How early can u make gingerbread house.

crystalmoon, Nov 2, 2:02am
Hello everyone,just wondering if I can cook off and make up a gingerbread house a week before needing it.Have a BBQ in a weeks time and would love to make one for the kids but would prefer to get it made at least 3 days min ahead of time.Would it be ok,or would it taste stale! any help greatly appreciated,cheers.

babytears, Nov 2, 2:04am
Yes, that would be fine - gingerbread keeps well. just store in a container until you make it

crystalmoon, Nov 2, 3:12am
Thanks babytears,so if I bake it this weekend and store it,then assemble say Wednesday for Saturday! would that be OK. I dont want to go to all that trouble and then it tastes yuk.Thanks

uli, Nov 2, 4:07am
Depends if it is for decoration only or to eat later.

For decoration: anytime from now.

For eating later: not more than 1 week before Xmas, as it will sit for another week or two before getting dismantled and eaten. It won't go stale if you use lots of honey, but it will dry out and get rock hard.

kay141, Nov 2, 4:10am
If T/A wants it for a BBQ in a week's time, why would she make it a week before Xmas!

babytears, Nov 2, 4:20am
Yes that would be fine - it wont go stale in that time. actually it would be a good idea as it wont be too fresh to assemble - just make sure that before you store it that it is completely cooled so it doesn't sweat

crystalmoon, Nov 2, 4:48am
Fantastic thank you all so much,will be busy baking this weekend,yay!

babytears, Nov 2, 4:51am
Have fun.oh and make sure also that when assembled that you store it in a cool dry place - perhaps underneath an upturned cardboard box

uli, Nov 2, 5:17am
Haha - good question!
I never thought of reading the lot obviously. A gingerbread house for me is Xmas fare. So yes - 1 week before eating is great! :)

shop-a-holic, Nov 2, 8:02am
Correct. I've purchased cellophane wrap to envelop the whole house too.