PAK N SAVE or COUNTDOWN/WOOLSWORTH

Page 2 / 4
eagles9999, Sep 27, 8:24am
I find that very hard to believe.

village.green, Sep 27, 8:40am
My dad in UK shops after 6pm most days and seems to get heaps of stuff much cheaper than we can get here, yes it is stuff that is about to expire or can't be sold the next day, but he doesn't worry about that and gets some amazing bargains for stuff that is perfectly ok.
I looked in Countdown yesterday and even meat that was on it's use by date was only a third reduced. Surely if they wanted to shift it they would at least halve it or more! otherwise what happens to it! landfill!
no wonder people skip dive.

lodgelocum, Sep 27, 8:46am
Well, believe it or not, it is true, we often buy our cat a treat of fish, and bought some from Pak n Save and he wouldn't eat it.

tommydog, Sep 27, 10:41am
Just read the magazines think of it as a little rest.I no what you mean Its very really you have to wait at a Pak and Save checkout but always a wait at countdown.

shop-a-holic, Sep 27, 10:55am
I heard that too.From Friday, I'll be down in Blenheim every couple of weeks.I've been preparing myself.Which one sells Segg!I bet it's only PnS.Countdown would never had heard of the stuff; let alone allow it on a Lindsay Fox truck. (giggles)

chatsmom, Sep 27, 9:19pm
I wait longer in a queue at PNS than at Countdown - funny!

tigra, Sep 27, 9:23pm
Sounds like a "oncer" not a regular issue or maybe just the wrong fish. our cat wont eat Tuna for instance but loves Hoki

tigra, Sep 27, 9:27pm
While P&S may have a slightly limited range I reckon we saveat least $15 on a $200 grocery shop compared with Countdown Some prices are25% lower at P&S (bread for instance).Also wine is now cheaper than CD. CD used to be the market leader locally (Hutt Valley) but havent been for a few years.

sarahb5, Sep 28, 6:50am
Could we have Asda or Sainsburys instead!Their clothes are better .

shop-a-holic, Sep 28, 10:33am
Well I went online today to buy items from Countdown in BLENHEIM.
You cant buy meat; dairy; anything from a deli; chilled or frozen.
Not a service at all. Reason being: perishable items cannot be purchased for rural or provincial regions.

What a crock!Got myself a welcome to the metro of Blenheim :-)

sarahb5, Sep 28, 10:50am
It depends on the availability of refrigerated courier service whether you can have perishables delivered, nothing to do with rural or provincial regions.We are in New Plymouth and have always been able to have perishables delivered.

lythande1, Sep 28, 7:21pm
Neither. Both are rip off for meat and veges/fruit. They are the main things I never buy at supermarkets.

eagles9999, Sep 29, 9:34am
Just exactly how are they a "rip-off"!. For fruit and veg I have the option of a market and from what I have seen over many years the market quality is generally second rate. It maybe cheaper but that doesnt mean the super market is a "rip-off" because their quality is usually better

toadfish, Nov 23, 8:25pm
Vegie garden is coming on fantastic (already eating lettuce from it 2-3 times a week), and we have 3 sheep in the paddock.

kiwitel, Nov 23, 8:29pm
I get tired of countdown often running out of advertised specials- it happens time and time again. Love pak and save.
So pleased Rangiora is finally getting one!

nfh1, Nov 23, 8:38pm
and a Tesco - that would shake the supermarkets up here.Oh and a Boots or Superdrug - still after 9 years I cannot believe how much cosmetics are here.

But I want to keep the good weather here!

toadfish, Nov 23, 8:44pm
When we were last in the UK I brought 20. yes 20 tubes of facial cleansing wash for my teenage girls - 99p each

sarahb5, Nov 23, 8:49pm
I buy from Boots online, get it delivered to my mum and then she posts it on to me because she doesn't charge me postage but when I order I usually order a little something for her as well even if it's just a bar of her favourite soap.Gotta keep your mum sweet eh!

cgvl, Nov 23, 10:02pm
used to have Boots in NZ, not sure when they left though.
Pak and save for me isn't any cheaper than either Countdown or New World. They are all opposite one another with the Mad Butcher on the other corner.
Only New World has meat in smaller sizes suited to a 1-2 person family, who wants a kilo of mince, which then has to be rehandled to put into plastic bags of 150 - 200g lots. Same with a lot of other meats. Sure their fruit and vege can be cheaper but our NW buys locally so vege and fruit is fresher. CD's is not very nice and expensive, their meat is also in too big a packs for me.
Ok I my weekly spend is usually under $100 so tend to buy where I prefer, based on what I need at the time, usually NW.

elliehen, Nov 23, 10:05pm
I'd like to have an Aldi :)

tjman, Nov 23, 10:09pm
Consumer did a n article and pak n save was by far the cheapest.

gingercrush, Nov 23, 10:37pm
I think it depends on your area too. Countdown and New World seem to have quite distinct differences in price depending on where in New Zealand you are. In Christchurch I find New World to be cheaper than Countdown. Overall, I find Christchurch New Worlds to be crappier than North Island New Worlds. Though still go to New World more than either Pak n Save or Countdown. Countdown is okay but when they're busy. Jesus christ get me the hell away.

Also I don't find Pak n Save lacks variety at all. But then as long as they have brands I'm familiar with and because I usually get stock standard groceries, it isn't a problem.

sarahb5, Nov 23, 11:30pm
Depends how you shop and whether you can stick to a list - I can't so I shop online

pickles7, Nov 24, 11:01am
Self service, what a joke.hold ups with alcohol, Que's even longer than the checkouts.benches way too small then problems when you remove something too soon. geeez what a fiasco.

lythande1, Nov 24, 6:26pm
You want to know! Make your usual list, then go write down the prices at each. You can cheat and use Countdowns online shop.then see how it comes out at both.
That way you know for your particular items.

And BTW, I bet PakNSave wins.yeah Countdown has Homebrand but overall PnS is cheaper. Which is, BTW, not to say cheap. I do not buy fruit, veges, meat, loo paper, washing powder, tinfoil, baking paper, soap and a number of other t things from supermarkets at all. Either of them.
Cheaper elsewhere.