Sauerkraut

Page 6 / 11
spot20, Oct 8, 5:05am
This week its gastritis, which I reckon I was born with!

uli, Oct 8, 5:20am
Nobody is born with gastritis.

spot20, Oct 8, 6:56am
Yeah I know but it sure feels like it!!

buzzy110, Oct 8, 9:59am
I have just looked up gastritis. As someone who suffers from rude good health I never know what any illness is even though I hear about people with all sorts of illnesses all the time. Anyway, gastritis looks absolutely horrible and the picture I saw makes me glad I haven't got gastritis. What course of action are you planning on taking to relieve or cure your illness spot?

spot20, Oct 8, 8:10pm
I truly envy you Buzzy!! At the moment I am taking Slippery Elm powder two or three times a day along with aloe vera juice playing around with some dietry changes .

buzzy110, Oct 8, 10:32pm
Just a suggestion, but all plant based foods come with enzymes which help breakdown that particular food (synergy). Unfortunately those enzymes are destroyed in the cooking process. Why not start eating more raw foods such as fruit and salads, with sauerkraut and fermented vegetables to help digest the cooked foods you eat. Sauerkraut and fermented vegetables (if you make them yourself) are uncooked and therefore have all their enzymes intact. Also the fermentation process partially breaks down the food making it even more easy to digest.

buzzy110, Oct 8, 10:32pm
I can post info on how to make lacto-fermented veg if you like. It is really easy but you will have to wait a month before you can start eating them. If you make a good quantity, they improve with age.

spot20, Oct 9, 3:17am
Thanks buzzy, the recipe would be great! As for raw foods - they just aggravate everything - my digestion is much happier with cooked generally!

racheee, Oct 9, 8:45pm
Have started eating my first batch of sauerkraut and it is fantastic!Yummy with my ginger carrots!Love fermented foods!

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:09am
It is fantastic isn't it rachee. Glad to see another convert.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:15am
Lacto Fermented Carrot Sticks. For approx 700gms of carrots.
Cut carrots into classic kiwi sticks (I make mine small using my mandolin) and put into a preserving jar or jars
3tspns unprocessed rock or sea salt (disolved in 1/4cup boiling water)
Add 4 Tbspns whey
Your choice of flavourings - plain, coriander seeds, allspice berries, black pepper, chillies, juniper berries (I crush the hard spices)
Add filtered water or rain water or bottled water
Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for about 3 days to start the fermentation process then refrigerate. Eat in about a month.
Note: Even though your lids are screwed down tight it will still overflow once fermentation begins. I usually leave mine in my unused bath tub on an old towel. You can also not fill to the brim but rmember you have to make sure your vegetables are submerged.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:24am
to make Whey - Buy a large pottle of unsweetened, plain yoghurt. Tip the contents into a sieve, over a bowl (to catch the whey) lined with either an unbleached paper towel, a piece of muslin cloth or washed calico. Put away into the fridge and in the morning you will have living whey in the bowl and Greek yoghurt in the sieve. Note: the whey has to be living because that is your starter. It contains the correct bacteria for healthy fermentation. You can add leftover whey to your fruit juice or just drink it as is. It is lovely.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:30am
You can use this same method to turn other vegetables into lacto-fermented vegetables. Because the vegetables will last all winter in their jars and basically retain all the natural texture and goodness of the original raw product, this is also an excellent way of preserving leftover vegetables from the garden, or when they are going cheap in shops because there is a glut.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:34am
Pickled Beetroot
Grate 4-5 large beetroot into a deep bowl and add - 5 tspns unprocessed rock or sea salt, zest and juice of one lemon, 4 Tbspns whey and (your choice) 1 measure of chilli (as you like it). Mix vigourously in a deep bowl to extract the natural juices with a wooden spoon or pounder. Store in a sterilised jar/jars. Ensure all air is removed by compressing contents repeatedly till all bubbles have escaped. Cover tightly and leave at room temperature for 3 days then transfer to cold storage. Will keep for several months and is ready to eat after 3 days but the longer it is stored the better.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:36am
Serve as an aid to digestion of heavy winter meals and as an additive to pre-dinner enzyme fixing salads. I have been eating my first jar of this and had forgotten that it is not cooked or made with sugar and it is far better than any of the cooked pickles and chutneys I had made over summer. I will be making all my pickles this way in the future.

buzzy110, Oct 10, 2:39am
Here is link to fermented vegetables in jars when you feel you have mastered the easy recipes I have just posted. They take a bit more effort. I used whey, not the starter and I think, in future, that I will add salt for better flavour. http://wholesomegoodness.net/2008/06/10/cultured-veggie-tutorial-with-step-by-step-photos/

uli, Nov 18, 8:57am
Spicy Purple Sauerkraut

* 1 whole purple cabbage
* 1 big beetroot or 2 small beetroot
* 3 or 4 tsp. sea salt, finely ground
* 3 tsp. caraway seeds (if liked)
* 2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
* optional: 1 small chili, chopped finely

Cut up the purple cabbage into quarters. Peel the beetroot and cut into quarters. Peel, crush and finely chop your garlic cloves. Chop your chili finely.

Use a mandolin to slice the cabbage into thin strands. If big bits don’t get sliced you can chop them up with a knife.
After you have sliced the whole cabbage, then do the same to the beetroot. The beetroot will need to be chopped into thin strands with a knife after it’s sliced.

In your crock or other container add a layer of the beetroot and cabbage. Then add some ground Himalayan salt, caraway seeds, finely chopped chilli and garlic.

Continue layering the kraut like this (cabbage -> beetroot-> salt, chili, caraway seeds & garlic) until you get to the top of the pot.

With your fists or a pestle, pound the mix until it starts to release some liquid and form a brine. You need the brine to be above the cabbage mix. If it doesn’t you can add some salt add xtra brinewater to rise above the cabbage.

Place a plate on top of the kraut to help cover the kraut and act as weight to help pull the water out of the kraut or you can fill a zip-lock bag with salt water and close the bag. You can help secure it with a peg or elastic bag. Place this onto of the kraut.

Put your kraut in a place that will not be disturbed. Cover it with a tea towel. After 24 hours check the kraut to see if there is adequate brine covering the kraut. Leave this to ferment for about a week (or more). Make sure the brine covers it. If not just add some more salt water. You can ferment this for as long or as little as you like based on the flavour and acidity. You can store this in a glass jar after the week is up.

uli, Nov 18, 9:00am
Moist ‘n Spicy Kraut Cake

2 ½ cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tspsalt
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 cups finely chopped sauerkraut
1 cup raisins
¾ cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 180°C.
Grease a 33cm x 23cm pan.

Combine first 6 dry ingredients. Mix well.

Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until light. Gradually add oil, beating until smoothly blended. Add dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in sauerkraut, raisins and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake in preheated oven, 50 to 60 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely.

Fill and frost as desired.

uli, Nov 18, 9:04am
Chocolate Cake

2 ¼ cups flour
½ cup cocoa
2 tspsbaking powder
½ tsp salt
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cupssugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup water
¾ cup finely chopped sauerkraut

Preheat oven to 180°C.
Grease and flour two 20cm round pans.

Combine first 5 dry ingredients. Mix well.
In a separate bowl cream together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.

Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with water, combining lightly after each. Stir in sauerkraut.

Spread batter evenly in prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.

Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.

Fill with butter cream or whipped cream and decorate with fresh fruit.

elliehen, Nov 23, 1:36am
Bumped for vmax2 :)

uli, Nov 29, 1:16am
Taste the kraut. Generally it starts to be tangy after a few days, and the taste gets stronger as time passes. In the cool temperatures of a cellar in winter, kraut can keep improving for months and months. In the summer or in a heated room, its life cycle is more rapid. Eventually it becomes soft and the flavour turns less pleasant. So make sure if you do sauerkraut in summer to stop fermentation by refrigerating or bottling or freezing it before it gets too soft.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:11pm
Well it is that time of the year again. I have grown the most successful garden ever this year and I now have excess cauliflower, broccoli and broccoflower. So I am going to lacto ferment the cauliflower. I don't know if broccoli can be done this way yet but I will find out after Christmas.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:12pm
Here is the recipe I am going to use:

VINEGAR-FREE, LACTO-FERMENTED DILLED CAULIFLOWER PICKLES (gluten free, vegan, raw)

yield 1 quart

3 c cauliflower, cut into chunks
1 large garlic clove, crushed
1 T dry dill
3-4 peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 T sea salt
2-3 c filtered water
1. Scald a jar or wash with very hot, soapy water.
2. Wash cauliflower very well, and cut into chunks.
3. Crush garlic clove, and add to jar with spices.Add cauliflower, pressing down firmly into jar so chunks are tightly packed, leaving 1" space at the top of the jar.
4. Dissolve salt in 2 c of water, and add to jar.Add additional water as necessary to cover vegetables.Leave 1" space at the top of the jar.
5. Let sit 3-5 days at room temperature, in a cool place away from the sun, on a place or saucer to catch leaks.I let mine sit for 4 days in a room temp of about 68*, in warmer temps 3 days is usually enough.Try them and see if they have a good pickly flavor.If you want a stronger flavor, leave them out longer, up to 7 days depending on the temperature.Just a warning: when you open the jar, it is likely to fizz and bubble over, so open over the sink.
6. After it sits, transfer to fridge.I think cultured veggies improve with age, properly cultured vegetables will keep for up to 8 months.If your vegetables start to get slimy, change color, or just seem funky, toss them out.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:14pm
I do apologise in advance for anyone who objects to recipes being pasted directly from the net (apparently that is not done you know) but it is the best recipe for just doing cauliflower by itself that I could find.

If you pop in at any time uli, perhaps, if you have lacto-fermented broccoli, you could let me know. Save me wasting good food on experimentation.

uli, Dec 24, 4:19am
buzzy the cauli should be very good, broccoli is a bit hit and miss -because it really depends on the ripeness and consistency of the broccoli.

While cauli is about the same consistency in stem and flower bud - broccoli can be very soft in the flowers and much harder in the stem. So I would recommend to try and harvest the broccoli pretty early on so the flowers are more solid rather than later, otherwise you will get very soft mushy tops and wonderful crunchy stems.

Personally I eat the broccoli as it becomes available, rather than trying to preserve it - often instead of rice or pasta, just as a base to put my (pasta)meat sauce over or instead of rice to eat with my curry.

Once you have finetumed the recipe would you mind putting it into the "wild fermentation" thread so we have it available to use?