Sauerkraut

Page 4 / 11
buzzy110, Aug 21, 2:00am
I booked Nourishing Traditions from the library yesterday and am looking forward to having it for a whole month, during which time I will read carefully and decide if I need to buy my own.

racheee, Aug 21, 4:56am
Nourishing Traditions is probably the best book I have ever bought.Haven't even read it all yet!

racheee, Aug 21, 4:58am
It is not impossible to get raw milk unless you live on a farm Buzzy.You can buy up to 5 litres off a farmer, no worries.An organic farm preferably..

uli, Aug 21, 6:42am
rachee really? I always thought this is highly illegal in NZ?

buzzy110, Aug 21, 10:06pm
Oh. Sadly, there are not too many dairy farmers, organic or otherwise, working in Auckland. I'd love to be able to get my milk fresh from the farmer. I'm pretty sure uli is right though about it being illegal to sell unpastuerised milk so keep it quiet, I wouldn't want your supplier to get into trouble. Lucky lucky you. You could make real butter as well.

racheee, Aug 22, 11:02pm
It is certainly not highly illegal at all.You would think we were talking about firearms or drugs rather than milk! Here from the NZFSA: Additionally, section 11A of the Food Act 1991, allows for the farm gate sale of up to five litres, at any one time, of raw milk intended for consumption by the buyer or their family. It should however be noted that such milk would need to be harvested under an approved Risk Management Programme which is appropriate for milk for direct human consumption.

racheee, Aug 22, 11:04pm
You may want to read this regarding the benefits of raw milk: http://www.realmilk.co.nz/

skippie1, Aug 22, 11:38pm
Hi, have been reading this thread and I am very in making my own sauerkraut etc. those lemons look very yummy, earlier this week a work collegue of mine were discussing using a Tagine, so I will try and get the book Nourishing Tradition from library to do some more reading. We Also can buy fresh milk from Hohepa in HB, who grow all produce according to Rudolf Steiner method, I will use this milk to make cheese, and by the sound it it can use they whey for other preserving.

racheee, Aug 23, 12:19am
I have made my whey now, and the cream cheese is still straining. Looking forward to tasting it and to making my fermented veges etc!

uli, Aug 23, 1:27am
rachee - we all know about the benefits of raw un-homogenised milk here I guess. However I think the quote you gave means a farmer can do this if he has a fully functioning cow shed and just uses the milk that would have otherwise gone to Fonterra out of his vat. If I however milk a couple of cows by hand on the paddock (much cleaner than in a shed) then I am not allowed to sell that for human consumption.I guess that is the difference.

buzzy110, Aug 23, 4:14am
Well I'm jolly well going to go knocking on farmer's doors when I am out travelling. I remember the milk we used to get from the farm we stayed on every summer. Oh the cream that you could stand your spoon up in. My mother used to send us gathering blackberries and she'd make heavenly pies and the cream just topped it off. Only needed wee slices to feel satisfied.Now I'm getting all nostalgic.

buzzy110, Aug 23, 4:16am
Hi skippie. Do you make your own sauerkraut or are you going to get into making it? I am always keen to hear how other people do it.

buzzy110, Aug 25, 12:54am
Bump. Dragging this thread back to the main stream just in case anyone has anything further they might like to add to it.

buzzy110, Aug 26, 9:52am
Dragging back to the main page again as I have a question to ask about raw milk which somebody with Nourishing Traditions may be able to help me with.

buzzy110, Aug 26, 9:53am
I've been fortunate enough to have been given about 3litres of raw milk today. I was hopping someone could give me some ideas of what I could do with it.

racheee, Aug 29, 11:52pm
Hi Buzzy, Sorry, had not checked the message boards for a while.Drink it would be a start!!Also, making things that you don't heat up would be a good idea.I made my whey and cream cheese with raw milk, very yummy!

uli, Aug 30, 12:33am
rachee - how do you "make" whey? For me it was always just a byproduct of cheese making which I have when I make goats cheese. And then only.

winnie231, Aug 30, 4:32am
uli - I guess rachee means the whey she has collected while draining yoghurt to make cream cheese?? maybe?

racheee, Sep 3, 4:46am
Yes, 'making' whey but using raw milk rather than yoghurt.I made Sauerkraut today!Went to a Sauerkraut and yoghurt making course - very good!Going to make my own tomorrow.Very exciting and oh so easy!You can just chop the cabbage by hand with a knife, don't need a mandolin.

buzzy110, Sep 3, 5:47am
What sort of container did you put your sauerkraut in? You might find that using a mandolin is probably a good idea if you are making a whole lot. I do because I have a 10 litres pot which is rather a lot of work with a knife but if doing jars I'd probably just use a knife if I didn't own a mandolin. You are very lucky to have courses like that in Invercargill. Jolly hard to find any sort of interest here in Auckland. Sigh.

racheee, Sep 3, 8:12am
We just put it in normal jars, so that was good as I have piles of jars!As a pounder she had sawn a wooden rolling pin in half - I thought that was genius!You can put all sorts of things in it too, most veges that you might have, and herbs and coriander or mustard seeds, things like that.

racheee, Sep 8, 3:02am
Made my sauerkraut on Friday with my two year old son, so that was fun.On Saturday though there was salty water all over the bench where it had squeezed out of the jar.Anyone else had this happen?

racheee, Sep 10, 6:56am
No-one interested in sauerkraut anymore? ?

uli, Sep 10, 10:37am
Yes - however I couldn't post for a while, sorry If you stuff the jars too full then the liquid will overflow when the little bubbles lift the cabbage up. I usually leave about 3 cm on top and just use a spoon to stuff it down under the brine a couple of times every day.

seb28, Sep 10, 7:39pm
mmmm when I saw the word sauerkraut I drooled. Reminds me of winter dinners as a kid with gently fried sauerkraut and mash potato with frankfurters,porkchops and gravy! Dad always used make a "well" in his potato and then pour his gravy on top!