Crab Apple jam !!!!!

scottdaddy, Apr 2, 8:38pm
has anyone used the jam sugar sold in the supermarkets ,have about 3kg of apples any ideas or recipes ,thanks for your help

pickles7, Apr 2, 9:15pm
You should not have a problem getting crab apple jelly setting, using ordinary sugar.
I have seen the jam sugar in the supermarket but didn't even look at the price to compare it to ordinary sugar. I use a sugar thermometer every time I make jam, jelly etc. and have a pkt of pectin if there is a suspicion the fruit I am using dose not have enough natural pectin. I test the fruit, using meths.
sugar, is too expensive to, not get it right.

cgvl, Apr 2, 11:38pm
crab apple jelly.
Crab apples, washed and halved or quartered depending on size (small ones left whole)
water, enough to cover the apples in preserving pan.
Bring to boil and simmer until soft and mushy.
Strain through muslin, mutton cloth, tea towel or an old pillow case.
DO NOT Squeeze the bag as this will make jam/jelly cloudy.
Measure the liquid and add 3/4-1 cup of sugar per cup of liquid and the juice of 1-2 lemons.
Bring back to the boil stirring so sugar dissolves, the keep at a rolling boil/rapid simmer until some tested shows setting temp has been reached.
Bottle into clean sterilised hot jars and cover with lids.

joybells2, Apr 3, 4:17am
I have just made crab apple jam as my lot didnt want jelly.I did use a sachet of setting mix but dont think it would have needed it as it set beautifully and is a nice jam.

jag5, Apr 3, 5:12am
Apples are full of natural pectin...don't need jam setting mix.When I make jams or jellies, I usually throw in an apple or two as well, just for the pectin.

pickles7, Apr 3, 5:20am
a few whole cloves will give crab apple jelly a nice flavour, put them in at the start of cooking.

pickles7, Apr 3, 5:33am
great idea, even the pips tied up in alittle muslin, would do it
You can make and bottle, pectin, using apples.. It takes a while and really is not worth the power. If you are going to simmer something for two or more hours you should be looking at making a bulk lot.

pickles7, Apr 3, 9:15pm
You should not have a problem getting crab apple jelly setting, using ordinary sugar.
I have seen the jam sugar in the supermarket but didn't even look at the price to compare it to ordinary sugar. I use a sugar thermometer every time I make jam, jelly etc. and have a pkt of pectin if there is a suspicion the fruit I am using dose not have enough natural pectin. I test the fruit, using meths.
sugar, is too expensive to, not get it right.

jag5, Apr 4, 5:12am
Apples are full of natural pectin.don't need jam setting mix.When I make jams or jellies, I usually throw in an apple or two as well, just for the pectin.

pickles7, Apr 4, 5:33am
great idea, even the pips tied up in alittle muslin, would do it
You can make and bottle, pectin, using apples. It takes a while and really is not worth the power. If you are going to simmer something for two or more hours you should be looking at making a bulk lot.