Uli

Page 1 / 2
pickles7, Jan 10, 6:47am
I couldn't bring my pineapple to our new home, sobs.Our Daughter is in that house now, I miss talking to my pineapple every day . No flower yet, I did have a good site on growing pineapples, but that computer is asleep. I visited it last week and it looked real good. I will be staying there soon for a wee while, I will decide what to do with it. I will take a pic, and post it.

ant_sonja, Jan 10, 6:50am
Do you need a glass house to grow them in the bay of plenty!

pickles7, Jan 10, 6:54am
I have one of those but it is outside and very happy. I covered it with frost cloth all winter it was very good, no harm done to it at all. It is a red pineapple.

ant_sonja, Jan 10, 7:05am
Thanks, might look into tracking down some plants :-)

pickles7, Jan 10, 7:21am
you would be warmer in Tauranga than we are in Hastings

ant_sonja, Jan 10, 10:13pm
True :-) Will keep my eye out on trade me for any listings - don't seem to be any in the moment.

pickles7, Jan 11, 4:20am
The Nurseries do stock another breed but they are not so hardy. The last lot I came across were $45.00 each, may be more this year.

samanya, Jan 11, 5:00am
gardening >>>>>>> thataway

uli, Jan 11, 5:20am
Make sure it is the "red" one, the tropical ones need a glass house.
And even the red ones do not like frost.

pickles7, Jan 11, 6:03am
uli. the one I have has razor sharp saw like edges, on the leaves. The plants used to be grown in hedges to keep undesirables out.

uli, Jan 11, 7:59am
Yep that's right. The red ones grow to 2m tall leaves, and they are very sharp - like a saw.Typical bromeliad leaves really.
I think they ARE used as hedges overseas :)

pickles7, Jan 12, 8:51pm
uli, if you pop in, I think I bought my red pineapple plant off you? maybe two years ago. It is huge, must be ready to flower. I would like to know if I can do something to encourage it to flower. Any ideas. thanks.

uli, Jan 12, 10:10pm
Not sure if it was me pickles7 - but it will flower on its own by about year 3 or 4.

Or you can "force it" by introducing ethylene - which you can do by putting an apple into a plastic bag and tying it around the top (make sure it is in the shade though - otherwise the bag will cook the plant!) - or you can buy some stuff at the pharmacy - can look up the exact english name for it if you are keen.

I usually just let them be - and I get several pineapples each season - red and yellow.

pickles7, Jan 12, 10:25pm
Thanks Uli. I have only had it for two years , so I will leave it this year, and feed it up for fruiting next year. I hate not being able to buy pineapples with there tops on, I loved growing the tops.I don't buy them very often, they lack flavour now.

pickles7, Jan 12, 8:51pm
uli, if you pop in, I think I bought my red pineapple plant off you! maybe two years ago. It is huge, must be ready to flower. I would like to know if I can do something to encourage it to flower. Any ideas. thanks.

pickles7, Jan 12, 10:25pm
Thanks Uli. I have only had it for two years , so I will leave it this year, and feed it up for fruiting next year. I hate not being able to buy pineapples with there tops on, I loved growing the tops.I don't buy them very often, they lack flavour now.

buzzy110, Jan 12, 10:59pm
Will you be able to take a top when the plants does begin producing fruit!

pickles7, Jan 13, 7:29am
I hope so.buzzy110. I used to grow the tops of the other pineapples.

shop-a-holic, Jan 13, 10:16am
Hey Uli! I just wanted to say congratulations on being given an award for your weight lose - 9.4 kgs is a fabulous result!Your pic is online. You, go girl! I don't know what your goal is, but keep up the terrific work.:-)

knowsley, Jan 13, 7:17pm
Second place - I think the winner did alow fat. diet.

elliehen, Jan 13, 8:53pm
Well done!Almost a beauty pageant line-up ;)

frances1266, Jan 14, 5:37am
Pics please.

buzzy110, Jan 14, 5:44am
Posting pics and giving links is a breach of TM privacy rules. I have already reported the post to TM. I trust that anyone who values the privacy of others is prepared to do the same.

elliehen, Jan 14, 5:49am
Google is everybody's friend.I simply Googled 'weight loss' along with the town on the profile.

I wouldn't dream of posting a link to it, but it is certainly an achievement for the secret squirrel :)

Edited to add:uli has said that there is a link elsewhere on another messageboard.

lyl_guy, Jan 14, 6:00am
Cheers ellie, found it. and well done to Uli. World famous in Whanga!