Scallops as a main

Page 1 / 2
mindi1, Jul 24, 12:03am
Hi there. Want to treat a scallop lover who hasn't had them for ages. Was thinking of browning garlic, onions and diced bacon in a pan then quickly searing the scallops. Open to advice for alternatives on this. But more particularly, am seeking ideas for what to serve with them given this would be a main, not a starter. Thanks in advance oh wise ones.

cookessentials, Jul 24, 2:58am
x1
For people who adore scallops, the less you fiddle with them, the better. You could do them as a starter and just quickly saut'e in a little butter and freshly crushed garlic - that is how I do the Nelson ones that my husband loves. If you want to do them as a main, i have a couple of recipes at home that may be suitable. Are you doing them tonight?

buzzy110, Jul 24, 3:00am
I've never really done them as a main but your planned recipe looks pretty yum. Why not toss them, bacon and all, into a salad with a vinaigrette dressing(otherwise known as a hot salad). You could serve with crispy potato wedges and lemon or else baked scallop potatoes and lightly steamed cauliflower, carrots and broccoli.

Otherwise you could go totally decadent (this is not for the faint hearted low fat type of people) and heat a 1½ cups of cream till it has thickened, add paprika OR fine herbs of coriander and dill, as a sauce to pour over your scallops. Serve them either on rice, or even better, cauliflower rice. The recipe for cauliflower rice can be found at

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/forum/index. php

Go to Recipes and look under Cauliflower.

For vegetables with the second you could blanch some fresh green beans, put them into a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and add a handful of cherry tomatoes and ripped basil and s&p, mix in, cover and bake 20mins 180C then remove cover and bake another 5-10mins. Steamed carrots and cauliflower will complete the meal.

cookessentials, Jul 24, 3:50am
I would have thought that, by now buzzy110, you would know the trademe rules. I would also imagine that as you have continually complained about the links to the above site being removed by trademe that you would have a little more sense than to continue to promote it. Alwyas quick to complain if anyone else "self promotes' but I guess there must be a different set of rules for you?

buzzy110, Jul 24, 4:04am
Well you just pay your money and complain again to TM. The link has the recipe. You post googled links all the time. And for what it is worth, you will not see buzzy registered on that site.

buzzy110, Jul 24, 4:09am
Oh and one more thing. You self promote a business. This is merely a website where people who are low carb can get recipes and help. Two completely different things I'd say.

darlingmole, Jul 24, 6:56am
*butts in politely* ... actually buzzy I have NEVER seen cooks promote her business. I see her generously offer her amazing recipes and her advice about certain products etc. This is a lovely place to venture ... lets keep it that way x

darlingmole, Jul 24, 6:57am
Getting back to the scallops~!

I use to gently saute some garlic in butter with some fresh green chilithen add then scallops ... add some cream and warm the scallop through this, serve on rice. And now? Well now I'm salivating and wishing I had some scallops!

fisher, Jul 24, 7:01am
darlingmole... well said... :}
Here's a couple I really like...
Parsleyed Scallops
Separate the scallops from the roes, prick the roes to stop them bursting, dry, and place all in a plastic bag with plain flour and little lemon pepper. . Shake to coat all...
Heat together butter and vegetable oil into a large frypan, over high heat, until very hot... Fry scallop pieces until they just start to brown. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and lots fresh chopped parsley... Mix well... Cook for 2 minutes more, squeeze of lemon juice, stir, then serve immediately... .

fisher, Jul 24, 7:02am
Cajun Scallops:
Dry your scallops, prick the roes and place in a plastic bag... Add Masterfoods Cajun Seasoning and a sprinkle of salt and some white pepper. Gentle shake.
Onto a hot plate or hot cast iron pan and drizzle over extra virgin olive oil and toss... As it cooks, add a good squeeze of lemon juice and cook till nicely browned. .
Serve these on top of some turmeric rice that has peas mixed through it... and maybe some honeyed carrots on the side...

ferita, Jul 24, 7:07am
You could make a scallop pasta.

Fry some onions, garlic add white wine and cream mix through some fettacine and reduce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

In a seperate pan fry your scallops and just before you serve the fettacine stir through.

You could also add other seafood, fresh baby peas or even capers. Sprinkle with some fresh chopped fennel.

ferita, Jul 24, 7:14am
Stop pushing your low carb agenda here.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 24, 7:45am
Actually I've found thatoftenrecipes with prawns in you can often substitute scallops quite successfully.

margyr, Jul 24, 7:57am
buzzy that site has some great recipes, am not low carb, but am definitely a food lover and some of those recipes look yum. also from reading this thread I will prick the roe next time I cook scallops, have often cooked them and dreaded the exploding roe. happy cooking everyone.

scrapper2, Jul 24, 8:20am
I came across a recipie for scallops I used last summer that went down well with guests. it has a slight aniseed taste.
Scallops in Pernod Cream Sauce
15-20 largescallops-
1/2 cup Pernod (or less to taste)
1 cupcream
1/4- cup butter(more or less to taste)
just enough flour to lightly coat scallops
1. Shake scallops with flour in a plastic bag or container, remove from bag and shake off excess
2. Saute scallops in butter JUST until cooked-through, probably no more than two minutes
3. Pour Pernod into the pan, flame (carefully, with the lights dimmed)
4. Let alcohol burn off (when flame has gone out), add cream
5. Reduce heat and stir lightly til sauce thickens
very rich but great for a special occasion.
Our personal favouriteI usually put 4 - 5 scallops in a scallop shell with a little white wine, and pop them on the bbq for a few minutes, Divine ! !

cookessentials, Jul 24, 9:13am
LOL, you think what you like buzzy110 - you are always a law unto yourself - I sure as heck would not waste my money on you. You know the Trademe rules. As I say, one rule for you and another for everyone else.

cookessentials, Jul 24, 9:28am
Scallop Salad

1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 shallots
1/4 tsp black peppercorns
500g scallops
1 carrot
2 sticks celery
2 cups water
125g butter
1tsp cornflour
1 tbsp water extra.

Place wine, vinegar, chopped shallots and peppercorns in a small saucepan. simmer, incovered until liquid is reduced by half. Clean the scallops, remove any dark veins. Scrape carrot, slice wafer thin, then cut into fine julienne strips. Cut celery into 5cm sticks, then cut into thin narrow strips. In a clean saucepan, bring water to boil, add carrots and celery and cook 5 seconds, remove from pan immediately, add scallops to pan and cook 30 seconds, remove from pan. Reserve stock in saucepan. Divide vegetables into four individual serving dishes. While stock in saucepan is still hot, gradually beat in softened butter away from the heat, a little at a time. Return saucepan to a low heat, gradually stir in reduced wine mixture and combined cornflour and extra water. Stir until sauce thickens. Add scallops, season with salt and pepper, spoon over vegetables.

This is a very tasty light entree and it dows not interfere with the beautiful flavour of the scallops.

cookessentials, Jul 24, 9:39am
Scallops With Garlic Butter Sauce

500g scallops
seasoned flour
75g butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
lemon wedges to garnish

Remove any brown biits from scallops, but keep the coral ( the orange bit) Dust with the seasoned flour, shaking well to remove any excess. Melt 15g of the butter with the oil in a saute pan. When the foam dies down, saute scallops for 3-4 mins, or until light golden.
Transfer to a heated dish and keep warm. Clarify remaining butter by melting slowly and skimming off foam. Spoon clear butter into a container and discard the milky solids left at the bottom. Return clarified butter to pan and heat until it sizzles without colouring. Remove from heat and stir in garlic. Pour over scallops and serve at once, sprinkled with chopped parsley and garnished with lemon wedges- this will serve four people.

cookessentials, Jul 24, 9:46am
My Favourite - Scallops Newburg

500g scallops
60g butter
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 spring onion
2 tbsp brandy
2 tbsp Madeira or sweet sherry
1 cup cream
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

Remove any brown parts from scallops, keeping coral. Melt butter in a saucepan, add scallops, herbs, brandy and Madeira or sherry, cover and simmer for i min. Blend cream with egg yolks in a double saucepan and thicken over a low heat, stirring constantly. Arrange scallop mixture in a flame proof dish. Pour cream sauce over scallops and sprinkle with a mixture of the breadcrumbs and the cheese. Place under a pre-heated grill until top is golden brown.

buzzy110, Jul 24, 10:16am
What. so I'm not allowed to provide a recipe anymore? You must be a low carb racist.

buzzy110, Jul 24, 10:19am
Of course you will waste money on me. You've been doing it up till now, don't know why you'd stop. It was noticeable that while you were away any posted link was left where it was put.

mindi1, Jul 24, 11:09am
Whoa. sorry, didn't mean to start a fight. Thanks for all the scallops recipes.

cookessentials, Jul 24, 9:53pm
think what you like buzzy110, you would swear black was white, so who would be bothered arguing with the likes of you? and for your info, I still logged on while away as I took the laptop with me-so get a life will you.

cookessentials, Jul 24, 9:54pm
You are most welcome mindii

ferita, Jul 24, 11:46pm
No,
Just sick of you low carbers coming into all the threads spreading your pseudo science. Stick to your own low carb threads with your low carb rubbish