BUDGETS.....who needs them....ME

Page 89 / 90
satisfire, Sep 1, 11:42pm
bump love this thread

toadfish, Sep 3, 6:04pm
I think a huge part of budgeting is being prepared.
I brought chicken on special at the Mad butchers last week.3.3 kgs of boneless and skinless chicken breast - you only pay an extra $1 per kilo to get it skinless as well and I think you more than save that in the weight of the skin I would throw away. And 2 trays of drumsticks.

I chopped up the chicken all into cubes and froze in 5 meal size portions in snaplock bags (I get all the air out and make them flat to stack), all ready to put in a stir fry, butter chicken, satay chicken.
The drumsticks I skinned one tray and put them in the crockpot with (Sticky chicken mix) for that nights dinner as we were out all that day, and then at the same time I skinned the other tray and put in a large snaplock bag with the sticky chicken mix.
Now If I know I have a crazy day and no time for crockpot prep in the morning I can just get my bag out the night before and flick a switch in the morning.
Took about an hour to do,,,, but I had the time to do it. and now it will pay me back in 7 easy prep meals.

I brought chicken on special at the Mad butchers last week.3.3 kgs of boneless and skinless chicken breast - you only pay an extra $1 per kilo to get it skinless as well and I think you more than save that in the weight of the skin I would throw away. And 2 trays of drumsticks. For $60

I chopped up the chicken all into cubes and froze in 5 meal size portions in snaplock bags (I get all the air out and make them flat to stack), all ready to put in a stir fry, butter chicken, satay chicken.
The drumsticks I skinned one tray and put them in the crockpot (with Sticky chicken mix) for that nights dinner as we were out all that day, and then at the same time I skinned the other tray and put in a large snaplock bag with the sticky chicken mix and popped in the freezer.
Now If I know I have a crazy day and no time for crockpot prep in the morning I can just get my bag out the night before and flick a switch in the morning.
Took about an hour to do. but I had the time to do it. and now it will pay me back in 7 easy prep meals. Costing around $8.50 for the meat portion - thats the upper end of my budget for 4 adults - but its good quality and easy.

I am off straight after work tonigh to visit a new mum in hospital - So have got a lasagne out of the freezer, so will just need whoever is home first to pop it in the microwave - I have a whirpool with a grill function so you still get a nice crispy top.

I brought chicken on special at the Mad butchers last week.3.3 kgs of boneless and skinless chicken breast - you only pay an extra $1 per kilo to get it skinless as well and I think you more than save that in the weight of the skin I would throw away. And 2 trays of drumsticks. For $60

The drumsticks I skinned one tray and put them in the crockpot (with Sticky chicken mix) for that nights dinner as we were out all that day, and then at the same time I skinned the other tray and put in a large snaplock bag with the sticky chicken mix and popped in the freezer.
Took about an hour to do. but I had the time to do it. and now it will pay me back in 7 easy prep meals. Costing around $8.50 for the meat portion - thats the upper end of my budget for 4 adults - but its good quality and easy.

I am off straight after work tonigh to visit a new mum in hospital - So have got a lasagne out of the freezer, it will just need whoever is home first to pop it in the microwave - I have a whirpool with a grill function so you still get a nice crispy top.

stompy, Sep 15, 5:46am
I felt this thread needed to be bumped up

suzanna, Sep 15, 7:58am
Bumping for Angel.

toadfish, Sep 17, 6:20pm
Got a trade me Bargain.I buy Iams Cat food, its much cheaper to buy it in 10kgs sacks (We have 3 cats)
3 Kgs retails at $50.90 ($16.96 per kg)
10 Kgs retails at $125.90 ($12.59 per kgs - which is why I always buy it that way as its 25% cheaper in bulk)
I brought an unused 10kg sack on Trade me with a March 2013 date for $90 - so that's only $9 per kilo. saving me a further $35 (or 47% from the 3kg price) - got to love that.
Animates have a loyalty scheme but that works out at about 6% - so still a bargain.
In the words of Richard Till its about shopping smarter people.
I have gone back to Pak n Save for my shopping and it really is considerably cheaper, I always shopped at Countdown as it was so convenient, but now I have moved I have to drive past Pak n Save to get to one. On sunday I had to pop a bottle of wine in the trolley to get to $400 (hadn't been for 4 weeks) - I paid for it in 2 parts so got 2 x 10c Petrol coupons - (1 for me 1 for DD) And then on top of that got handed a spot prize of a rice cooker!Filled up with gas on the way home and saved $6.70.
I treat it like a game and really feel I am winning this week.

toadfish, Sep 17, 6:24pm
Now I need to replace my Asics 2170 Running shoe. Anyone know any good places!

frances1266, Sep 17, 10:08pm
Just wash your chickpeas and cover them with plenty of water in the crockpot,
no need to soak. Cook until soft, around 8 hours depending on how fresh the
chickpeas are.Some are quite old and take longer top cook.
Congratulations to your Miss 14 on becoming vegetarian.
I admire such principles at a young age.Dont think you should be telling her that vegetarians eat chicken and fish though as she will find out soon enough that if you eat chicken and fish you are not vegetarian and will be disappointed that you are not telling her the truth.I will bump up the vegetarian thread in Recipes, there are great recipes there.

kob, Sep 19, 6:03pm
hi girls, did ya miss me, I have been trying to sort out my library, the kids gave me an erader for my birthday, and its been abit of a mission trying to get used to it ( well its in the shop now getting fixed) but keeping up with tecknology is amazingly hard sometimes when its the unknown.but I have been reading so much and have found that all the books I wanted to read wern't in NZ so have been getting them in from Amazon and then once read have been onselling them again so otheres can read them, but now that I have progressed i have found there are so many sites out there that have free ebooks on them that it is just as good as going to the library and instant, theres no cues waiting for people to bring back books, theres no waiting list while you work you way down the boopk list, so i guess I have found a new love,And i now have ADD with it, i am on a downloading frenzy do any of you have one!

lilyfield, Sep 19, 8:47pm
I would suggest you soak ALL pulses including chickpeas if you want to save power

akalea, Sep 21, 8:42pm
Any suggestions would be helpful.I have $8.57 per day to feed a male adult.We can not buy in bulk as we do not know how many days they will be staying.Would appreciate some suggestions.Thanks in advance.

dibble35, Sep 22, 5:32am
I can never be bothered going to pak n save. i have a countdown 5 min walk from me and go past it all the time. I do like the reduced to clear items at countdown. I got some family sized mince and cheese pies the other night for $2.25 each, usually $5 something, ate one straight away and other 3 into the freezer. 95% of the meat I buy is reduced to clear. nothing wrong with it, either eat by the next day or freeze. However all the money i'm trying to save by buying food bargains is going on fishing lures and rod at the moment. at $8-$12 for a lure you dont want to be loosing them.

toadfish, Sep 23, 4:50am

toadfish, Sep 23, 6:01am

helen59, Sep 23, 10:16pm
Willow4 I took your advice and went to www.simplesavings.co.nz - it is fantastic.
I also reccommend people try to get hold of the book 'How to Live off the Smell of an Oily Rag' by Frank Newman and Dr Muriel Newman. Its an oldie but a goodie. I got mine on TM.

spr0uts, Sep 27, 8:13am
I get my vegetables and fruit from www.foodbox.co.nz/ . It is an online order that comes with free delivery and I think it is very good value for money. Also buying from an vegebox company like this is better for the environment and supports NZ farmers so I think that is good too. Just an idea for others who are feeling the pressure of the produce prices in supermarkets at the moment. Hopefully it might be some use.

toadfish, Sep 27, 8:22am
http://www.treatme.co.nz/Deal/Auckland/kaimai-akl-sept11km

I brought this, gets delivered on Friday, will let you know if its good value or not.

winnie15, Oct 6, 8:41am

toadfish, Oct 30, 5:43pm
Can't have this thread disapearing.

I was at the supermarket last night and they had cottage cheese (With Garlic & Chive - shortdated) reduced to clear for 25c a pot!I brought 4 for a whole $1 - Will have one fresh on toast or crackers - put the other 3 in the freezer - and will make the meatloaf and the flan from the cottage cheese thread. and the winner will be made again. Got to love a bargain.The flan will mean we will feed our family of 4 for about $1 lol.Then I can take the savings and splurge out on a Roast.

toadfish, Nov 9, 10:16pm
Just did my monthly shop at Pak n Save, Paid for it in 3 stages.That way I have 3 x 20c off a litre of fuel.Saved $14 today and potentially 2 other members of my family will save the same.I spent $450, the last $150 I was $10 short so scanned my treat bottle of bubbles again, whichbrought it over $150. then I went and got another off the shelf.That was $10.99, so I got the wine and still saved another $3.plus what the other 2 family members save. bonus!
I wont shop now till December and that one will be a doozy as it will be my last big shop till after Christmas. and we have $640 worth of Pak n Save xmas club money to spend. (I direct payment $50 per month). SORTED!

timetable, Nov 11, 3:44am
getting packed and ready for our big move so 'stock up' groceries going into boxs each fortnight so that we take at least 12 with us, that way all we need to buy for around 3 months will be meat, fish, chicken, fruit, veg and dairy. will take a bit to get a garden up and running but should be sorted for winter veg hopefully. christmas baking stacking up in the frezzer, christmas stock in store cupboard and christmas club looking good. all presents done and dusted on layby and over seas posting nearly finished. cards done so all is right with the world - have a great night all

toadfish, Nov 11, 8:44am
You are an inspiration. are you moving far!I love shopping monthly saves me heaps and when my vege garden and chickens are up and running all I will need it milk and bread. and fruit till the fruit trees start fruiting.(still need to be purchased and planted -lol)

raine8, Nov 12, 3:04am
i have bought a e reader about a month ago and love the free books and have bought a few enjoying it so much my new obsession as well as budgeting, and eating.and. scrapbooking .just love all the hints on this thread.

winnie15, Nov 13, 7:20am
ferg I've been on google looking .try this link http://www.organic-gardening-and-homesteading.com/homemade_cleaners.html