Helpful hints from the pros...

Page 1 / 4
fisher, Aug 2, 4:26am
. . helpful hints that will save time. .

Fresh Parsley:
. . when you pick your fresh parley, leave it ON the stalks when fine chopping. . just bunch up the ends with your fingers and fine chop desired size. . The stalks hold it together . .
Parsley stalks have a LOT of flavour so use some of it ... .

fisher, Aug 2, 4:29am
Garlic:
When fine chopping garlic... chop the ends off. . then slice sideways twice making quarters. . the outer peeling will peel off easily. .
Slice it sideways 2 or 3 times and then down from the top. . Now end to end to achieve very fine garlic...

fisher, Aug 2, 4:32am
Onions:
Chop both ends off and cut in half through the middle. . peelings will come off "easier" . .
make 2 to 3 slices across the grain and then lay the half flat to dice. . now the trick. . when half way through, turn it around and chop from the other end. . It wont fall apart while chopping. .

fisher, Aug 2, 4:37am
Beetroot:
when boiling whole beetroot, cut the top off leaving 2 inches of the stalk. . leave the pig tail alone. . sort out the beetroot into their sizes from large to small. . start boiling the larger sizes first adding the next
size down and so forth until the smallest. .
They will all cook at the same time. . fill your sink with cold water and simply rub the skin off while holding a beetroot in your hand under the cold water. . wont burn your hands and they dont stain...

ferita, Aug 2, 4:38am
To make garlic paste peel a garlic clove and then put a small pile of salt on the chopping board. put the garlic on top of the salt and use the side of the knife to rub the garlic into the salt. The salt will act as an abrasive and will turn the garlic into a nice fine paste.

fisher, Aug 2, 4:40am
Roux:
There are three types of Roux that are commonly made:
white, blonde or brown Roux. The white is cooked the shortest amount of time while the brown cooks the longest to acquire the darker color and flavor for a brown roux. The longer a Roux cooks, the thinner the sauce becomes as the starch begins to break apart as cooking times increase. White Roux is prepared for making traditional white sauces such as Béchamel or Mornay sauce. The Roux mixture is cooked for 3 minutes or slightly longer, removing it from heat prior to a darkening in color can begin to occur. A blonde Roux cooks for 5 minutes or slightly longer in order to attain an ivory to tan color with a fragrance that is mildly nutty. The longest cooking time is used for making the brown Roux, most often used for the preparation of Cajun and Creole food dishes. The brown Roux requires 8 to 16 minutes (or longer at times) for heating and cooking the mixture, enabling it to become brown in color with a more intense nut-like aroma.

fisher, Aug 2, 4:51am
Saving Summer basil:
I have a large supply of fresh basil and dehydrate and process it or freeze it. . you can freeze it but for those of you that dont have bulk basil, grab yourself a small vase, cut your basil stalks with scissors (evenly) and place in the vase. . now put one of those plastic bags with breather holes over the top and place it on your window sill. . =
fresh basil for weeks right there ready to pick. .
Tear basil rather than cut/chopping it. . bruises badly when chopped. .

indy95, Aug 2, 4:55am
Thank you, fisher, what a great idea for a thread. I hope there are many more to come.

ferita, Aug 2, 5:03am
easiest way to make bechemel is in the microwave.

Mix equal parts flour with melted butter to form a paste then whisk in milk. Cook for 2 minutes, take out and whisk again, cook again for 2 minutes then whisk. Keep doing this until you have a thick sauce.
For an authentic taste put a studded onion in it as it is cooking (half an onion with a clove jabbed in it). Season to taste with salt and white pepper

This way you dont burn your pots and the whole process is easier to control (and clean up).

fisher, Aug 2, 5:06am
Pak Choi and similar:
When using this for a stir fry, cut right down the middle and then cut across to remove the stalk pieces... use these first and only put the leaves in for the last 2 mins. .
these go great in peanut oil, fine chopped garlic (see above), ginger and then oyster sauce. . Makes a nice side dish to a rice meal...

fisher, Aug 2, 5:08am
Ginger:
Yes, fresh is best but sometimes you just cant use it all at once. .
chop off a piece to use straight away and put the rest in the freezer...
Just grate what you need, skin and all and replace to freezer

fisher, Aug 2, 5:09am
Butter Burning:
To stop butter burning when cooking, just add a little olive oil.

fisher, Aug 2, 5:10am
Celery Storage:
Wrap your celery in tinfoil and keep it in the fridge.
Stays crisp for ages

fisher, Aug 2, 5:11am
Lettuce / Silverbeet:
To freshen and crisp up limpish lettuce / silverbeet:
Soak them in a mixture of cold water and sugar. Doesn't take long.
It really does work.

fisher, Aug 2, 5:12am
DIY Vinegar:
Pump Sipper bottle lids fit on the DIY Vinegar bottles, therefore making the squirting / pouring more accurate.

fisher, Aug 2, 5:15am
Well used frying pan now sticking? :
Put a layer of salt in the pan over medium heat for 10 min's or so.
Tip the salt out, wipe pan with dry paper towel or cloth.
The salt draws out any moisture. Also the salt neutralises any flavours the pan has from previous uses... good temp measure... :}

fisher, Aug 2, 5:17am
Save time making grocery lists:
Do you do the same thing every week? ?
Make a grocery list in Word of everything you normally buy.
You can easily add or remove items if needs be for successive weeks. .
Print it out and go through kitchen/bathroom/laundry checking supplies and highlight or tick anything you need for that week. .
Saves the hassle of missing that item you really had to have...

darlingmole, Aug 2, 8:49am
honestly, what would we do without you fisher! I hope your other half appreciates you. You are a veritable treasure chest of valuable info. I for one truely appreciate what you teach and share - really I mean it. xxx

Now, what can I share? Well I was taught to NEVER throw out anything that could be re used. Therefore I always keep my chicken bones and vege scraps for stocks. I keep my egg shells for the garden: it's great for hydranga's, the shells also help keep slugs away from veges, and the boiled water from eggs is great for house plants. Banana skins are great for roses (chop them up first) as are tea leaves and coffee grounds. Epsom salts for the citrus fruit trees and tomatoes in the garden.
My auntie taught me to hold the stalk end of the silverbeet and then "swoosh" the green leave part off to the very end tip (however I still use the white stalk part for stocks ... waste not, want not).
Oh and I NEVER throw out leftovers. They're either frozen or turned into bubble'n'squeek and if they're really not good enough for either? the birds luck in and get a feed at breaky! ! Swings and rounds abouts in my home and garden folks

fisher, Aug 2, 9:14am
see... you have heaps to offer as well... :} now we just need one new idea from each poster and we could write a book:}
I love the silverbeet one. . for many a year I religiously sliced down each side of the stalks lol:} Then as you say learnt "swoosh" and it was all too simple. . but like you, I still steam the stalks before adding the leaves 2ish mins before serving... touch of malt vinegar is good when serving. .

melford, Aug 2, 9:40am
Any wine left over can be frozen in the amount you need to make your favourite casserole.

blt10, Aug 2, 9:49am
Great thread this is.

kob, Aug 2, 6:50pm
Laminate that grocery list fisher make it handbag size get a white marker with a pen slider thingy so it can over the list and your set for ease week in week out

kob, Aug 2, 6:53pm
My tip... ... . always know whats inside your store cupboard in the way of pasta, tinned products and herbs & spices that way when your shopping you dont have to un neccesarilly buy double ups in case you dont have it at home, its saves wastage and saves money as well. YOu can even leave a contents list on the inside door and that way you can co-ordinate you pantry list with your laminate shoppoing guide

kob, Aug 2, 6:55pm
Dont buy breadcrumbs, refreeze your crusts and when you have 6 or more crusts put through the food processor and then freeze in serving size glad bags, They stay free flow so when you need breadcrumbs for crumbing or a topping they are ready and freeflow to use. Saves wastage , saves money & the birds will live without them. They dont need to be toasted but you can if you like but i found then they stick together.

kob, Aug 2, 6:58pm
Lemons & Oragnges & G Fruit going yukky in your fruit bowl before they get beyond repair, grate the rinds freeze in sealed bags and juice the fruits and freeze in icecube trays this way you have fresh citrus all year round, winter time place a cube of lemon and dollop of honey a disprin and hot water in a mug and you have a homemade lemsip... ... . Summer time add the orange and g fruit to punchs and refreshing drinks and not only do they keep it cold but they add an enhancing flavour as well.