Graham Crackers?

Page 1 / 2
kiwiactrss, Jun 10, 12:21am
Hi, I see these uised all the time in American Recipes. Are these available in New Zealand? and if not what does one use in replacement? Thanks so much

indy95, Jun 10, 12:30am
Digestive biscuits are the the usual substitute, kiwiactrss. They seem to work pretty well.

kiwiactrss, Jun 10, 12:36am
Great thanks everyone - just saw the recipe posted below for Peanut Butter Cups and graham crackers are in the recipe. And thanks for the prompt response I normally don't post in places like this but you guys seem really nice :)

levintofu, Jun 10, 12:38am
you can get them here
at a place called martha's backyard in mt wellington
or here on TA

and no digestives is not even close... graham crackers are a bazillion times better... esp the keeblers ones

cookessentials, Jun 10, 5:07am
Wheatmeal biscuits and as you cannot get Graham crackers here, digestives would be fine.

cookessentials, Jun 10, 5:08am
Many modern "graham crackers" are made of the refined, bleached white flour to which the Rev. Graham was implacably opposed. Some modern commercial graham crackers are no longer considered health food, but have remained popular as a snack food with greater amounts of sugar, honey and other sweeteners than in the original recipe, and far less graham flour, often with no whole-wheat flour whatsoever. Cinnamon or chocolate may be added to enhance the flavor of the crackers. Technically, crackers are not really graham crackers unless they are made with graham flour, which is simply a coarsely-ground hard whole-wheat flour.

cookessentials, Jun 10, 5:11am
http://www.marthasbackyard.co.nz/ apparently sell genuine USA products

alebix, Jun 10, 9:41am
Could you not use digestive biscuits and add spices like cinnamon and ginger etc?

natalie9, Jun 10, 9:58am
Have driven past the Martha's backyard in Mt Wellington and always meant to have a look...

samboy, Jun 9, 7:35am
we lived in Missouri for a while years ago, there was a traditional snack loved by everyone which was:a graham cracker halved, then a half a Hershey bar (use a Moro bar), then a hot freshly toasted marshmallow dropped on top, then the other half of the graham cracker, wait a few minutes for the marshmallow to melt the chocolate then eat, yum.Graham crackers are much like malt meal wafers.The snacks were called "s'mores".

cookessentials, Jun 9, 7:01pm
You can actually make your own...there are a number of recipes available.

shazzie10, Jun 9, 10:00pm
Samboy.... you are SO NAUGHTY... I'm dribbling... marshmallow, chocolate... stop it! Don't be so mean....:)

kiwiactrss, Jun 10, 12:21am
Hi, I see these uised all the time in American Recipes.Are these available in New Zealand? and if not what does one use in replacement?Thanks so much

indy95, Jun 10, 12:30am
Digestive biscuits are the the usual substitute, kiwiactrss. They seem to work pretty well.

kiwiactrss, Jun 10, 12:36am
Great thanks everyone - just saw the recipe posted below for Peanut Butter Cups and graham crackers are in the recipe. And thanks for the prompt response I normally don't post in places like this but you guys seem really nice :)

lookin4adeal, Jun 10, 2:31am
They are awesome!!We called them smores and were a must around the campfire.I just use superwines, carmello and roasted marsshmellows kids big and small love them!!

cookessentials, Jun 10, 5:07am
Wheatmeal biscuits and as you cannot get Graham crackers here, digestives would be fine.

cookessentials, Jun 10, 5:08am
Many modern "graham crackers" are made of the refined, bleached white flour to which the Rev. Graham was implacably opposed. Some modern commercial graham crackers are no longer considered health food, but have remained popular as a snack food with greater amounts of sugar, honey and other sweeteners than in the original recipe, and far less graham flour, often with no whole-wheat flour whatsoever. Cinnamon or chocolate may be added to enhance the flavor of the crackers. Technically, crackers are not really graham crackers unless they are made with graham flour, which is simply a coarsely-ground hard whole-wheat flour.

cookessentials, Jun 10, 5:11am
http://www.marthasbackyard.co.nz/ apparently sell genuine USA products

samboy, Jun 10, 7:35am
we lived in Missouri for a while years ago, there was a traditional snack loved by everyone which was:a graham cracker halved, then a half a Hershey bar (use a Moro bar), then a hot freshly toasted marshmallow dropped on top, then the other half of the graham cracker, wait a few minutes for the marshmallow to melt the chocolate then eat, yum.Graham crackers are much like malt meal wafers.The snacks were called "s'mores".

gemini007, Jun 10, 8:32am
You can also buy some at most health food stores - Huckleberry Farms, Ceres, etc in Auckland

We've been doing pseudo smores with girl guide biscuits and chocolate heat slightly in the microwave and then top with a marshmallow - heat again in the microwave til the marshmallow blows up a bit then top with another girl guide biscuit.Not as good as the campfire ones, but my lot like them either way.

alebix, Jun 10, 9:41am
Could you not use digestive biscuits and add spices like cinnamon and ginger etc?

natalie9, Jun 10, 9:58am
Have driven past the Martha's backyard in Mt Wellington and always meant to have a look...

cookessentials, Jun 10, 7:01pm
You can actually make your own.there are a number of recipes available.

shazzie10, Jun 10, 10:00pm
Samboy. you are SO NAUGHTY. I'm dribbling. marshmallow, chocolate. stop it! Don't be so mean.:)