BUDGETS.....who needs them....ME

Page 90 / 90
winnie15, Nov 13, 7:29am

toadfish, Nov 20, 5:47pm
Just revamping and cutting costs. I have always had the use of a work phone 24/7 (Free calls and Txts) and up until now have run a seperate personal.But needs must and I am looking at ways to cut costs.Reduced DH phone plan by $20 as he didn't use all he had, put the Family plan from my account to his so raised it $20 which makes it stay the same.BUT changed my phone from Account to prepay.for a $20 top up a year, i can keep my number and save a whopping $65 a month. $760 a year!We also decided we never watched SKY movies and had 4 magazines unopened, so I called and cancelled the magazine and movies and saved over $240 a year. So thats $1000 and all it took was 10 mins at a vodafone shop and 5 mins on the phone. Bonus!

medicina, Nov 27, 8:31am
Bumpity bump!Loving all the tips and tricks in here and hope more people can benefit from them too.

toadfish, Nov 27, 5:33pm
Pak n Save had 18 Purex Rolls for $6 yesterday, cheapest I have seen the nice toilet paper for a very long time.Time to stock up.My family think I have a loo roll fetish. I just never pay full price for it.
That makes it 33c a roll, the same price as budget.

toadfish, Nov 27, 5:33pm
Pak n Save had 18 Purex Rolls for $6 yesterday, cheapest I have seen the nice toilet paper for a very long time.Time to stock up.My family think I have a loo roll fetish. I just never pay full price for it.
That makes it 33c a roll, the same price as budget.
Another product close to my heart - Lindauer Sav Bubbles - $8.99 at New World this week, time to buy a box for the silly season.
I also noticed in the countdown flyer - Watties Baked Beans and spaghetti - 5 for $5,Its been a while since its been this price.
I am lucky, I do my main shop at Pak n Save but have all the main ones close and I can cherry pick the specials.
When buying my veggies on Sunday - they had 2 milk for $6 - I have heard of people saying about it but up till now none of my local veggie shops seem to be offering it.So I brought 4 and put 2 in the freezer.

Look after the cents and the $$$ will look after themselves. And remember its not a bargain if its extra to what you would normally buy.

lennyb1, Nov 29, 7:27pm
You go toady! I also only run my mobile on prepay.

solo2, Dec 2, 12:39am
Wow toadfish, YOU are an inspiration ! Thanks so much for keeping us posted on what you save and where.I must admit that after hubby got his pay rise last year, I have hardly paid attention to our budget, but after reading this I am inspired once again to get with the program ! I have $500 on my PnS Xmas club and all presents were bought and paid via the internet , and all were on sale. I have been lazy when it comes to my saving though, this is first year we have been able to treat ourselves , but next year is a new year, and after reading this I am ready to start our budget again, thanks to you !

willow4, Dec 21, 12:57am
$21 a week grocery challenge cookbook This is available for download on the site www.simplesavings.co.nz if anyone would like a copy or I am happy to email it to anybody who would like it.
Have a Happy Christmas all. Wendy

medicina, Dec 22, 2:23am
Bumpity bump.Because there seems to be a lot of talk about how people should be careful with money so they don't end up in the foodbank queue.This thread may hold the key for some who otherwise wouldn't know that you can have a decent meal for under $5 and can decrease the costs of daily life with the right'know-how'.

toadfish, Dec 28, 5:26pm
Something for nothing. A $5 Voucher from Amcal or unichem.
http://60.234.152.29/pharmacy-brands/dm/join Or an E Cloth Sample http://www.e-cloth.co.nz/E-Cloth/Home.html

toadfish, Dec 28, 5:43pm

toadfish, Jan 14, 8:18am

toadfish, Mar 15, 6:56pm
Don't be shy. never say no.

My daughter is a part time bar maid while she is at Uni - where she works had a function and it was catered for by generous sponsors - At the end of the day they were going to throw stuff away if people didn't take it.

She came home with Apples, 3 Pineapples, 1/2 box bananas, several Bags of pre made salad - And bags and bags of fresh rolls.
We ate Bananas for the first few days. then I made 2 x Banana loafs and mashed and froze the rest in 1 cup portions, Next the pineapple - I skinned and segmented it and put it into tupperware - (The reason I did that, is people in this house seem to like a quick grab - If I hadn't have cut it up it may not have been eaten before it went off) and we are onto number 3 today. and then we will be on to the apples. We are working in the order of quickest to go off lol.And we will have beautiful rolls for months in the freezer - Big enough for burgers.SCORE

Apparently other people were too "Shy" to take up the offer of taking it home - My Miss 20 has been brought up to say "Thanks that would be great"

Its been a very cheap week at the fruit and vege shop.

owl32, Mar 15, 11:41pm
Dishwasher powder, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup salt and 1/4 cup citric acid. Mix together.White vinegar for rinse aid.

Laundry powder, 1 cup powdered oxygen bleach, 2 cups grated laundry soap or,lux flakes, 1cup borax, 1cup washing soda, 1 cup baking soda. 2 tablespoons per wash.

Shampoo and conditioner, mix 2 teapots baking soda with enough water to,make a runnyish paste, wash through hair. Rinse with apple cider vinegar, smell goes away .

Body odour in clothing armpits, spray with white vinegar and leave for 10 mins minimum.

Also I buy the washing soda from tm members, it's a higher grade, is,a powder and easier to,deal with. I would think more effective.

kaddiew, Mar 19, 9:00am
2 teapots!Assume that's 2 teaspoons!:)

owl32, Mar 20, 12:05am
Lol, yep. Silly autocorrect

toadfish, Mar 27, 6:05pm
Clear out the fridge stirfry.

Had this a couple of nights ago and the family raved about it.Fried some onions, added a lonely Carrot (julienned) Some sliced beans from the garden (not enough for a meal on there own) some leftover cauli, a yellow courgette from the garden and a handful of frozen stirfry left in a bag from the freezer,stirfryed all these.Took a bowl, added a good squirt of soya, a glug of sweet chilli, a teaspoon of chicken stock, a couple of tsps of cornflour and some water.Add to to the vegies and cooked a bit more (Had to add a little more water as may have added too much cornflour) But the result was delicious and the fridge was rid of all its bits and pieces ready for a veggie shop.Served it with brown rice and marinated pork steak.

ruby19, Mar 27, 6:22pm
I will definitely vouch for trying to grow your own veggies, we are now living off lots of fresh brocc, cauli, spinach beetroot, capsicums, fennel. Thankfully all of which my family loves. Also the fejoas are just beginning to fall.
Also creating different ways to incorperate these into different meals is great.
We are already looking at replanting the patch for our winter veggies, hopefully they will be as successful.