Middle of the road philosphers.. In here

Page 1 / 3
charlieb2, Oct 21, 9:21am
Lets have a little bit of fat and lean! A little bit of vegetarian and vegan.... a little bit of frazzzled mum on the run... and a little bit of enjoying my second life post kids quick meals.. a little lunch box baking and a little low carb treat...... lets have your fav resturant... and your fav 'taki-r-way'.... lets have a bit of LIFE...

And.... just to make things clear.... BOG OFF if you want to preach your philosophy to the masses...

nfh1, Oct 21, 9:25am
LOL charlieb2

Shall I start?

My favourite restaurant in Hawke's Bay is The Mission - does not matter what day you go, lunch or dinner, the food and service are wonderful!

cookessentials, Oct 21, 9:27am
Fave restaurants....Elements in Lyall Bayhttp://elementscafe.co.nz/had this for dinnner there on Saturday night
spiced venison w/ roast beetroot, baby onions, watercress &
sesame croquettes$27
AND......chocolate pot, preserved lemon madeleines & tamarillo ice cream$12
and I savoured every tasty mouthful!

charlieb2, Oct 21, 9:35am
Best sushi stalls (food court style) in Chch are Eastgate (yep sorry its true)

cookessentials, Oct 21, 9:35am
nfh!...have you been to The Old Church restaurant? we went there last year for our wedding anniversary and it was wonderful. It is at Meeanee and it is like a Liberace over the top,opulent place and the food is just beautiful.

nfh1, Oct 21, 9:41am
Menu usually very seasonal and a lot of Hawke's Bay produce.They always seem to have a Fillet of Beef which is always cooked to perfection - my husband loves that.I quite often have Fish of the Day or Pork Fillet if they have it.Usually about 6 or 7 choices for main.

Desert - usually some lovely chocolate desert comes my way and my husband is a sucker for Tiramisu if they have that.

I have never had a bad meal there and the service is absolutely spot on - lovely.

nfh1, Oct 21, 9:43am
The Old Church is an amazing place - totally OTT with the decor, like being in a film set - the toilets are fantastic!

The food is sometimes hit and miss - we have been and had a wonderful meal with poor service and excellent service with average food.It is super to take visiting friends and family to as it is such a lovely place to sit and chat.

charlieb2, Oct 21, 9:45am
sounds yummo... and a place to add if we ever get up your way

One of our family favs is the Dux de luxe.. here in CHCH always excellent service.. good value meals (vegetarian but fish, is that still vegetarian?) We love lunch there at the weekends... funky music.. courtyard dining( a choice of two) and yumo food

nfh1, Oct 21, 9:47am
You have so many restaurants there charlieb2 - whenever we visit Chch it takes us ages to decide where to eat so I will write that down.

charlieb2, Oct 21, 9:54am
Yes.. we have a number... Mr and I loved eating out prior to children and always I knew the 'in' place to try. Now we have no idea!!! lol

Oh and if you mean trying the dux,, try it on a weekend lunch while you are perusing the art centre

beaker59, Oct 21, 11:01am
Don't really have a favourite resturant as such as we like to mix it up a bit but do have some pleasant memories of Sawadee in Ponsonby road and Cassador in Mt Eden.

cookessentials, Oct 21, 6:04pm
If we want nice Indian food, when we go to Aucks to visit family and friends, we like Sahi Caf'e in Milford.
The Countryman here in Masterton is another favourite...Ditmar and Martina are fantastic and used to be at one of the resorts in Samoa, they do a beautiful tiger prawn on taro vermicelli which is my favourite.

toadfish, Oct 21, 6:16pm
I am all for everything in moderation.... including moderation.

Our families favourite local restaurant is Indian Kitchen in Howick.
Hubbies favourite restaurant... which I like, but not as much as him... something to do wth the limitless supply of Brazillian BBQ'd meats...is Wildfire... we go to the Takapuna one as slight cheaper and easier to park than the Viaduct.

winnie231, Oct 21, 6:28pm
Another great place in Chch is Pomeroys ...
http://www.pomeroysonkilmore.co.nz/pub

Amazing range of craft beers, fab food (very garlicy garlic bread - yum) & a great atmosphere :)

nfh1, Oct 21, 8:00pm
We will - thanks very much.

cookessentials, Oct 21, 9:23pm
We very raely have takeaways,however, when we lived in Auckland we did used to have Chinese from "The Flying Horse" in Takapuna. Sweet and Sour wontons and their deluxe fried rice were favourites.

alewis, Oct 21, 9:28pm
gosh I remember the flying horse, wonders if its still there, the japanese next to wildfire in takapuna is an amazing feed, presentation was wonderful and great flavours. its also about going out of our home kitchens and having a jolly good night out.

elliehen, Oct 21, 11:04pm
A perfect recipe for peaceful co-existence!

I was instantly reminded of the children's old Mother Goose rhyme:
Jack Sprat could eat no fat
Hi wife could eat no lean
And so betwixt them both
They licked the platter clean.

cookessentials, Oct 21, 11:26pm
Is that the one near Jerry Claytons? if it is, we had Adam's 21st at the Japanes place and went there again with him when we were up visiting.

alewis, Oct 21, 11:43pm
yes pam right opposite, couldnt believe the quality and presentation we got for the price fairly sure its called kyo-ya japanese restuarant.

cookessentials, Oct 21, 11:47pm
Aah, thank you, the name escaped me and I agree, very "clean" food if you know what I mean and very very tasty.

cookessentials, Oct 21, 11:48pm
Can you still get candy floss on a wooden skewer? It has been many many years since i ever had it, but all I see now is either blue(yick) or pink and is sold in a cellophane bag! I used to be fascinated watching them make it in the candy floss maker.

fisher, Oct 22, 12:08am
"flying horse" ...spent a few 100 maybe 1000 of bucks in that place for friday nights easy diiner when lived on n/shore in auckers..

alewis, Oct 22, 1:40am
we used to go to the pizza place that was on the outside of shore city, it was a family and they had to leave to get the bus home, we used to have the chicken and pineapple pizza they were really slow but used to make a great job of it.

elliehen, Apr 11, 10:17am
Time to give this thread a bumpity bump!