Is what the American's call kale the same as our

Page 1 / 2
dibble35, Jan 1, 11:21am
Yes very eay to grow, I'm in northland and it ended up with whitefly by the end of summer, maybe further south where its not as humid it would be more pest free!

uli, Jan 1, 8:03pm
I still have two plants going strong from last year here in Northland.

dbab, Jan 1, 9:15pm
Is it the same as borecole!
My parents grew heaps of this in their garden and it was a staple vegetable during the winter. Mum used to cook it on top of the potatoes and then mash it all together.

hindsfeet, Jan 1, 9:34pm
yes dbab I just googled it and borecole is the same as kale

jbsouthland, Jan 1, 9:53pm
Had it all the time as a child in Utrecht . Here it is grown for animals I believe more than humans , very ornamental and edible.

tarawera99, Jan 2, 12:09am
Yes its easy to grow. I've got some seeds here from plants that bolted. If it were allowed I'd just send you some.

cookiebarrel, Jan 2, 2:41am
Thanks guys and yes I did finally get to Google it and it is then obvious that it's not the same.Think it was the quick catch of the 'frilly' leaves going into the oven that made me think they might be the same/similar.
Now I wonder if you could cook brocolli in the oven.Usually steam it so a different way to do it would give some sort of variety.

davidt4, Jan 2, 2:44am
Broccoli can be roasted in the same way as cauliflower.It doesn't need quite so long - maybe 40 minutes at 160C.

uli, Jan 2, 2:44am
Why would it not be allowed to send broccoli seed or kale seed! Not an unwanted organism.

cookiebarrel, Jan 2, 2:48am
Thanks davidt4 will definatly give that a go.Also the cauliflower as I have never had it roasted either.Do you put anything on it to roast it! and how long for cauliflower!

davidt4, Jan 2, 2:53am
Cut the cauli into florets.For half a cauli add 2 tab good quality olive oil or melted butter, a good sprinkling of salt and pepper, combine well in a roasting tin big enough to hold the cauli in one layer.Roast uncovered for about an hour at 160C.The cauli will brown quite quickly, and will then steadily shrink but not get any browner.Some people like to add cumin or paprika but we prefer it plain.

cookiebarrel, Jan 2, 3:03am
Thanks again davidt4 you are an angel ;-)

mjhdeal, Jan 2, 6:39pm
Kale is lovely raw, just massaged (a lot to soften it) with olive oil, lemon juice, a little salt.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 6:57pm
I juice kale. It has great protein levels. Kalehas a totally different look to broccoli .slightly more cabbage like

uli, Jan 3, 12:27am
The "great protein levels" are:

".As with other vegetables, kale is low in protein. Each cup of chopped kale contains about 2.5 g of protein, which is less than half of the amount an egg provides -- 6 g. If you weigh 180 lbs., your daily protein needs would be 72 g based on the Institute of Medicine's recommendation. In this case, a cup of chopped kale provides less than 4 percent of your daily protein intake."
http://www.livestrong.com/article/510448-kale-and-protein/

Eat a steak or some fish if you need protein but not kale.

uli, Jan 3, 12:28am
However:

".Kale isn't a good source of protein, but it is rich in a number of vitamins and minerals, including potassium, calcium, beta-carotene, vitamin A and vitamin K. Kale is low in calories, as each cup of chopped kale contains just 36. Each cup of chopped kale provides 7 g of carbohydrates, 2.6 g of fiber and 0.5 g of fat."

uli, Jan 3, 12:29am
Also:

".Crucifers (like kale) should always be cooked.

Certain foods are associated with disrupted thyroid hormone production. Foods belonging to the cruciferous family are called “crucifers,” and include broccoli, kale, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, mustard, kohlrabi, and turnips. These foods appear to reduce thyroid function by blocking thyroid peroxidase, and also by disrupting messages that are sent across the membranes of thyroid cells. Cooking these vegetables greatly reduces these negative effects."

http://www.radiancenutrition.com/2011/08/19/put-down-that-kale-smoothie-why-you-should-cook-your-food/

uli, Jan 3, 12:30am
And then there is that of course:

".My thought it that kale has a lot of protein from aphids and the occasional cabbage worm.Some say that bugs are the only protein that vegans get.I'm not sure if they're right or not."

http://www.veggieboards.com/t/137494/how-do-they-figure-that-kale-and-broccoli-are-45-protein-and-spinach-is-49-protein

uli, Jan 3, 12:32am
And in case you are interested in those raw green smoothies:

How Green Smoothies Can Devastate Your Health
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/how-green-smoothies-can-devastate-your-health/

gingercrush, Jan 3, 1:19am
hahahaha that made you feel better didn't it uli.

cloudberry, Jan 3, 1:21am
Kale is full of nutrition and very good for you. Just a shame it tastes so bloody foul. The only way I can eat it is by making kale crisps which are surprisingly tolerable.

uli, Jan 3, 3:51am
The only way I eat kale is cooked with bacon and onionsand topped with cooked baconslices and "real" sausages. You know the ones which are made with meat as opposed to the ones made with "beef flavour", mutton fat, sawdust, soy beans, colourings and flavourings amongst other stuff.

uli, Jan 3, 8:12am
Ummmm - what did me make feel better!

kara101, Jan 4, 11:09am
Note you cant eat a lot of kale if you are on warfarin due to high Vit k content.

uli, Jan 4, 9:00pm
Yep with warfarin you are basically ensuring you will get osteoporosis. I was on it for only 2 years and when I fell my leg just smashed to bits. The doctors were aghast at the state of the bones.

So now I am diligently making VitD3 or take a supplements in winter, eat lots of VitK2 (as in kale and other greens) and my bone density has astounded the doctors who were hellbent to put me onto fossamax (as if I would touch that stuff with a bargepole!).