PAK N SAVE or COUNTDOWN/WOOLSWORTH

Page 3 / 4
gaspodetwd, Nov 24, 6:40pm
Pak n save. But usually my veges are from the fruit and veg shop or the garden. Pak n save is cheapest by far for me. As for junk food! The free range cornfed whole chickens were $9.99 the other week instead of $14.99 at fresh choice. It is a myth that they only sell junk food cheaply.

kay141, Nov 24, 6:51pm
Interesting, your list is about the only things I do buy at supermarkets. Along with dairy products, coffee and wine.

gardie, Nov 24, 7:06pm
I heard the other day that the Countdown website prices are more expensive that the in-store prices.I'm guessing that is specials excluded though!I don't like the meat (more specifically chicken) at CD - prefer New Worlds.

earthangel4, Nov 24, 7:19pm
same here,we only have countdown and new world here,I shop at New World.

toadfish, Nov 24, 7:58pm
Try it, you might surprise yourself. you have always given me the opinion that you're a strong confident women that can do anything once she puts her mind to it:)
And a 10% plus savings is substantial, plus there is the bonus of those out of the blue specials or reduced to clears. I tell myself if its not on the list I am not buying it. and I tell my family that as well.

toadfish, Nov 24, 7:58pm
Try it, you might surprise yourself. you have always given me the opinion that you're a strong confident women that can do anything once she puts her mind to it:)
And a 10% plus savings is substantial, no delivery fees, plus there is the bonus of those out of the blue specials or reduced to clears. I tell myself if its not on the list I am not buying it. and I tell my family that as well.
Work out the savings and convert it into a cash in the hand hour rate and you may be surprised at how much you are earning in that shopping hour.
I hate waste and would prefer to spend my $$$ on a family holiday or night out. The $50 I save can equate to 5 x bottles of my favourite Sav bubbles. yeah free wine.I treat it like a game

uli, Nov 24, 8:23pm
You can't compare apples and pears. You need to shop for the same items in both shops and of course take into account that one might a special on something.

Generally the selection is bigger at Countdowns, and Pak'n'Save is cheaper in what they stock.

uli, Nov 24, 8:26pm
Yes I do too, but can stick to your list and can make economies. Many people are impulse buyers because they need instant gratification and that doesn't work so well with tempting things all over the place in the shops. And of course I hardly ever go to supermarkets, my shopping is done mainly outdoors plus a trip to the freezer.

uli, Nov 24, 8:31pm
No, but maybe a dairy goat. They love the leftovers from the garden, can graze under the fruit trees (once they are big enough, otherwise they will eat the whole tree) and you can make lovely simple cheeses from the surplus :)

sarahb5, Nov 24, 9:15pm
I don't pay for delivery, just for pick up which is $4.25 a week.Basically that's the cost of paying someone else to do my shopping.I loathe supermarket shopping.I get annoyed with the other shoppers when they get in my way or the store when they don't have what's on my list.With online shopping I usually get more than I order and more than I pay for as well - for example, if I order a kilo of apples I will generally get at least 5 apples which weighs a lot more than a kilo.Last year I ordered 50g of pine nuts and they gave me 500g!As a regular you often get freebies too - last week it was a bag of gourmet corn chips and a tin of tropical fruit in juice so they've been added to my Christmas box.Swings and roundabouts really.

We're all different - yes I can be strong and determined when I want to be but not in a supermarket.

Last year when my daughter was home for summer I would prepare the list online, give her the money and she would go and do the shopping in whichever supermarket she chose - we did get the petrol savings then and I allowed her to keep whatever she saved by comparison with what I thought the cost should be but this year she's working and I don't think I'd trust my son to stick to the list any better than me!

toadfish, Nov 25, 5:23am
Itsactually $4.25 plus the $25+ you are not saving at Pak n Save, plus the fuel savings you are not getting.So closer to $35-$40 the way I see it.
Each to there own and if you "Loathe it" lifes too short so don't do it. I go early Sunday morning, shops relatively empty and when I arrive home the family helps me unpack and there is Bacon and fresh rolls for breakfast.
I get a kick out of how much I can save.
Last shop was particulary goodfor me as I paid for my monthly shop in 3 x $150 amounts, so received 3 x 20c off a fill for petrol - I saved $14 and my DD's saved $6 & $7. Add that $27 to the $50plus that I already saved on the shop. and to quote a Lotto phrase "were in the money"
Enough saved for us to have dinner out that night as a family at our favourite Indian restaurant. taking along a bottle of free bubbles lol.Small prices to pay for packing my own groceries.
As I said. luckily. I love the game :)

sarahb5, Nov 25, 5:34am
When my daughter was shopping at Pak n Save with my Countdown online shopping list there was very little difference in price - maybe $5 - $10 at the most.Add to this the frustration of not knowing where anything is in Pak n Save, not sticking to my list and the extra length of time it would take it's just not worth it for me.

sarahb5, Nov 25, 5:43am
Savings are possibly better where you are because there is more competition - I know Pak n Save adjust their prices mainly to beat the rest and I do go there for some things occasionally when there are specials (ie. Meat Week next week and Wine Week last week) but just find it too big, too confusing, too time consuming and illogically laid out.Will see if I can persuade my daughter to try it next week if I don't get another free delivery code from Countdown.

uli, Nov 25, 8:10am
I sometimes make a "supermarket day" when I have an extra hour in town and I venture into the aisles I never ever go into. what surprises there are to find!:)

I don't find Pak'n'Saves "illogical laid out" they are the same as any supermarket: food is on the outside: fruit, veges, nuts and bulk stuff, meat, fish and deli, cool room with dairy and meat, then the checkouts.

The aisles are the fun stuff - I never knew there were so many packet sauces, simmer sauces, mix through sauces and other saucy stuff.

I only ever go there once I have an extra hour in town and the few times a year that happens I am always in awe at all the things I don't need and other people must obviously buy (or they wouldn't be on the shelves).

Great eye opener :)

sarahb5, Nov 25, 8:27am
You clearly haven't been into our local store then because it's nothing whatsoever like that .I'm surprised you do go in at all though, ever - what a waste of your precious time and everything has a bar code, even the nuts!

kay141, Nov 25, 6:25pm
In the supermarkets, I go to, I really only shop in the middle aisles. That's where they have things like coffee, toilet paper, soap powder, butter, milk and cheese. I do browse the outer aisles but seldom buy anything unless it is a really good "knockdown" special on meat. Because I have to carry my shopping and therefor, shop frequently, I have no loyalty to any supermarket and just use the handiest on the day. As long as I can get the brands I want, anywhere will do.

toadfish, Nov 25, 6:45pm
I guess you just get used to your own supermarket.I follow the same snaking trail, know whats coming up and skip whats not relevant and know where to find things.
In saying that. I have been going on and off to the same Pak n Save for about 15 years (since it opened), so it would be a sad state of affairs if i didn't know the layout.lol

uli, Nov 26, 5:32am
We will be treated to a new one soon here - so I am not sure if I am able to cope with the new layout . they have demolished the old building on the site they want to build on - and are now going to start building soon - so by next year I might have to resort to living from my garden entirely :)

kay141, Nov 26, 6:28am
Haven't they changed in that time! All our supermarkets, regardless of brand, seem to do it every so often. I think it is so you can't just go to the usual places but must trawl the aisles. Then hopefully for them, you will put more in your trolley. I'm one of those you see standing there reading the signs at the end of the aisles. I don't go along if I don't want anything there.

toadfish, Nov 26, 7:53am
My local Countdown changes everynow and again, At Pak n Save apart from the Shampoos moving next to the beauty products from the aisle next door. not really.

uli, Nov 26, 9:20am
My Pak'n'Save hasn't changed anything in the last 20 years since he went from "Mark'n'Pak"-
to "Pak'n'Save"-
:)

Edited to say - but this is not going to last as they now are going to build an even bigger one and I might not stand it to go back .

aktow, Nov 26, 3:09pm
there is a countdown 15 houses away from me but we prefer going to pak n save a few miles away because next door is a Asian vegmarket,,. prices of veg in the asian store are so much cheaper than the big supermarkets and the veg isfresher.

toadfish, Nov 27, 7:49am
Pak n Save - popped in today for bread, and they had 18 Purex toilet rolls for $6, 33c a roll. can't beat it, brought 2 packs and am seriously thinking of buying some more. not like its going to go off and at that price, the same price as the budget one and twice as nice.

toadfish, Nov 28, 8:10am
For the Countdown Shoppers and Online shoppers. just recieved this email.

Starting tomorrow, Thursday 29 November 2012, save 10c per litre when you spend $100 or save 25c per litre on fuel when you spend $200 at any Countdown supermarket between Thursday 29 November and Monday 03 December 2012.

For our online shoppers, get $10 off your order when you spend $150 or more online. Simply enter 'TENOFF12' at the online checkout^. Valid for orders placed between Thursday 29 November and Monday 03 December 2012. Limit 1 per customer.

toadfish, Nov 28, 8:12am
And for the Pak n Save shoppers, this just turned up on my facebook.

PAK'nSAVE

Filling up your pantry this week! Now you can fill up your car too! Starting Thursday 29th November, spend $100 at PAK'nSAVE and you'll save 10c per litre on fuel, or save 25c per litre by spending $200!
Offer ends Monday 3rd December, see in-store for T&Cs.