I have a thought - can this work???

Page 2 / 2
lythande1, Feb 27, 2:09am
Come on. By the time you stuff around doing all that it will be all over.
Just give money.
I just donated a bit via one of the TM links to agencies collection - paid on the Visa.
I'm not rich either but it all adds up and it took me 2 minutes and it's doine.
Just get on with it and give a bit of money.

lythande1, Feb 27, 2:09am
Come on. By the time you stuff around doing all that it will be all over.
Just give money.
I just donated a bit via one of the TM links to agencies collection - paid on the Visa.
I'm not rich either but it all adds up and it took me 2 minutes and it's doine.
Just get on with it and give a bit of money.

pixiegirl, Feb 27, 2:23am
Thanks for your imput - all over - dont think so - think it is going to be a long time before it is all over.Next week, next month or months - they are going to need all the help and support they can get.Great if you have spare cash - definately donate.This is just another way we can give back.You dont know till you try and thats all I'm trying to do - thinking outside the box!!

pixiegirl, Feb 27, 2:23am
Thanks for your imput - all over - dont think so - think it is going to be a long time before it is all over.Next week, next month or months - they are going to need all the help and support they can get.Great if you have spare cash - definately donate.This is just another way we can give back.You dont know till you try and thats all I'm trying to do - thinking outside the box!

cookessentials, Feb 27, 5:48pm
It wont be "over" for years to come I'm afraid...the rebuilding of broken buildings, broken lives and terrified minds is going to be ongoing. Throwing money at something is not always the best solution,especially initially. I think it is wonderful that there are those who are wanting to help in any way they can rather than just chucking money at the problem

cookessentials, Feb 27, 5:48pm
It wont be "over" for years to come I'm afraid.the rebuilding of broken buildings, broken lives and terrified minds is going to be ongoing. Throwing money at something is not always the best solution,especially initially. I think it is wonderful that there are those who are wanting to help in any way they can rather than just chucking money at the problem

lythande1, Feb 27, 7:11pm
Outside the box.
Right.
Think inside it.
What do they need? Water, toilets, accomodation - they're buying camping gear.
Also a lot won't have income, workplaces are trashed, they have to keep paying bills.
You're not even practical, you think other businesses will help you do this. They won't. They're busy contributing already in their own ways.
Give Money Not Goods:
New Zealand Red Crosssupports this view for the following reasons:

1. One of the most important factors that can support the recovery of an affected community is the restoration of livelihoods or the generation of economic activity. Importing household goods or donated items into a country bypassing existing market structures and systems can damage local retailers and businesses and affect market prices especially in poorer communities.

2. Collecting, storing and shipping donated goods takes time. More often than not by the time the goods are ready to be sent or have arrived in the country a few weeks later the emergency relief phase is over or the priorities have changed. What sounded like a good idea at the time is now out of date.

3. The relief requirements of a disaster are best determined by the affected populations through the relevant Government or mandated agency in the affected country not third parties or external agencies. This ensures that any assistance is based on assessed need not assumption and the response is coordinated. Assessments and distributions that are not properly coordinated can create unnecessary tensions between communities.

4 Unsolicited or unwanted aid especially containers can clog up ports and logistics chains creating delays and distracting relief staff and resources from more important or relevant tasks. This is widely known as the "second disaster". Commonly organisations especially Red Cross or NGOs that are mandated to coordinate and deliver relief are left with large quantities of goods that aren't required, sometimes at great cost.

5. Years of experience have taught the Red Cross the types of emergency aid that may be required during a disaster or conflict. These items which can include tarpaulins, blankets, kitchen sets, jerry cans etc. are available in warehouses in large quantities throughout the world. Across the Pacific region there are over 80 pre positioned shipping containers stocked with such standardized items and they are brand new. In Auckland New Zealand Red Cross has stored enough emergency relief items for 5000 people.

6. When disaster relief organisations such as the Red Cross ask for cash to support their disaster activities it is not because they are being greedy it is because buying or sourcing goods locally or utilising standardized internationally recognised relief items is by far the preferred and proven option.

7. Cash is more easily collected , transferred, distributed and accounted for.

You are wasting time.

lythande1, Feb 27, 7:11pm
Outside the box.
Right.
Think inside it.
What do they need! Water, toilets, accomodation - they're buying camping gear.
Also a lot won't have income, workplaces are trashed, they have to keep paying bills.
You're not even practical, you think other businesses will help you do this. They won't. They're busy contributing already in their own ways.
Give Money Not Goods:
New Zealand Red Crosssupports this view for the following reasons:

1. One of the most important factors that can support the recovery of an affected community is the restoration of livelihoods or the generation of economic activity. Importing household goods or donated items into a country bypassing existing market structures and systems can damage local retailers and businesses and affect market prices especially in poorer communities.

2. Collecting, storing and shipping donated goods takes time. More often than not by the time the goods are ready to be sent or have arrived in the country a few weeks later the emergency relief phase is over or the priorities have changed. What sounded like a good idea at the time is now out of date.

3. The relief requirements of a disaster are best determined by the affected populations through the relevant Government or mandated agency in the affected country not third parties or external agencies. This ensures that any assistance is based on assessed need not assumption and the response is coordinated. Assessments and distributions that are not properly coordinated can create unnecessary tensions between communities.

4 Unsolicited or unwanted aid especially containers can clog up ports and logistics chains creating delays and distracting relief staff and resources from more important or relevant tasks. This is widely known as the "second disaster". Commonly organisations especially Red Cross or NGOs that are mandated to coordinate and deliver relief are left with large quantities of goods that aren't required, sometimes at great cost.

5. Years of experience have taught the Red Cross the types of emergency aid that may be required during a disaster or conflict. These items which can include tarpaulins, blankets, kitchen sets, jerry cans etc. are available in warehouses in large quantities throughout the world. Across the Pacific region there are over 80 pre positioned shipping containers stocked with such standardized items and they are brand new. In Auckland New Zealand Red Cross has stored enough emergency relief items for 5000 people.

6. When disaster relief organisations such as the Red Cross ask for cash to support their disaster activities it is not because they are being greedy it is because buying or sourcing goods locally or utilising standardized internationally recognised relief items is by far the preferred and proven option.

7. Cash is more easily collected , transferred, distributed and accounted for.

You are wasting time.

pixiegirl, Feb 27, 9:13pm
Dont think I am wasting my time - maybe you are wasting your!
Did you even bother to read the whole of post one or did you just jump in!
I said about donated goods - whilst we have stuff to give - it would most likely land up in landfill because of the logistics of it.

I was thinking inside the box - but to no avail other than cash donations - which is why I started to think outside the box and what we could do as a community to raise funds.I think this is a great idea and cant see why it wouldn't work if we all worked together.The sale of the books = money to the relief fund - have gone a full circle haven't we - money will be donated.
If we cant find some companies to help with paper printed etc and we have to pay - so be it.However as has been regualarly said NZ is a country of 2% of seperation - someone is going to know someone.We dont know till we try do we.You know we are all trying to do the same thing here.Help Christchurch get back on its feet.

pixiegirl, Feb 27, 9:13pm
Dont think I am wasting my time - maybe you are wasting your!
Did you even bother to read the whole of post one or did you just jump in!
I said about donated goods - whilst we have stuff to give - it would most likely land up in landfill because of the logistics of it.

I was thinking inside the box - but to no avail other than cash donations - which is why I started to think outside the box and what we could do as a community to raise funds.I think this is a great idea and cant see why it wouldn't work if we all worked together.The sale of the books = money to the relief fund - have gone a full circle haven't we - money will be donated.
If we cant find some companies to help with paper printed etc and we have to pay - so be it.However as has been regualarly said NZ is a country of 2% of seperation - someone is going to know someone.We dont know till we try do we.You know we are all trying to do the same thing here.Help Christchurch get back on its feet.

pixiegirl, Feb 27, 9:21pm
Also lay off the people doing the baking - they are doing a bloody fantastic job -a mum with small children, an eldery person or just anyone who has been through this would definately appreciate the kindness of others.Be it a plate of goodies, some homemade soup or whatever - it is all appreciated.A lot of people have been left in the suburbs alone with damaged buildings etc, no way of getting out or getting anything, possible no money to buy things either or no way of getting to shops.Are you going to turn around and say to these people - dont take that plate of home made cooking - you have to wait till the red cross arrives and gives you money.No - let them get on with it.There are plenty of people to feed down there - people affected, volunteers, army, student army - everybody.
Mayor Bob Parker encouraged people in the outer lying areas to check on their neighbours and help out where they can and that is what these people are doing.No doubt they have given cash donations as well as many other things.Just leave them alone and let them get on it.It makes me very humble to be part of a country where the community spirit is so strong.

To all you lovely people out there baking - keep up the good work!!!

pixiegirl, Feb 27, 9:21pm
Also lay off the people doing the baking - they are doing a bloody fantastic job -a mum with small children, an eldery person or just anyone who has been through this would definately appreciate the kindness of others.Be it a plate of goodies, some homemade soup or whatever - it is all appreciated.A lot of people have been left in the suburbs alone with damaged buildings etc, no way of getting out or getting anything, possible no money to buy things either or no way of getting to shops.Are you going to turn around and say to these people - dont take that plate of home made cooking - you have to wait till the red cross arrives and gives you money.No - let them get on with it.There are plenty of people to feed down there - people affected, volunteers, army, student army - everybody.
Mayor Bob Parker encouraged people in the outer lying areas to check on their neighbours and help out where they can and that is what these people are doing.No doubt they have given cash donations as well as many other things.Just leave them alone and let them get on it.It makes me very humble to be part of a country where the community spirit is so strong.

To all you lovely people out there baking - keep up the good work!

fastlanenz, Feb 27, 9:31pm
pixiegirl, could you drop me a line -

info@fundraisingforschools.co.-
nz
... I would love to help, and have produced many cookbooks, have a template, etc ... would be glad to donate my time

fastlanenz, Feb 27, 9:31pm
pixiegirl, could you drop me a line -

info@fundraisingforschools.co.-
nz
. I would love to help, and have produced many cookbooks, have a template, etc . would be glad to donate my time

pixiegirl, Feb 27, 9:42pm
You are an angel - will drop you a line soon have to go out but wuill be back soon.Thank you so much

melinda1, Feb 28, 8:40am
Pixiegirl I think this is a great idea and happy to help also.Email me if i can assist with recipes or copying etc. This project could go one producing funds for Christchurch for months to come and heaven knows they will be rebuilding for many many years. Good on you. elspie@vodafone.co.nz

pixiegirl, Feb 28, 9:04pm
You have mail.

pickles7, Mar 4, 9:47am
With you on this. I donated on my phone. Had some kids knocking on my door today, I am done.Probably will attend other functions as they come up to raise funds.

pickles7, Mar 4, 10:11am
copyright issues come about when recipes are sold. So many recipes on trade me are printed from cook books.You could do better to donate the 1 ,2 ,or 3 thousand dollars it would cost to print the books, to a specific cause. Plunket, as one example, meals on wheels, may be.
Sorry, I put this in the wrong thread first time.

pixiegirl, Mar 5, 10:42pm
Hi cant seem to get email through to you.