Whole peice of Rib-Eye

Page 2 / 2
greerg, Jan 25, 8:37pm
I do rest meat quite a while but not an hour and a half but I rest it in the warmer drawer Fisher which is undoubtedly not what's recommended but I can't stand cold food either, not even cold plates.

fisher, Jan 25, 8:44pm
greerg. yup common sense prevails and about 15 mins or socovered with foil is adequate. The idea of resting is so the meat actually "cools" and to relax .

pickles7, Jan 25, 9:04pm
Don't be silly, The resting is so the meat takes up all the juices, and relaxes. Nothing to do with cooling. I always cook the meat before the vegetables. Always serve with hot gravy, never is cold. lol. I don't cover it with foil as it would keep on cooking, we like our meat medium rare, I just cover it with grease proof paper and a clean tea towel.
Mind you the size of the meat would come into the equation, re cold, the smaller the piece of meat the colder it would get.

davidt4, Jan 25, 9:21pm
The resting time depends on the size of the piece of meat.Grilled steaks or fish - 5 minutes, a large chicken 15 - 20 min, a whole rib-eye 15 - 20 min, leg of lamb 20 - 30 min.Rest on a med-hot plate (not oven-hot) out of drafts.I don't normally cover, but if it is a very cold day and your kitchen is freezing then covering will help to retain the heat.

fisher, Jan 26, 10:43am
YUP . Davidt4 posted times is pretty well on the mark. lots of folks dont know that whole roast chicken should also be rested . a "huge piece of meat" as now suggested would prob be another 10 mins to the suggested times.
"" As a general rule, the larger and thicker the cut of meat, and the higher the cooking temperature, the more residual heat will be in the meat, and the more the internal temperature will rise during resting due to carry-over cooking. This means the meat must be removed from the heat at an internal temperature lower than your desired final internal temperature, allowing the residual heat to finish the cooking.""
"" During the resting period, cover meat loosely with aluminum foil to prevent the surface from cooling off too fast.""

fisher, Jan 26, 10:47am
BTW. The smoking packets dont actually "smoke" the meat as they dont impart enough to do so but impart a subtle"hint of smoke".

uli, Jan 27, 5:13am
Bump for other out-door cooking experts at this time of the year.

seniorbones, Jan 27, 8:48am
Thanks for the suggestions.bbq's off due to weather conditions, cyclone wind rain gail force wind you name it we are gonna get it! meats back in the freezer, postponed for 2 weeks so hope the sun shines on the weekends and not just during the week when we are at work :-0(

beaker59, Jan 27, 9:30am
If BBQing a large roast then consider a Weber Kettle and try charcoal. Sure initially it is a bit intimidating but once you learn the skills it is a spectacular way to cook meat. A roast sholder of pork over charcoal bigger the better is a thing to of beauty and a devine eating experience :)

A rib eye roast over charcoal is awesomeness in a piece of meat.

superdave0_13, Jan 28, 12:21am
Try to cook it from room temperature if you can. I would bring it out of the fridge a couple of hours before i was going to cook it if it was mine. It makes it easier to cook espcially if you like it on the rare side.