Is what the American's call kale the same as our

Page 2 / 2
cloudberry, Jan 4, 9:20pm
Uli which variety of kale do you prefer! I am growing cavolo nero and curly kale at the moment. I think I like curly kale better though I love the way cavolo nero looks in the garden - very good looking plants. I just wish I liked the taste better.

uli, Jan 4, 10:49pm
Cloudberry - I have grown almost any variety I can lay my hands on - remember I used to have a nursery with "Unusual Edibles" before my accident.

So up here in the North it doesn't really matter what I grow, because none of them ever get frost LOL - so I am sometimes just harvesting the leaves and throwing them into the freezer for a day or two. Makes them taste so very much better.

You shouldn't have any problems down where you live, as after a good frost the leaves taste excellent.

Just remember to cook them "properly" which means with a bit of a "taste giving" extra. I usually fry onions (most of my recipes actually start with "fry onions" - except the Xmas cake) and a bit of homegrown (non-watery!) bacon, then add the roughly chopped kale. In Northern Europe they add a bit of rolled oats towards the end of cooking to bind the vege together.

And of course you eat lots of healthy meats with it:

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/237101096472618/Gruenkohl-wie-ihn-Mutter-kochte.html http://www.essen-und-trinken.de/rezept/144966/gruenkohl-mit-pinkel.html

But there are all sorts of recipes now - even in Germany LOL . things which are better left uncooked like kale lasagne .

cookessentials, Jan 8, 4:08am
A cup of kale juice in fact has seven grams of protein. it is a myth that you need meat and eggs to get adequate protein. Even a lemon has protein n it. Not that I asked anyway.

vmax2, Jan 8, 4:25am
It's much easier eating meat and eggs and you don't have to add up how much you're eating and worry about that, and then maybe having to get a B12 injection.

uli, Jan 8, 8:37am
If you would take the time and check how many of the essential amino acids those lovely plants have . then you would find out that yes - they have lots of PLANT protein - but however we mammals cannot use it . which I keep saying on these boards since almost 10 years - however nobody seems to have the brain to check it out . sorry state of affairs - so grow some brains and then read how many of your essential amino acids are actually there in those plants . of course because you have just grown a brain you would know that the lowest amino acid is the "leveller" . but yeah that maybe too much info already .

cookessentials, Jan 8, 9:10am
Ahh , nothing changes.rude and obnoxiousas ever so subject closed for me now.

cookiebarrel, Dec 31, 4:16am
brocolli!Saw a quick something on an programme where the chef cooked it on a baking tray in the oven, maybe with a little grated cheese on top and in the quick look I got, it looked like brocolli so I was just wondering if it is the same and if you could cook brocolli that way!Just something different maybe!

uli, Dec 31, 4:18am
No - kale is not broccoli - google some pics to see what I mean.

uli, Dec 31, 4:19am

gardie, Dec 31, 5:40am
Tastes quite cabbagy and can be eaten raw.Not my cup of tea though but many love it.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 31, 6:34am
Kale is my favourite vege.

beastie3, Dec 31, 8:22am
Kale baked in the oven.yummy and so good for you!.http://www.refine-
ry29.com/kale-chips. what I would like to know. is it easy to grow!

lilyfield, Dec 31, 9:51am
kale after it had the frost on it, cooked with boling bacon in the potused to be our traditional christmas dinner in North Germany.