Lard? Can you still get this?

Page 2 / 2
olwen, Mar 23, 2:04pm
In Blenheim we only have the choice of 3 Countdown supermarkets and New World.None of them carry lard.None of the butchers have lard.

I've always understood that lard is from pork, dripping is from beef and tallow is from mutton.Someof the "dripping" for sale is labelled as being made from beef and mutton.

brianmac, Mar 23, 4:24pm
You are correct kuaka.lard is from pork and dripping from beef

cookessentials, Mar 23, 4:28pm
You too are correct as I said above to kuaka. dripping is not from pork, lard is from pork and dripping is from beef. Sorry, I forgot I was under the brianmac username above LOL

cookessentials, Mar 23, 5:41pm
Yes, You can usually get it from New World, and I am sure the last time I looked it was from Freedom farms.You could always get yourself some larding needles and put the fat through your meat to keep it moist and tender.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 23, 5:46pm
Havoc Farms from down South used to sell lard by the 10kg block, but I can't see it mentioned on their latest online Products page. I found some lard at New World last week.

lythande1, Mar 23, 6:47pm
Because lard isn't strong tasting and fat from beef is. Sheep - forget it, way too strong - it would taint everything with sheep flavour.

helpless, Mar 23, 8:04pm
Only thing worth frying the Agria spuds in for your chips is the lard..Our forefathers knew best.

4boofs, Mar 23, 9:27pm
In Christchurch, pure pork lard is available from Euro Deli Meats in Westminster St, Hills Rd corner.

kay141, Mar 23, 11:51pm
I saw beef dripping abd pork lard at my local New World this morning. In the meat chiller with the small goods. They were in round pottles like honey.

kirinesha, Mar 24, 12:27am
.....duck fat is even better.

lythande1, Mar 24, 6:47pm
Because lard isn't strong tasting and fat from beef is. Sheep - forget it, way too strong - it would taint everything with sheep flavour.

helpless, Mar 24, 8:04pm
Only thing worth frying the Agria spuds in for your chips is the lard or dripping.either does.Our forefathers knew best.

glynsmum, Mar 24, 8:49pm
I gave up on trying to get lard at Countdown Blenheim when the assistant aged about 40 had never heard of it?
I bought shortening in stead. for pastry.

kirinesha, Mar 25, 12:27am
.duck fat is even better.

glynsmum, Mar 25, 8:49pm
I gave up on trying to get lard at Countdown Blenheim when the assistant aged about 40 had never heard of it!
I bought shortening in stead. for pastry.