Scallops as a main

Page 2 / 2
ogden, Jul 25, 12:12am
Even wrapping them in streaky bacon is beautiful, Chuck em under the grill Yummy... . Thats what I will be doing for our dinner tonight

fisher, Jul 25, 3:09am
Ogden if you like them like that and dont mind the time frame of doing them then try this one... one of my favourites. .
Bacon Wrap Scallops in Bourbon. . (Scallops en Brochette)Large scallops required ~ Thin bacon
Ingredients:
1/2 cup red onion, chopped. . 2 tbsp honey. . 2 tbsp bourbon. . 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. . 6 slices bacon. . 24 scallops. .
Method:...
Mix all well together onion, honey, bourbon and cayenne pepper. Add scallops and mix gently to coat. . Marinate in refrigerator 2 - 4 hours.
Thread one end of bacon on a skewer. Place a scallop on top. Fold bacon onto skewer over scallop... Place another scallop and fold bacon again... Continue until bacon is used up... You will use about 6 scallops, depending on size. .
Place on lightly oiled baking pan or foil.
Put under grill, placed at lowest position. Grill 6- 8 minutes or until bacon is crisp, turning for each side. Or you may grill on BBQ.

cookessentials, Jul 25, 6:49am
fisher, i have a really tasty soup recipe that you may like- it is a cream of snapper - let me know if you would like me to post it here for you.

fisher, Jul 25, 7:14am
Sounds magic cooky. . be most appreciated thanks. .
I even have a wee forest of fresh green dill if need be :}}

cookessentials, Jul 25, 7:33am
Ok, here you go-chives and parsley if you have them.

Cream Of Snapper Soup

60g butter
500g snapper fillets
1 leek
1 carrot
1 potato
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 1/2 cups water
salt & pepper
1/2 cup cream
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 tbsp chopped parsley.

Remove skin and bones from fillets. Melt butter in pan, add washed, sliced leek, chopped carrot and peeled and sliced potato and crushed garlic. Cook, covered, 5 mins. Cut fish into 2. 5cm cubes. Add half the fish to the saucepan, cook a further one min. Add wine and water, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 mins. Puree soup with blender, a portion at a time. Return to saucepan and add remaining fish, cream, salt & pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat & simmmer, uncovered 5 mins. Stir in chives and parsley.

P. S-looking at going to raro for six nights-off to Melbourne on 4th, so will get it sorted when we get back. Thought 4 nights was just not enough as you waste one just getting there!

fisher, Jul 25, 7:49am
Thanks for that. . have copied it down for when I get some snapper. .
seem to have bluenose gemfish and hapuka but no snapper... Just did a home service and tidy on the boat so will have to get out and get some snaps...
Hope you go Air NZ. . Pacific Blue is the pits. . arriving early morning there and back. . Not a lot to do, minimal shopping and tours and 6 nights will be PLENTY:} Think NZ in 1955. . lol...

bedazzledjewels, Jul 25, 7:55am
Are you off to Rarotonga soon Cookessentials? Hope you have a wonderful relaxing time. I must get back there soon too. So many places to go, so little time, so little funds!

cookessentials, Jul 25, 10:43am
I think it will be PB, I just cannot justify all the extra money, but in saying that, the travel agent did say there are often some good deals with Air NZ, so will see what happens. As far as nothing to do, suits us just fine- laying on a beach, snoozing, reading, swimming and of course, Captain Tamas cruise LOL

cookessentials, Jul 25, 10:43am
Hi BJ, not till January (hopefully) as a surprise for my boy - he will know when we get to the airport LOL.

fisher, Jul 25, 12:09pm
If funds permit, take him for a fly over/around the Island through
Air Rarotonga. . (book well before) because with PB, you arrive and depart in darkness. .
http://www.airraro.com/clientpages/raro/scenic_flight.html
He will snorkel on the Tama Cruise out at the reef and see the huge clams. . (you will get fish here for the BBQ) but also swim off the shore from "Fruits of Rarotonga". .
Do the 4 x 4 tour for a bit of culture, mountain viewing and fun and a nice bbq lunch afterwards. . when you book ask for the chicken. . and you can still have some fish as well. . otherwise you will ONLY get fish... lol:}
http://www.rarosafaritours.co. ck/

cookessentials, Jul 25, 7:07pm
Thanks fisher. I have been looking at mix and match flights too-up there with ANZ and back with Pacific Blue-at least, that way, we will get a view on the way in. Hoping in the next few weeks they have some great "specials" LOL

buzzy110, Jul 26, 12:19am
What ignorance. I never spread anything of the sort in this thread. I merely gave options. I posted ideas that involved potatoes and rice and posted ideas involving cream and cauliflower rice.

kirinesha, Jul 26, 3:29am
Scallops with Moroccan Spices on Cauli-Cabbage Rice

Serves 2.

Ingredients
8-12 scallops per person (depending on size)
1t ground cumin
1t ground coriander
1/2t ground cinnamon
1T olive oil
2-3T butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup vegetable or chicken stock
1/4 caulifower, cut into flowerettes
1/4 cabbage, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
Salt and pepper

Method

Put the cauliflower and cabbage in a food processer and pulse until reduced to rice sized grains.
Mix the cumin, coriander and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add 2t of the spice mix and sauté 30 seconds.
Stir in the cauli-cabbage rice until coated with oil and spices. Cook down for a couple of minutes.
Add the stock and simmer on low, stirring frequently.
In the meantime dry the scallops and season with salt and pepper then mix through the remaining spice mix.
Heat a small pan (medium-high) and add 1T of butter and a small dash of olive oil to raise the burning point.
Place the scallops in a single layer and cook, turning, until just browned and opaque in the centre - this will only take 3-4 minutes (depending on size of scallops).
The cauli-cabbage rice should be moist but not swimming in stock by now. Add a tablespoon of butter and most of the chopped coriander and stir well. Remove from pan and plate up.
If needed add a little more butter to the scallops so there is a small amount of buttery sauce around them.
Serve scallops and sauce over the cauli-cabbage rice.
Sprinkle with remaining coriander.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 26, 4:55am
Now there's a name that's good to see. Welcome back Kirinesha - and a wonderful recipe to celebrate. Always a voice of reason on this forum.

margyr, Jul 27, 4:15am
husband just reading the local paper, drain a can of lychees, stuff a scallop insideand wrap with streaky bacon, secure with a toothpick, cook in melted butter in frypan. probably not a main but do sound yum.

fisher, Dec 3, 5:16pm
Yeah I could imagine myself doing that... a tsp of olive oil in with the butter , a pinch or two of periperi and white pepper. . and baste them till bacon is nice and crispy. .
writes lychees on shopping list... Reckon you could stuff a peeled king prawn in there as well... hmmmm have 1/2 a kilo left in freezer...