TVP

Page 1 / 3
suckerman, Mar 2, 8:06pm
Hi, can anyone tell me where to buy TVP in South Canterbury, thanks, also recipes to make it more interesting.

rainrain1, Mar 2, 8:50pm
Whats TVP.....could think up a few things but i oughta better not

rainrain1, Mar 2, 8:53pm
True Vapour Pressure.....?

elliehen, Mar 2, 9:03pm
Textured Vegetable Protein :)

cgvl, Mar 2, 11:01pm
used to get it from supermarkets, but not sure if still available, been awhile since I last looked.
Was made by Sanitarium if my memory serves me right.
try their website, they may be able to help.

uli, Mar 2, 11:02pm
Pak'n'Save here even had tinned tvp for a while.

cgvl, Mar 2, 11:08pm
I just looked on the Sanitarium website and it looks like they have changed the name.
In a tin and called vege bites or similar. Will have a look when I do the shopping next as I sometimes use for non meat meals when entertaining meat lovers lol

uli, Mar 2, 11:15pm
I would hope that you do tell the "meat lovers" what you feed them before dinner though. I would be very upset if I got fed soybeans in heavy disguise (not that I wouldn't notice though).

I'd rather not eat any of that stuff myself and would stick to the salads or veges in that case. I think it would be common courtesy to leave it up to the visitors to decide if they want to eat soy or not.

buzzy110, Mar 2, 11:23pm
Totally agree. I go to great lengths to provide vegetarian alternatives for vego guests and would never feed them animal protein they didn't eat, even heavily disguised, so it is only fair that vegetarians offer non-vegos the same courtesy IMO.

uli, Mar 2, 11:24pm
Have you tried the Christchurch Vegetarian Centre? They will certainly have it.

http://www.vegetarianchristchurch.org.nz/shopping.html

As to making it more interesting: A lot of people soak the dry bits in soy sauce to make it taste a bit better, then use in stir fries.

If you are vegetarian and want to use tvp for extra protein then there is also nut"meat" or simply nuts, beans, yoghurt, cheese etc - all of which is most likely easier to get and nicer to the body.

Good luck!

buzzy110, Mar 2, 11:24pm
For instance. I had a vego for Xmas lunch. I did a degustation menu that lasted more than 8 hours. For every course that involved food he wouldn't eat, I supplied a delicious alternative. It took me twice as long in prep because of that. However, when I go to his place for dinner he cooks me roast lamb. Fair's fair.

frances1266, Mar 2, 11:46pm
TVP is a dried product.Pour boiling water over, drain and fry in a little oil

and cook in the same way as you would mince.Ignore the terrible two!
Health food shops should stock it.

elliehen, Mar 2, 11:57pm
A useful TVP product is 'Sun Valley' brandbacon bits which you can sprinkle on a poached egg without even rehydrating.

It's not necessary to buy cans of things shaped like fake meat - that's a particularly Seventh Day Adventist Vegetarian angle from Sanitarium, the company they founded.

vintagekitty, Mar 3, 12:00am
lol buzzy, was it the menu that lasted 8 hours or you talking at him, telling him "what to do, how to do it and how you know everything about it" for the 8 hours.

God, it would be like water boarding torture.

elliehen, Mar 3, 12:32am
"I had a vego for Xmas lunch" sounds like a delicious salad combo ;)

patxyz, Mar 3, 12:34am
Bin Inn? (they have it at Greymouth one)

vintagekitty, Mar 3, 12:34am
or something Hannibal Lector would say!

elliehen, Mar 3, 12:37am
Now I am really afraid....

ant_sonja, Mar 3, 12:59am
Have seen it at our local bin in in various forms - might pay to look there if you have a store near by? As to making it more interesting...no idea sorry - maybe play around with marinades & different seasonings on a small scale - cook a bit up and see what you think :-)

buzzy110, Mar 3, 2:03am
God you are a nasty piece of work VK.

vintagekitty, Mar 3, 4:09am
are you being ironic?

cookessentials, Mar 3, 4:14am
Cant even begin to imagine 8 hours at a table with buzzy110!

cookessentials, Mar 3, 4:15am
Mmm, sounds familiar LOL..pot,kettle,black somehow springs to mind LOL

vintagekitty, Mar 3, 4:17am
I know, I know. I thought that straight away. Delusionial, I tell you!!!!

cookessentials, Mar 3, 6:31am
How are you getting along VK?