Help please

Page 1 / 2
steamylee, Jul 14, 6:32am
hey guys, im a stay at home mum and as such i cook tea for myself and the other half every night. i am not great at cooking, well what i know how to cook i cook well but im not very good at thinking of new things to try, our standard meals are meat and three veg. mashed tatos, meat and frozen mixed veg lol. i only recently clicked that instead of using frozen veg i could just cut up fresh ones. so im hoping that you guys might be able to suggest some good easy recepies for me to try out. my partner hates rice and pasta, so needs potato/kumara. he also doesny like egg (but if he doesnt know its there then it doesnt matter lol). and he eats ALOT. so recipes would be enough to feed at least four if that makes sense? thanks guys :)

cookessentials, Jul 14, 6:34am
So, what are the things that you make at the moment?

steamylee, Jul 14, 6:40am
ok i can do a roast but usually its...
meat ie: lamb chops, steaks, chicken thighs (marinated if they come in the pack that way, i would love to be able to marinate them myself though), pork chops. all of the above cooked in the oven.
and with it, mashed or boiled potatos, and steamed carrots and or pumpkin, or frozen peas and corn.
oh and sometimes shepherds pie, which is basically mince with canned flavouring with veges through it and the potatos on top lol.
and that, is pretty much my whole cooking repitoir lol.

steamylee, Jul 14, 6:41am
i can do rice and pasta, but as my other half doesnt like, therefore wont eat, them there is not much point.

pericles, Jul 14, 6:41am
a good hearty vegie & pork/vegie soup wouldbe a winner

margyr, Jul 14, 6:45am
try slicing potatoes and onions, butter a casserole dish and layer potato, onion cheese, do enough potato for 2 people, then put some knobs of marg/butter and a final layer of cheese on the top, pour milk in up to about 2/3rd of the last layer then bake this in the oven 150 for about an hour. I also do layers of pumpkin, kumera, carrot and potato any vege really, let it stand for about 10 mins before dishing sometimes all the liquid is absorbed and other times there is abit of liquid left so i just use a slotted spoon to dish it up.

margyr, Jul 14, 6:48am
when roasting your chops put your vege in with them at the same time and roast them as well. does your partner like cheese sauce? learn how to make a good white sauce which is easy as and with cheese is great on cauliflower, even silverbeet stems done in a cheese sauce is good especially if you do carrots with it.

pericles, Jul 14, 6:48am
marinade - some soya, garlic, honey, and a hint of herb, done.
I don't have frozen, except for peas.
Does TOH eat noodles? they are pretty simple, and you add extra. Spinach steamed with garlic and onion is nice, perhaps you could sneak in a white sauce for over the top
Cabbage lightly fried with butter & the leaves from celery is nice

raewyn64, Jul 14, 6:50am
do you have a crockpot/slow cooker? I do a casserole of stewing steak, tin of tomatoes, diced onion, packet of maggi beef cook int eh pot whatever flavour I find, and potato and put it all in the crockpot in the morning and have a really yummy dinner at the end of the day. The potatoes will be cooked in the pot too and I just throw in some frozen peas at the last minute. If you wanted to you could cook yourself some rice and put your serve on the rice if you want. There is usually left overs for hubby's lunch the next day.

steamylee, Jul 14, 6:50am
sounds good could you please give me a recipe or a link to a thread with a good one in it?

steamylee, Jul 14, 6:51am
ah we dont have a slowcooker yet (have just moved to aus) but i know the one you mean and i did used to make that one at home, but here i cant find any sachets in the supermarkets so im not sure if they have them?

steamylee, Jul 14, 6:52am
margyr ill give those ideas a go thank you they sound good! i never thought of doing the veges with the chops! !

winnie231, Jul 14, 6:53am
Does your partner not like rice or pasta because of texture or taste?
Does he have a bad memory of his Mum cooking them badly?
It would be great to know this because - there may still be a chance to 'swing' his likes/tastebuds in a new direction :)

This aside - have a good browse on the following website ... it was set up by an 'old' member here & full of recipes for good kiwi tucker - and some exotic stuff too.

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/recipes.htm

raewyn64, Jul 14, 6:53am
also fish pie is easy. I buy a tin of smoked fish, make a whit sauce, add the drained smoked fish and some chopped up hard boiled eggs if you want, add mashed potato to the top with some grated cheese to the top and put it under the grill until golden. There are many variations of the fish pie but this is a nice simple version which can be added to.

steamylee, Jul 14, 6:55am
what sort of herb would you recommend for the marinade? no he doesnt eat noodles, which sucks because i really like them, i can cook them but then i would have to do potatos for him as well so i dont bother very often.
with the spinach steamed with garlic and onion do i just put it all in the steamer pot over boiling water? (im sorry if that sounds stupid i just dont want to get it wrong)

pericles, Jul 14, 6:57am
son has changed my browser, and can't copy the thread i was going to give you.
scroll down a couple of threads look, for, vegetable soup

steamylee, Jul 14, 7:00am
winnie, i think he doesnt like them because of the texture, his mum owns a cafe so i think she would cook wonderfully, and i know his dad is an amazing cook (thats who taught me how to cook a roast! ! ) but i would love for him to like pasta and rice so any ideas there would be appreciated thank you.
just had a quick squiz of that website it looks wonderful! ! have bookmarked it thank you :)

margyr, Jul 14, 7:01am
buy some mint sauce as well, this always yummy with lamb and you can use it in your marinade, the soya, garlic and honey can have anything added to it to make it yummy, sweet chilli sauce, tomato sauce, some brown sugar. soya, garlic and honey for chicken, soya, garlic, honey and sweet chilli on pork chops is nice, soya, garlic and honey and mint sauce for lamb.

pericles, Jul 14, 7:02am
herb = mmm i experiment with what ever i have on hand - try a little chopped up corrinder

thought of adding other things to your boiled potatoes?
spinach -quickly put into boiling water, do not leave, wait until you see it wilt. Take out, and basically squash the water out of it. Then fluff it again... . so it looks like a vegie - hehe

winnie231, Jul 14, 7:10am
steamylee - I'll think about the pasta/rice issue ... .

In the mean time - try one our winter favs - mixed mash.

Peel, chop & boil a mixture of potatoes, kumara, pumpkin & garlic together. Drain & mash with a large knob of butter & a splosh of milk. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
A nice change from plain mashed spuds:)

steamylee, Jul 14, 7:34am
awesome thanks for these. i have to go and cook dinner now but will come back tomorrow. thanks guys! !

winnie231, Jul 14, 7:35am
Mini Roasties

Preheat oven to 220C (200C if fan oven)
Use a mix of any or all of the following: potatoes, kumara, pumpkin, carrots, parsnips, onions ... peel if you want but I prefer leaving the skin on & just scrubbing (except for the onions).
Cut into small chunks (2-3cm? ) & place in a large bowl. Pour a little oil (just enough to coat all the pieces) over and toss to coat. Then sprinkle over 1/2 tsp each of salt, garlic granules & oregano (or a seasoning mix from the shop that sounds yum to you). Toss again and spread out in a roasting dish. Bake for 30-40 mins or until cooked & golden. Give a shake/stir 1/2 way through.

I hope this is specific enough for you - I'm sorry, but I've made them for years & don't have a real recipe.

ferita, Jul 14, 7:44am
You could make curries and serve them with flat bread.

Chicken breast wrapped in bacon baked then served on mashed potato with a nice sauce (even melted garlic butter). The bacon keeps it moist.

Diced chicken cooked with white wine, cream and a dash of mustard wrapped in filo pastry like pasties or even in filo baskets.

winnie231, Jul 14, 9:10pm
bumping to the top for steamylee ...

lulu239, Jul 14, 9:21pm
I have just had a quick look at this thread and think the answers are spot on. This is what "Recipes" is all about. I think there are a lot of people out there (me included) who wail "Inspiration please" and yes, you members come to the rescue.