Lard? Can you still get this?

Page 1 / 2
beaker59, Mar 22, 5:51am
Sure can at some supermarkets though I prefer dripping myself as I am into recycling.

bisloy, Mar 22, 6:20am
ditto beaker

olwen, Mar 22, 7:36am
I can't find lard.Anda lot of dripping is from beef and mutton.Since when did dripping come from mutton?

fisher, Mar 22, 7:59am
I render down pork fat and get the crackling as a bonus...

kuaka, Mar 22, 8:07am
beaker59 - and where does recycling come into the difference between dripping and lard.Sorry, I'm confused by your comment.Please explain.

whitehead., Mar 22, 8:24am
you should be able to get it at the super market .i get it as i like cooking with it . i also make mt own by buying pork skin and roasting it for the dogs treats ,you get lots of fat from it

beaker59, Mar 22, 8:31am
In my kitchen Lard is bought(though not often) and dripping is what I get from the roasts etc so recycled I also reuse it if frying something that renders down its own fat like frying pork chops that gets added back to the dripping jar in the fridge. Its just a comment wasn't expecting to have to justify it ;)

I like Fishers idea of rendering down pork skin for crackling and pork fat which makes the best cooking fat I reckon.

kuaka, Mar 22, 10:09am
beaker - I didn't ask you to justify it - I asked you to explain, as I found the comment rather confusing.I find it interesting that you say if you are frying pork chops the fat gets added to the dripping jar, asI always understood that dripping was from beef and lard from pork, which is why the "recycled" bit was confusing for me.

Both dripping and lard are normally available at my local supermarket.I always used a 50/50 mix of lard and butter for pastry-making, but my husband prefers it made with all butter.

beaker59, Mar 22, 10:32am
OK Lard is rendered fat from the processors usually Beef in this country. Dripping is the fat that comes out of any roast I do in my kitchen that is saved. Could be anything Beef lamb chicken duck etc thus to me Lard is bought at a shop and Dripping is what I collect myself therefore recycled. :)

I save all fats here because fat is flavour I am a hunter and most game meats lack fat so I need plenty to bring out the flavour. I also prefer the fats to vegetable oils with many meats when I cook chicken breast I render the skins first to give the fats to fry it in makes for tastier moisterchicken and some say healthier to.

kuaka, Mar 22, 10:53am
okay beaker - although I disagree that lard is usually made from beef - dripping is usually from beef, lard from pork.What you buy in the shops are totally different in taste, smell and texture.Mum always kept her "dripping" from the roasts but I don't, and now do all my roasts in rice bran oil.I remove the skin on chicken (before I cook if I'm cooking breasts only, or after cooking if I'm roasting a whole chook) as neither of us like it.

ace441, Mar 22, 11:11am
My Mum always told me you use dripping for red meat - beef and lamb - and lard for white meat - pork, chicken, turkey. When you buy in blocks at the supermarket it does taste different so Mum use to always toss a cut onion into the roasting pan with the lard or dripping and the veges and this does make a difference. Also dripping cools firm and lard cools soft and mushy - if like me you store in containers without labelling and forget which is which! I save all my bacon fat, chicken fat, beef fat - a roast just isn't a roast without it, we use it to roast the veges in, to make the gravy and to oil the pan for the yorkshire puddings mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

elliehen, Mar 22, 11:31am
And you'd be right, kuaka.

"lard n. The white solid or semisolid rendered fat of a hog."

olwen, Mar 22, 2:04pm
In Blenheim we only have the choice of 3 Countdown supermarkets and New World.None of them carry lard.None of the butchers have lard.

I've always understood that lard is from pork, dripping is from beef and tallow is from mutton.Someof the "dripping" for sale is labelled as being made from beef and mutton.

brianmac, Mar 22, 4:24pm
You are correct kuaka...lard is from pork and dripping from beef

cookessentials, Mar 22, 4:28pm
You too are correct as I said above to kuaka. dripping is not from pork, lard is from pork and dripping is from beef. Sorry, I forgot I was under the brianmac username above LOL

bedazzledjewels, Mar 22, 5:46pm
Havoc Farms from down South used to sell lard by the 10kg block, but I can't see it mentioned on their latest online Products page. I found some lard at New World last week.

accroul, Mar 22, 6:56pm
For those looking for Lard - in my Foodtown/Countdown (opposite sides of the same mall!) the lard is in the meat chillers. - a slightly trapezoid block in a blue & white wrapper.

olwen, Mar 23, 7:36am
I can't find lard.Anda lot of dripping is from beef and mutton.Since when did dripping come from mutton!

fisher, Mar 23, 7:59am
I render down pork fat and get the crackling as a bonus.

kuaka, Mar 23, 8:07am
beaker59 - and where does recycling come into the difference between dripping and lard.Sorry, I'm confused by your comment.Please explain.

beaker59, Mar 23, 8:31am
In my kitchen Lard is bought(though not often) and dripping is what I get from the roasts etc so recycled I also reuse it if frying something that renders down its own fat like frying pork chops that gets added back to the dripping jar in the fridge. Its just a comment wasn't expecting to have to justify it ;)

I like Fishers idea of rendering down pork skin for crackling and pork fat which makes the best cooking fat I reckon.

kuaka, Mar 23, 10:09am
beaker - I didn't ask you to justify it - I asked you to explain, as I found the comment rather confusing.I find it interesting that you say if you are frying pork chops the fat gets added to the dripping jar, asI always understood that dripping was from beef and lard from pork, which is why the "recycled" bit was confusing for me.

Both dripping and lard are normally available at my local supermarket.I always used a 50/50 mix of lard and butter for pastry-making, but my husband prefers it made with all butter.

kuaka, Mar 23, 10:53am
okay beaker - although I disagree that lard is usually made from beef - dripping is usually from beef, lard from pork.What you buy in the shops are totally different in taste, smell and texture.Mum always kept her "dripping" from the roasts but I don't, and now do all my roasts in rice bran oil.I remove the skin on chicken (before I cook if I'm cooking breasts only, or after cooking if I'm roasting a whole chook) as neither of us like it.

ace441, Mar 23, 11:11am
My Mum always told me you use dripping for red meat - beef and lamb - and lard for white meat - pork, chicken, turkey. When you buy in blocks at the supermarket it does taste different so Mum use to always toss a cut onion into the roasting pan with the lard or dripping and the veges and this does make a difference. Also dripping cools firm and lard cools soft and mushy - if like me you store in containers without labelling and forget which is which! I save all my bacon fat, chicken fat, beef fat - a roast just isn't a roast without it, we use it to roast the veges in, to make the gravy and to oil the pan for the yorkshire puddings mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

elliehen, Mar 23, 11:31am
And you'd be right, kuaka.

"lard n. The white solid or semisolid rendered fat of a hog."