Imported English foodstuffs

Page 1 / 2
daleaway, Aug 5, 2:36am
Now that the Cool Britannia shops have closed, does anyone know where we can buy English groceries and foodstuffs in the Wellington/Kapiti area?
Thank you.

nfh1, Aug 5, 2:39am
As a Brit I am always fascinated what people miss here. I miss Muller Yoghurts, the one with the fruit corner and virtually everything from Marks & Spencers Food Hall! My husband misses Bird's Eye Potato Waffles to go with his Bacon and Eggs!

There was a shop in Taradale but that one has closed as well, it was really expensive and had the oddest things in there!

marymc, Aug 5, 2:41am
Online one if that's any use?

http://www.bramptins.co.nz/shop/

245sam, Aug 5, 2:47am
daleaway, our daughter and her English husband live in Wellington and they have found English products at New World supermarkets, one of which I know for sure is the one opposite/near Te Papa. They have also mentioned another 1 or 2 NW supermarkets too but I'm not sure which ones - I'll ask DD asap and let you know when I find out.
You may also be interested to know that here in Christchurch there IS still a UK shop "Little Britain", 113 Riccarton Road and that shop is usually fairly well-stocked with a variety of groceries and foodstuffs. The owner of that shop advised our DD that he is very happy to accept orders from out of the area and that he is able to freight the goods to her at a much cheaper rate than I could. :-))

Edited to add that I have just found that the "Little Britain" now has a website:-

http://www.littlebritain.co.nz/

frier, Aug 5, 2:48am
Hi there, Ive been here 14 years and I still miss the good old English food, nothing quite like Cumberland sausage, Pak and Save have a good range of English food where I live but aint a patch on Marks and Sparks or good old Tescos, went back to UK just after last Xmas, oh my god, walking into M&S food hall and my mouth was literally watering, spent a god dam fortune but so worth every penny, good luck with sourcing your "real food" perhaps you should google, Sue.

daleaway, Aug 5, 2:53am
Thanks, but I already know the online websites - I was wanting a local shop I could walk into.
I know that what is available is only tinned and packet food, not the lovely cheeses and so forth one could buy fresh overseas, but sometimes they have useful things for which there is no NZ equivalent.

nfh1, Aug 5, 3:03am
I so miss Tesco, Sainsbury and Waitrose - all that choice and proper competition between the supermarkets.

M & S is wonderful, returned here in May with a suitcase full of their clothes. Good old NZ Wool jumpers half the price that they are here - makes no sense!

I do not miss the UK winters.

245sam, Aug 5, 3:11am
daleaway, as I suggested in #4, try New World supermarkets, in particular the one opposite/near Te Papa. :-))

nfh1, Aug 5, 3:13am
NW has stuff here - not very exciting though, Bisto Gravy, Squash, Heinz Beans and a few other things.

ruby19, Aug 5, 3:23am
I so miss the cheddar cheese, I have not tried one here that is even a patch on the UK cheese. I love the Welsh Snowdonia range, wax wrapped. Not Sure if that is the correct brand name, there is also another welsh wax wrapped one with leeks ale, they are so... . good. If only we could import them.

lizab, Aug 5, 3:25am
I too miss all the supermarkets and yes ruby19, you are so right about proper cheddar cheese (actually any cheese from the UK - red leicester too! ! )

petal1955, Aug 5, 4:09am
Pak N Save in Petone have a british stand... . . not much variety there at the moment. but they advise they are getting more stocks in... . . Also there is a new British shop opening in Jackson St Petone... ... . drove past and saw this on Tuesday... with an "opening Soon" sign in the window... ... . it up on the left hand side... ... very near the Jackson/Cuba St traffic lights.

daleaway, Aug 5, 4:26am
Thank you Fleur, that is just the sort of info I was after.

sticky3, Aug 5, 4:29am
There is a great shop in Palmerston North if you feel like taking a few hours drive! Their website is http://www.tastesoftheuk.co.nz

nfh1, Aug 5, 4:32am
There used to be a Scottish Shop in Tawa, not sure if it is still there or what they stock. It was on the High Street.

kay141, Aug 5, 5:57am
Check with Ontrays in Petone. I know they have english cheeses as I bought Stilton a few months ago. Everything there seems to be imported so they might have other products. There is also a shop in the Main Street, Upper Hutt. It's called the Village Grocer or something similar. I haven't been in but the board outside was advertising English lollies.

nfh1, Aug 5, 6:15am
Ontrays is a fantastic shop - my credit card adores it there.

nauru, Aug 5, 6:54am
The lady at this shop does mail order too

nauru, Aug 5, 6:55am
Where in Petone is this shop pls?

kay141, Aug 5, 7:52am
On Trays is 38 Fitzherbert Street. The NZ craft shop is on the corner but I can't remember it's name.

suzannelg, Aug 5, 8:08am
Porirua New World is really good, as is Wakefield St NW.

daleaway, Aug 6, 1:27am
I found it has photos online where you can look round the shop and see what sorts of things it stocks - excellent. Follow the link on here:
http://www.ontrays.co.nz/around-petone/

trader125, Aug 6, 8:26pm
new world do have a big range to buy from , but i do no someone that buys it in & they have been unsure what to get , what willbe movers , english corner shop is who they buy from, so maybe if you talk to the deli manager , suggest afew things they will tell you if or what they can get in? any feedback will be helpful to them

hhb, Aug 6, 8:43pm
NewWorld in Havelock North used to have a UK shelf, not much but worth a look, Walkers crisps, Birdseye custard, have not been there for an age (living in Napier now) but I guess it would be still be there as a big contingent of UK folk live in Havelock. I am just thrilled to see UK Next site online now, available in NZ, (pay in US$) already been sorting out what I want for Miss3 from their fab childrens range, admiteddly, it is not their full range, but still can't beat their quality. I am still wearing an old Next cotton jumper that must be (? )a goo d15 years old! I dread going back as I would spend a MORTGAGE's worth on shopping... clothes, food everything. . I miss the shops so much. . just funkier clothes, better quality etc etc.

cookessentials, Aug 6, 9:43pm
I know the Pack N Save in Masterton has a fairly reasonable amount of British foods from biscuits, sweets, tinned goods, golden syrup, Birds products etc. If you have a Pack N Save in your area, it may be worth checking out.