Capers

Page 2 / 2
autumnwinds, Apr 2, 8:56am
Young nasturtium flower heads, I believe.
(and no need for embarrassment - we all learn something every day, it's what keeps us going. )

ETA: and no, they're not - though I have picked and pickled nasturtium flower buds myself, and they taste the same! And clearly no ill-effects, as nasturtiums are edible - I often use flowers in salads, even as cake decorations.

They are, however, the flower buds of another plant. which produces the luscious caper berries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caper

esther-anne, Apr 2, 10:13am
Aw thank you autumnwinds. The ones I have been saving in the fridge from the recipe I never made probably need disposing of now but I will get a fresh jar (and hopefully one with a wide mouth) and start to use the things. When I feel like it. Life at the moment is so very hard that most of my aspirations in enhancing cooking are taking something of a back seat. The urge will return hopefully - it feels like a loss when suddenly you don't want to be bothered with creating a meal

ruby19, Apr 2, 7:57pm
Re getting capers out of the very small jar, I use a parfit spoon, they are a perfect size!

rainrain1, Apr 2, 8:59pm
Lemon caper butter sauce, over you salmon is delicious

davidt4, Apr 2, 9:57pm
As nobody has answered this I'll do my best Esther-Anne. Capers pickled in vinegar taste mainly of the vinegar, with a herbaceous, slightly bitter taste. Capers cured in salt have a truer caper taste, herbaceous and slightly astringent. They don't sound very appetising I know, but there is nothing quite like them iand I use them a lot. If you want to get an idea of the flavour try some this way:

Boil some waxy potatoes until tender. Meanwhile drain and rinse some capers, about 1 tab per two medium potatoes, and chop roughly. When the potatoes are cooked and drained add the capers with a big lump of good butter and some pepper. Go easy with salt as the capers will be salty. Serve as a side dish with fish or any plainly cooked meat. Lamb chops would be ideal.

awoftam, Apr 3, 1:47am
I have never thought to use capers with potatoes in this way. Thanks so much for this, will def be using this recipe.

uli, Apr 18, 12:34am
I never have any problems, maybe I buy different "jars"?
Mine can accommodate a spoon easily.

However if you buy the cheap stuff from the supermarket, all you have to do is upend the lot into a bigger jam jar or some such, take out what you need and if there is not enough "juice" left top up with vinegar.

So not sure if it really is a "Dam dumb darn jar" or maybe a cook with no imagination on how to solve such a small problem?

samanya, Apr 18, 1:34am
I don't like vinegar with capers, as davidt4 says the vinegar tends to overwhelm the flavour.
"a cook with no imagination on how to solve such a small problem?"
Welcome back uli.

rainrain1, Apr 18, 3:27am
Yep! I always have been a bit of a blond :-)))
The less air gets in, the better food keeps, hence the narrow jar. don't suck in too much air Uli

samanya, Apr 18, 7:05am
Or exhale too much?

rainrain1, Apr 18, 7:52pm
;-)

schnauzer11, Apr 18, 10:40pm
They'll be just as submerged in a container of any size. Simple physics.

rainrain1, Apr 19, 12:35am
You will no doubt be quite right, but it still doesn't answer the question, why some are in the narrow jar in the first place?

whitehead., Apr 19, 3:21am
just keep an eye out when your in the op shops for a long coffee spoon they have a long handle and a small head . they are great for getting into small jars . do we have to slang at each other when were cooking please leave the trolling for the rest of the board , you cook because you like food and the best way to make friends is to feed them

wendalls, Apr 22, 6:50am
Why should you have to decant a product into another vessel to make it more user friendly? Most of the world these days do not preserve or know much about products they buy and their shelf life beyond expiry dates. They might not have other containers. But maybe the tall skinny jar has less risk of bacterial contamination than one with a wider surface area whose constituents are largely poking themselves out of the brine/vinegar/ whatever it is that many haven't made time in their busy lives to think about.

laser51, May 10, 9:15am
shouldn't think this poster would need to use vinegar in anything with the amount of acid they ooze every time they post

rainrain1, May 10, 8:59pm
I think she moo's a bit as well that one

uli, May 14, 4:39am
Thanks for all the nice "welcome back" messages. Keep it up and you might end up with even less posters here.
Down to 40 pages a year now I see. Good luck and keep sharpening your tongues people.

samanya, May 14, 6:10am
Uli, what are you saying, exactly?
An explanation would be great, instead of posts full of insinuations, because that is how your posts are coming across.
What is it about this forum, as it is, that you think is wrong?
We are all here to help where we can . aren't we?
Please give us all the courtesy of an answer.

samanya, May 15, 12:20am
Um, I am speaking for myself & I suspect many others.

kay141, May 15, 2:52am
When such a little thing as a caper cause such nasty posts, I am reminded of one of the reasons I chose to stop posting on here and other boards.

samanya, May 15, 7:11am
Yep & I'm sorry that you made that choice kay141, because you have a lot of sensible thoughts to offer.
I hope you rethink your decision.

awoftam, Sep 22, 11:55pm
Wow. That's really mean. Just focus on capers.