I have a thought - can this work???

Page 1 / 2
pixiegirl, Feb 26, 2:05am
There are so many people who, I think,like me feel so helpless, being so far away from Christchurch and safe while so many people down there are not so lucky.They are saying dont donate goods, they need cash instead.Like many I have things I could donate to them but the last thing you want to do is fill up the place with unwanted goods that will most likely end up landfill somewhere.Than I put my thinking cap on!!

I always love the recipes site and have been grateful of advice and recipes given from EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE - we are ALL part of this community.I am not a recipe poster as such but I know many of you are and are well know for your recipes.I know this has been discussed before but could we maybe do a ChCh earthquake recipe book and all funds go to the appeal, eg to Salvation army - mayors fund etc.My thought are it needs to be given to a funding place where all the funds are given to the appeal and no red tape in the middle to take from the funds. 100% to the ones who need it.

The thought of just someone doing this by themselves is huge - however would it work if several people took on "sections" of a recipe book, eg starters, cakes, fish etc and just do a copy and paste to a word document and once done email that doc to say a "co-ordinator" who would put them all together and get to a printer for printing.Maybe there would be a printing company out there who could do it for us for free or good price.Maybe big company like Warehouse stationery etc could donate paper for printing or envelopes for posting, maybe NZ post could help with the postage.Could be advertised on here for sale, maybe through facebook as well - most of us on facebook would have friends all over the place that would be happy to purchase or anywhere we could put it for sale.We could post to Aussie or overseas or have it in the form of an eBook for anyone overseas wanting it.We would needa bank account so as we could track payments through and once person paid, funds transferred to the appeal.Maybe this could be done in conjunction with TradeMe.We could than have people (volunteers) set up with copies of the book and a list sent to them of who they need to send copies to in the mail.They address them and pop them in the post.

And before anyone says - YES we need to have permission of the owners of the recipes before they could be used.

In my head I can see the recipe book - maybe something on the cover like this:
THE TRADE ME COMMUNITY
CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE APPEAL
RECIPE BOOK
with maybe a picture of the cathederal on the front or something relevant. Please dont bite my head off for mentioning the cathederal - I know people didn't make it there and the last thing I want to do is upset people more - but something like the cathederal is so "Christchurch".Christchurch cannot be forgotten - the strenght of people there is amazing -I have no doubt it will rise again and once again be the beautiful city it was and is.

Let me know your thoughts on this - anything I haven't thought of - anything at all - can this be done or not with all of us working together.Pat

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 2:05am
There are so many people who, I think,like me feel so helpless, being so far away from Christchurch and safe while so many people down there are not so lucky.They are saying dont donate goods, they need cash instead.Like many I have things I could donate to them but the last thing you want to do is fill up the place with unwanted goods that will most likely end up landfill somewhere.Than I put my thinking cap on!

I always love the recipes site and have been grateful of advice and recipes given from EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE - we are ALL part of this community.I am not a recipe poster as such but I know many of you are and are well know for your recipes.I know this has been discussed before but could we maybe do a ChCh earthquake recipe book and all funds go to the appeal, eg to Salvation army - mayors fund etc.My thought are it needs to be given to a funding place where all the funds are given to the appeal and no red tape in the middle to take from the funds. 100% to the ones who need it.

The thought of just someone doing this by themselves is huge - however would it work if several people took on "sections" of a recipe book, eg starters, cakes, fish etc and just do a copy and paste to a word document and once done email that doc to say a "co-ordinator" who would put them all together and get to a printer for printing.Maybe there would be a printing company out there who could do it for us for free or good price.Maybe big company like Warehouse stationery etc could donate paper for printing or envelopes for posting, maybe NZ post could help with the postage.Could be advertised on here for sale, maybe through facebook as well - most of us on facebook would have friends all over the place that would be happy to purchase or anywhere we could put it for sale.We could post to Aussie or overseas or have it in the form of an eBook for anyone overseas wanting it.We would needa bank account so as we could track payments through and once person paid, funds transferred to the appeal.Maybe this could be done in conjunction with TradeMe.We could than have people (volunteers) set up with copies of the book and a list sent to them of who they need to send copies to in the mail.They address them and pop them in the post.

And before anyone says - YES we need to have permission of the owners of the recipes before they could be used.

In my head I can see the recipe book - maybe something on the cover like this:
THE TRADE ME COMMUNITY
CHRISTCHURCH EARTHQUAKE APPEAL
RECIPE BOOK
with maybe a picture of the cathederal on the front or something relevant. Please dont bite my head off for mentioning the cathederal - I know people didn't make it there and the last thing I want to do is upset people more - but something like the cathederal is so "Christchurch".Christchurch cannot be forgotten - the strenght of people there is amazing -I have no doubt it will rise again and once again be the beautiful city it was and is.

Let me know your thoughts on this - anything I haven't thought of - anything at all - can this be done or not with all of us working together.Pat

jessie981, Feb 26, 2:31am
Lovely thought pixiegirl & yes we will rise again. Fortunately I have only had minor damage & have power & water now, Our family don't know of anyone missing or gone. It is just so devastating. You've got to see the damage to comprehend what it's really like.

jessie981, Feb 26, 2:31am
Lovely thought pixiegirl & yes we will rise again. Fortunately I have only had minor damage & have power & water now, Our family don't know of anyone missing or gone. It is just so devastating. You've got to see the damage to comprehend what it's really like.

2halls, Feb 26, 2:38am
It's a lovely idea,and I will just give you another simple suggestion that some of you may like to take on board !I have had this done for me,so know how lovely it is . if you have a friend in CHCH on prepay phones,buy them a top up,txt them the number so they can load the credit,and 'shout' them some phone time.All our phones have been getting a hammering,and not everybody wants to go out to get a top up.Just a thought to share .:-)

2halls, Feb 26, 2:38am
It's a lovely idea,and I will just give you another simple suggestion that some of you may like to take on board ?I have had this done for me,so know how lovely it is ... if you have a friend in CHCH on prepay phones,buy them a top up,txt them the number so they can load the credit,and 'shout' them some phone time.All our phones have been getting a hammering,and not everybody wants to go out to get a top up.Just a thought to share ...:-)

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 2:38am
Thanks jessie - I had a friend who posted on fb about the damage - I think he said think of the worst possible scenario and multiply that many many times over.Glad you are safe.

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 2:41am
yes 2halls great idea - I have gone into NZ post before to top up my own mobile - thinking I would get a prepay voucher and they actually just pop your number in and it automatically comes through to your phone - all done and no need to text in long strings of numbers.That was with vodaphone and not sure if all PO can do that.

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 2:42am
That might be easier than texting through the number to friends etc was what I meant to say as well

elliehen, Feb 26, 3:01am
pixiegirl, I think it is too big a task, even if the work is shared.Why not just encourage Trade Me to have the Quake as its 'round-up' charity for success fees and then all traders in the Trade Me community can help.

So many recipes here are unsourced repostings from other books or places, or reworkings of recipes, and even finding out who 'owns' a recipe is fraught with problems.

elliehen, Feb 26, 3:01am
pixiegirl, I think it is too big a task, even if the work is shared.Why not just encourage Trade Me to have the Quake as its 'round-up' charity for success fees and then all traders in the Trade Me community can help.

So many recipes here are unsourced repostings from other books or places, or reworkings of recipes, and even finding out who 'owns' a recipe is fraught with problems.

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 3:11am
ellie I wasn't thinking of doing the whole lot of recipes in the recipe section- maybe so many of each type - maybe the ones that are always asked for and real popular.I think it can be done as a shared load.
What do others think!Interested in your thoughts.

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 3:11am
ellie I wasn't thinking of doing the whole lot of recipes in the recipe section- maybe so many of each type - maybe the ones that are always asked for and real popular.I think it can be done as a shared load.
What do others think?Interested in your thoughts.

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 3:12am
ellie you should suggest that idea to TM for the round up.Every little bit helps

andrea1978, Feb 26, 4:24am
Great idea & would make more than we would think I'm sure.

fisher, Feb 26, 4:42am
pixie girl.you are welcome to take any recipes you choose from "Fishers Kitchen"to add to the recipe book. Just let the organiser know the address and help yourself. hope it can be of some help if it comes to fruition.

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/recipes.htm

Maybe folks could list a recipe they have tried and like from the site to be included.

fisher, Feb 26, 4:42am
pixie girl...you are welcome to take any recipes you choose from "Fishers Kitchen"to add to the recipe book... Just let the organiser know the address and help yourself... hope it can be of some help...

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/recipes.htm

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 8:15pm
bumping up for morning girls and guys

davidt4, Feb 26, 10:02pm
I've just done the shopping at New World, and they are collecting donations to Red Cross.You can just add your donation to your total.It seems like a quick, clean and administratively simple way to help.

davidt4, Feb 26, 10:02pm
I've just done the shopping at New World, and they are collecting donations to Red Cross.You can just add your donation to your total.It seems like a quick, clean and administratively simple way to help.

elliehen, Feb 26, 10:28pm
pixiegirl, your idea comes from the heart, but davidt4 is correct.At this time, the aid agencies are even being very selective about what they want for such things as their food parcels - e.g. toilet paper, not perishable food.. because they have liaised with grocery suppliers for their food distribution centre.

Similarly, fund-raising projects on a small scale like this divert attention from that "quick, clean and administratively simple way to help".

It is money, right now, that is most helpful.

elliehen, Feb 26, 10:28pm
pixiegirl, your idea comes from the heart, but davidt4 is correct.At this time, the aid agencies are even being very selective about what they want for such things as their food parcels - e.g. toilet paper, not perishable food. because they have liaised with grocery suppliers for their food distribution centre.

Similarly, fund-raising projects on a small scale like this divert attention from that "quick, clean and administratively simple way to help".

It is money, right now, that is most helpful.

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 11:01pm
Fisher - many thanks - much appreciated.
Helen - great idea also - good on New World.

ellie good about the other thread re rounding up fees - however bear in mind that not all people on TM are sellers, many people dont sell enough for this to be beneficial on a bigger scale.Many people also just dont have the spare funds to donante as much as they wish they could.However helping with something like this may be just their way of paying it forward - taking their minds of things for a wee while and creating something that can be useful and retain the memory of a great city - something that can be handed down for generations.... "that's the book TM community created after the quake and raised $xxxx's for the people affected." - wouldn't that be great.

If there were say 10 people who could type up or copy and paste say just 20 recipes each - that would be 200 recipes for the book in no time.A shared task.

You could include in as well maybe handy hints section - a disaster section which states what people need to have in a disaster (civil defence list plus a list of what people who have been through it would suggest to also have).

Sections could be.
A Tribute
Soups
Starters
Finger food/party food
Mains
Vegeratian
Gluten Free
Low carb
Cakes
Slices
Jams
Pickles etc
Deserts

Plus many other ideas as well.

Keep the thoughts coming.

pixiegirl, Feb 26, 11:01pm
Fisher - many thanks - much appreciated.
Helen - great idea also - good on New World.

ellie good about the other thread re rounding up fees - however bear in mind that not all people on TM are sellers, many people dont sell enough for this to be beneficial on a bigger scale.Many people also just dont have the spare funds to donante as much as they wish they could.However helping with something like this may be just their way of paying it forward - taking their minds of things for a wee while and creating something that can be useful and retain the memory of a great city - something that can be handed down for generations. "that's the book TM community created after the quake and raised $xxxx's for the people affected." - wouldn't that be great.

If there were say 10 people who could type up or copy and paste say just 20 recipes each - that would be 200 recipes for the book in no time.A shared task.

You could include in as well maybe handy hints section - a disaster section which states what people need to have in a disaster (civil defence list plus a list of what people who have been through it would suggest to also have).

Sections could be.
A Tribute
Soups
Starters
Finger food/party food
Mains
Vegeratian
Gluten Free
Low carb
Cakes
Slices
Jams