Filling ideas for chocolate biscuits

carlos57, Jul 31, 6:04am
Yesterday I made some very yummy peanut butter double chocolate biscuits. The peanut butter mixture is in the middle of each biscuit. Any ideas for other fillings! Three of the five people in our house don't like peanut butter! The chocolate biscuit is very rich. TIA

strange, Jul 31, 6:06am
i saw some fillings for Kingston like biscuits. some said 150g of chocolate melted and cooled to thicken. other recipes said to add a couple of tablespoons of cream. Probably thickened cream!

carlos57, Jul 31, 6:08am
Thanks. Sounds delicious, but might be chocolate overload! That doesn't usually stop me though. The filling is baked in the middle of the biscuit, not used to sandwich them together.

245sam, Jul 31, 6:15am
carlos57, is my understanding correct.i.e. Are your biscuits chocolate without nothing peanut about them until/unless they're sandwiched together with the "peanut butter mixture"!If so I suggest that you make a coffee filling that would then combine two flavours that I enjoy together.Alternatively my suggestions would be a lemon, orange, peppermint, raspberry or simply a vanilla-flavoured filling.

Hope those thoughts help.:-))

Oops, I started my reply to you then got interrupted so didn't see your second posting re the fact that the filling doesn't actually sandwich the biscuits together as I had assumed was the case.They read as interesting biscuits.peanut butter (and chocolate too) is popular in our house so would you mind sharing the recipe please. :-))

ange164, Jul 31, 6:30am
A jersey caramel toffee would probably work well.

carlos57, Jul 31, 6:36am
Thanks for ideas :) 245sam, I'll post recipe soon. Yes, the actual biscuit is just a very rich chocolate mixture. Coffee would be nice for a coffee drinker, but not for this girl!

carlos57, Jul 31, 6:48am
Double-Chocolate Peanut Butter Biscuits
Filling
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup icing sugar
20g butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
Biscuits
50g butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
200g dark chocolate, melted
1 ¾ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 Tbspn cocoa
150g dark chocolate, chopped

Place all filling ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until light and fluffy. Refrigerate until firm. For biscuits, place butter, brown sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour in melted chocolate and mix to combine. Add sifted flour, baking powder and cocoa, and mix to combine. Stir through chopped chocolate. If mixture is too sticky, refrigerate for about 15 mins before handling. Take 2 Tbspns dough and roll into a ball, then flatten with the palm of your hand. Place 1 tsp of filling in the centre, and fold biscuit dough to enclose. Bake on baking tray lined with baking paper at 180⁰ for 10-12 minutes or until firm to the touch. Let cool slightly on tray, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes approx 18.

nauru, Jul 31, 6:52am
Coconut buttercream is nice.Make buttercream as normal and stir in 2 tablsp coconut and few drops coconut essence.Use it to sandwich biscuits together.

245sam, Jul 31, 7:01am
Thanks so much for posting the recipe carlos57.

Those biscuits look so delicious and remind me of a biscuit I made some time ago - the recipe was for a chocolate mixture, although from memory not as rich and chocolatey as your recipe, and instead of enclosing a peanut filling in the chocolate mixture the recipe called for cubes of chocolate - flavour of choice.I've only used that recipe once but the biscuits were nice, maybe a bit too sweet though.:-))

245sam, Jul 31, 7:02am
Yum - they do look nice.:-))

carlos57, Jul 31, 7:14am
Thanks :) Do you have any actual recipes for those filling ideas! Not sure how to get the right consistency. I guess a base filling could be used for all the different flavours!

valentino, Jul 31, 7:37am
2 thoughts here.

One is a filling like that used in "Yoyos" made with custard powder.

The other is what is used in filling chocolates as chocolates in a box type of chocolates.

245sam, Jul 31, 7:40am
carlos57, right now I can't think of any recipes that I have as substitute fillings but I've had another thought.
For those who don't like peanut butter, are there any nut allergy issues!If not, how about an alternative nut buttere.g. hazelnut butter or almond butter!:-))

Edited to add.My concern with any alternative filling would be that it needs to be a similar consistency to that of the peanut butter filling so that you could be sure that the filling didn't melt during baking and alter the consistency/texture of the whole biscuit.:-))

carlos57, Jul 31, 7:40am
Thanks. I think that a few of my recipe books have chocolate filling recipes. I'll have to investigate.

carlos57, Jul 31, 7:42am
245sam, I could try another nut butter, but I have a feeling that two of the children wouldn't be keen. I persuaded my husband who doesn't like peanut butter to try a biscuit, and he liked it :) The peanut butter flavour isn't too strong, but two of my stubborn children still won't try. Mind you, my daughter won't even sit near my son when he's eating peanut butter! She hates the smell. Oh well, all the more biscuits for the rest of us :)

245sam, Jul 31, 7:48am
If you used hazelnut butter and those two children still weren't keen, I take it then that they wouldn't like/don't eat Nutella which is chocolate + hazelnut.
:-))

carlos57, Jul 31, 7:55am
No, they don't. I haven't bought it for years. Two of our children were lactose intolerant for several years, and Nutella contains milk powder. Glad to say that they seem to have outgrown the intolerance :) Also, my husband was on a low protein diet until about four years ago, so we didn't have a lot of nut products in the house.

245sam, Jul 31, 8:01am
Another thought.I'm not sure how/if this would work but it may be worth a try - instead of the peanut butter how about using cream cheese (make sure it's the traditional type and not lite/light or spreadable) and instead of the vanilla, use whatever flavour you think your family would like!:-))

carlos57, Jul 31, 8:06am
Thanks again :) You're a wealth of ideas! I'll have to choose a few and give them a go. The biscuits are too fiddly and expensive to make TOO often.