Whilist in doc waiting room

Page 1 / 2
t.gypsy, Jan 11, 9:07pm
I was reading a magazine..

Australian womans weekly July 2010... They had some recipes in there from alyson holst was wondering if someone had them and was willing to photo copy the pages and send them to me..

lx4000, Jan 11, 9:23pm
what are the recipes called? Someone might be able to post them here for you.

(barloo)

bunny51, Jan 11, 9:24pm
Is that the mag that had the bread recipes? I don't have it any more but do have the bread book.

t.gypsy, Jan 12, 12:46am
yes it did have some bread recipes in it also some soup recipes had a real nice bacon and corn chowder or something like that was hoping someone had the recipe failing that i might go back up and ask if they'd mind copying it lol

rainrain1, Jan 12, 1:43am
You should have ripped the page out while no-one was looking, I do.

pickles7, Jan 12, 1:47am
mmmmmm so you are one of,,,,, those. Isn't it a bugga when someone else beats you to it. lol.

davidt4, Jan 12, 1:48am
What a selfish thing to do.

rainrain1, Jan 12, 1:51am
relax Mr Plod, I've only ever done it once

t.gypsy, Jan 12, 2:39am
i am sorry i never do that in a waiting room.

litedelites, Jan 12, 2:51am
hi, what about getting out from your local libary.I did this when I found an artice on travel and another on food in my doctors room.Got from libary and then photocopied it.Good luck

bunny51, Jan 12, 2:53am
Is this the recipe you were looking for?
A BIG bowl of this thick, creamy meal-in-a-bowl soup, packed with corn, other vegetables and ham, makes a satisfying meal on a cold day.

A real bonus is that you can have it on the table in 20 minutes.

Corn, ham and potato chowder

For 4 large servings:

1 tbsp oil
1/2-1 tsp minced or finely chopped garlic
1 large onion, peeled and halved
1 medium carrot, scrubbed
2 cups hot water
2 medium-large (about 300g) all- purpose or floury potatoes, scrubbed
1 leek or 2 tender celery stalks (optional)
2-3 tsp instant chicken or bacon stock powder
50g butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
2 tsp basil pesto (optional)
440g can cream-style corn
100-200g chunky ham pieces
Chopped parsley and chives

In a large pot over a moderate heat, heat the oil and garlic while you chop the onion into 7mm cubes.

Stir the prepared onion into the oil and keep cooking the mixture while you chop the carrot into 5mm cubes. Add the hot water, then the prepared carrot.

While the mixture simmers, cut the potatoes into 7mm cubes and thinly slice the celery, if using.

Add the vegetables and the stock powder to the pot. Cover and leave the vegetables to finish cooking while you make the sauce.

Melt the butter in a medium-large pot. Stir in the flour and heat until it bubbles, without letting it brown.

Add the milk, half a cup at a time, stirring constantly and bringing to the boil before the next addition. When it boils after the last measure of milk is added, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the pesto, if using, and the corn.

Finely chop the ham chunks. As soon as the potato and carrot are tender, tip the sauce and the ham and parsley into the large pot with the vegetables.

Stir to mix thoroughly, and cook for a few minutes to heat through, but don't boil. Serve in large bowls with warmed crusty bread or rolls.

VARIATIONS: To make corn and bacon chowder, leave out the ham but brown 2-4 chopped bacon rashers in the oil before adding the garlic and onion.

Ad Feedback

bunny51, Jan 12, 2:55am
It was I think an article in the Dominion post a while ago too. The articlesaid it was an Alison and Simon Holst recipe

buzzy110, Jan 12, 3:56am
I think, if the old doc isn't too far away, just go back armed with pen and paper or your lappy and copy down every recipe you want. Trust me, those mags in doctor's offices are never thrown out till they disintegrate and July 2010 is still way to 'new' to be falling to bits.

rainrain1, Jan 12, 4:43am
I shall dob myself in next time I'm passing I promise

griffo4, Jan 12, 5:40am
l once saw recipes l liked at my dentists and they photocopied the recipes for me and l have also copied recipes onto bits of paper in my purse when l find a nice recipe in waiting rooms

elliehen, Jan 12, 6:58am
Next time you want one, summon up a hacking cough (not uncommon in a waiting room) and it will disguise the ripping sound.

Actually, you will have done the surgery a favour and taken away a load of germs ;)

elliehen, Jan 12, 7:07am
The Yin and Yang of doctors' waiting rooms :)

twistdangel, Jan 12, 7:20am
I have that magazine, the recipes I think you are referring to are either Curried Pumpkin & Bacon Soup or Corn, Ham & Potato Chowder (which is typed above). Let me know if you want the other recipe and i'll type it up.

twistdangel, Jan 12, 7:25am
There's also Chunky Beef & Tomato soup

t.gypsy, Jan 12, 8:55am
to the person that posted that recipe thankyou yes that is what i was looking for.. I will sit here tommorow when i am wide awake and ready to write it down.

twistedangel do you think it might be easier for you to photo copy that section and send it to me i will pay for the photocopying and the postage :).

I showed my mother and she was like yeap thats alison holst alright.

twistdangel, Jan 12, 6:36pm
Its okay I can type it out, which one did you want?

t.gypsy, Jan 12, 9:31pm
ok then twist.. The beef and tomato was an interesting one, the corn and also the bread recipes thanks :)

annie.nz, Jan 13, 12:56am
Actually, a lot of doctors rooms will photocopy it for you if you ask nicely.

I usually photograph the pages with my cellphone, upload the photos to the computer and view them - using control- keys to magnify the screen if you are using MS Windows.

elliehen, Jan 13, 1:37am
annie.nz, what exactly do you press to do a temporary magnification?'Control' plus???

annie.nz, Jan 13, 3:06am
yes, just the control key, then the + key.Sorry, was half asleep when I wrote the above post.It's control then - (minus)to reduce the screen size again.