Maxims for Dedicated Cooks

Page 2 / 3
davidt4, Feb 12, 5:10am
I think you are confusing this with “Kissing don't last: cookery do! ”, a famous quote from George Meredith, 19th century. I didn't know he was Amish.

hezwez, Feb 12, 5:27am
There IS an Amish proverb--Cookin' lasts, kissin' don't.
(Before getting married, people have to look beyond lust) so let's not be accusing George of plagiarism. :-))

elliehen, Feb 12, 5:54am
No confusion... and Shakespeare said there is nothing new under the sun. I lived among the Amish and would certainly never mistake English George for an Old Order Amishman ;)

winnie231, Feb 12, 7:06am
We may live without poetry, music and art;
We may live without conscience, and live without heart;
We may live without friends; we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks.

Owen Meredith

missapril, Feb 12, 7:34pm
How long did you live among the Amish for just out of interest?
And was your style of eating different then, from how it is now?
I only ask because of posts that you make about red meat etc, [found this on google]
"Amish main meals are usually built around hearty meat dishes, such as pork chops, ham, roast beef, or meatloaf. Dairy products, especially eggs and cheese, are also important dietary staples. The Amish are known throughout the country for the quality of the cheese they produce and market. Most Amish families keep at least a few chickens so they can eat freshly laid eggs all year round. In the wintertime, hearty soups are eaten regularly. "

cookessentials, Feb 12, 7:52pm
I thought this thread was on quotes rather than arguments about who said what!

cookessentials, Feb 12, 8:01pm
"He who cannot cut the bread evenly, canot get along well with people. " Czechoslovakian proverb.

doug57, Feb 12, 8:37pm
LOL. . that's a new one for me!
. . but maybe that's the answer Pam. . everyone needs an good bread slicer and the problems will vanish ;)

doug57, Feb 12, 8:41pm
"Strange to see how a good dinner and
feasting reconciles everybody"
Samuel Pepys

winnie231, Feb 12, 9:58pm
"The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star" Brillat Savarin

winnie231, Feb 12, 10:01pm
Man is the only animal that eats when he is not hungry, drinks when he is not thirsty, and makes love in all seasons.

elliehen, Feb 12, 10:41pm
"Too many cooks spoil the broth. " ... especially those who seek to hijack a thread ;)

elliehen, Feb 12, 10:48pm
http://www.inspirational-quotes. info/cooking_quotes.html

cookessentials, Feb 13, 12:38am
“Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct
and taste rather than exact measurements. ”
-Marcel Boulestin

cookessentials, Feb 13, 12:40am
“I prefer to regard a dessert as I would imagine the perfect woman: subtle, a little bittersweet, not blowsy and extrovert. Delicately made up, not highly rouged. Holding back, not exposing everything and, of course, with a flavor that lasts. ”
-Graham Kerr

cookessentials, Feb 13, 12:42am
“Leave the gun. Take the cannolis. ”

-Clemenza, in The Godfather

cookessentials, Feb 13, 12:46am
There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry.
Mark Twain

cookessentials, Feb 13, 12:51am
"Always remember:
If your'e alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up" - this beauty is from Julia Child LOL.

pam.delilah, Feb 13, 7:41pm
"When the cookies burn, you make more batter, that's what it takes to make
your life matter. "

bernice1, Feb 13, 7:48pm
“It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. ” Julia Child

bernice1, Feb 13, 7:51pm
“Food has replaced sex in my life, now I can't even get into my own pants”

cookessentials, Feb 13, 9:06pm
“Arrogance and rudeness are training wheels on the bicycle of life, for weak people who cannot keep their balance without them. ”

cookessentials, Feb 13, 9:07pm
Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter which fork you use.

cookessentials, Feb 14, 5:59am
"Some people like to paint pictures, or do gardening, or build a boat in the basement. Other people get a tremendous pleasure out of the kitchen, because cooking is just as creative and imaginative an activity as drawing, or wood carving, or music. "
Julia Child

cookessentials, Feb 14, 6:01am
"No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers. "