Capers

Page 1 / 2
rainrain1, Mar 31, 4:53am
I have only ever been able to buy them in a narrow jar with a small opening which makes it difficult to get a few out, I sometimes tip them out and put the ones I don't need back in again. Dam dumb darn jar, I wonder why they do that.

samanya, Mar 31, 5:06am
You are not alone there . if you try to get just a few out you lose a lot of the juice!

autumnwinds, Mar 31, 6:14am
but you can just top up with some vinegar (I use cider) !

I buy bigger jars of capers, from Gilmores or specialty stores. I go through a lot, making my own Tartare sauce. bigger jars of gherkins, too, for the same.

priscilla2, Mar 31, 6:29am
I use a fork in the small narrow jars.It just fits.

awoftam, Mar 31, 6:46am
A timely thread. I just made a dish I love that uses a heap of olive oil, capsicums, garlic, white wine vinegar, parsley and. capers which I struggle to get out of the stoopid jar.

I am going to do what ^^^^^^^there said and buy a bigger jar!

awoftam, Mar 31, 6:47am
Anddddddddddd talking of capers, I just love caper berries; great for a pre dinner nibble.

timturtle, Mar 31, 7:32am
Can you post your tartare sauce recipe ? Thanks

timturtle, Mar 31, 7:34am
Can you post your recipe ? sounds nice Thanks

awoftam, Mar 31, 7:52pm
Core and cut 6 large peppers into 8 pieces (different colours looks best) and pat dry.
Heat quarter cup good extra virgin olive oil to medium a pan and add peppers. Fry for 5 minutes stirring often.
Then add 4 cloves garlic finely chopped and fry for another 5 minutes.
Turn heat down, add tablespoon white wine vinegar, tablespoon of capers, salt and grind over black pepper.
Put lid on pan and cook for about 15 mins until the peppers are just tender.
Remove lid, increase heat and fry a couple of minutes more to thicken the juices. The peppers will take on a burnished look.
Cool, stir through tablespoon of parsley and serve at room temp.

This is glorious on fresh crusty bread.

rainrain1, Mar 31, 7:54pm
I usually try to get them out with the handle of a teaspoon. I've never seen them in a wider jar, I must look harder next time I'm at shop.
Also I think you can buy a little spoon for getting them out

daarhn, Apr 1, 2:24am
um why not just tip into another jar or a plastic container, one of those smaller seistma numbers? Saves the brine and easier to scoop out.

Those big jars you get from Nosh/ Farros, delis etc are great. Especially if you're like me and love using capers for all sorts sauces.

rainrain1, Apr 1, 2:50am
They probably keep better and more submerged in the original jar, and besides, I want to buy a little skinny britches spoon

daarhn, Apr 1, 5:05am
ha i read that as you want to buy a skinny witches broom

rainrain1, Apr 1, 6:06am
There's room on the broom for you.

wendalls, Apr 1, 6:19am
Maybe a fat knife on the right angle? (Rexavier will probably read this as a fat wife on a wide angle)

daarhn, Apr 1, 6:42am
ha, a fat knight on a wide angel.

rainrain1, Apr 1, 6:43am
ha ha

samanya, Apr 1, 6:50am
I'm no fat angel, but can I come for a ride on your brrrrrom?

rainrain1, Apr 1, 6:55am
and ha ha again

rainrain1, Apr 1, 6:56am
Sure can, but one has to fall off the back at each pickup, I can't guarantee the landing

karlymouse, Apr 1, 11:11am
I too have only seem them in the skinny jars. could be some marketers cunning plan for shipping them economically. who knows. anyway tip them out and replace the brine. easy.

norse_westie, Apr 1, 11:12pm
I've got a big jar from Nosh but to be honest it would be safer if I had a little jar with a narrow opening because I love those suckers so much I eat them like lollies. More difficult access would be a good thing.

autumnwinds, Apr 2, 12:23am
Hahahaha - I make it as I go, as needed. so no real recipe, just a method,,

Just good home made egg mayonnaise (or, occasionally, a good store-bought one, or even the good old Highlander condensed milk one, if I'm in a hurry!), to which I add
chopped capers and gherkins
finely chopped parsley and some chives
and maybe a few extra drops of balsamic vinegar or lime juice or lemon juice.

It's so much nicer than store-bought "tartare" sauce, in appearance, texture and taste.

timturtle, Apr 2, 1:37am
Thanks ill have to try it

esther-anne, Apr 2, 8:24am
confession time. I have a jar of capers in the fridge I got for a recipe I never made.

My ignorant question is - what are capers, really>> What do they taste like - i have no idea.

"Retires embarrassed"