Savs.

Page 1 / 2
dgriffnz, Sep 4, 2:07am
Love them or hate them.who makes the best! Remember how they were back in the 70s, way better than the bread filled rubbish bulk made ones.

korbo, Sep 4, 2:24am
I agree, they don't taste like they used too.sometimes far too red for me.
but still love em with plum sauce, and some hotdogs at the fish/chips shops still make them out of savs.

shop-a-holic, Sep 4, 4:12am
Premier Meat Company in Carterton still make their Savs as they were in the 70s.Big New World stores stock them.

rainrain1, Sep 4, 4:31am
They are the cooks Monday lunch life saver 'up the farm'

dgriffnz, Sep 4, 8:57am
Anyone in the South Island!

shop-a-holic, Sep 4, 10:11am
I note that you're in Christchurch.The only place that I have ever had the proper sav's are at Elite Meats, Bush Inn Shopping Centre in Upper Riccarton.They are the same as Premier.When I asked where they are from; they advised me they make their own.These were not better than Premier, and not less. Perfect in everyway.

Please let me know how they taste for you.

http://www.elitemeatsbushinn.co.nz/quality-products/

pr_chch2, Sep 4, 10:55pm
I like the smoked ones.usually buy Hellers.

gerry64, Sep 5, 12:03am
They are absolutely awful over here in Oz -

dgriffnz, Sep 5, 12:52am
I agree, the ones from Elite are very good, better than the ones from the major manufacturers IMO.

mwood, Sep 5, 1:55am
Agreed - an annual "treat" for me.

bea2, Sep 5, 2:30am
Hard to find a good sausage too .gave up trying.Do not like hellers at all.
any suggestions for Blenheim !

shop-a-holic, Sep 5, 4:40am
Westmeat at Riverlands is what I like in Blenheim.They stock Luscutto products which are from Wellington.

Drop in and ask for a taste - but be warned, the Frankfurters from Luscutton are a little addictive.

shop-a-holic, Sep 5, 4:58am
Just found 2011 Award list for Savs/Polonies at The NZ Sausage Awards.

Bronze

Goulds Fine Foods, Saveloy
Ashby’s Butchery, Saveloy

Silver

Goulds Fine Foods, Cocktail
Cashmere Cuisine, Smoked Saveloy

Gold

Ellesmere Butchery, Smoked Saveloy
Angus Meats, Plain Saveloy
NZ Farm Co, Cocktail Frankfurter

iman007, Sep 5, 5:35am
im an expert on savs and sausages
savs.elite meats bush inn
sausages.leeston butchery
bacon.leeston butchery
cheerios. elite meats

shop-a-holic, Sep 5, 7:33am
It's clear, some of the best Savs and Sossies come from the South Island, and mainly Christchurch.
For me, I miss Segg.If you didn't know.Segg is not imported into the North Island.

After a few Sauvs and Savs, I often make the comment to my foodie friends that I miss Segg.They in fact, they think I'm saying the 'S' word for intercourse.Their initial faces are a joy to see; until I explain what Segg is, not the other word.No one understands Segg.No one understands my loss.

Then its time for another Sauv and Sav, whilst the conversation goes elsewhere.(drifts).

sam1523, Sep 5, 8:46am
gore meats the very very best

bea2, Sep 6, 8:19am
Thanks"shop-a-holic"Will be off to westmeat tomorrow.

Have not had a good fried sausage with fried onions and mashed potatoes and lovely rich gravy, for years now.Are there Segg suppliers in Blenheim !I shall enquire.many thanks

mbos, Sep 6, 8:56am
You cannot beat a Murchison sav.

jessie981, Sep 6, 8:05pm
ChCh, butcher top end Stanmore Road by Nth Avon Road.
Usedto like Segg lightly fried or on the BBQ.

gingercrush, Sep 6, 9:02pm
Is there a reason the skin on saveloys is so tough and basically impossible to chew now!

maandpa2b, Sep 7, 12:27am
Cashmere Cuisine Butcher in Christchurch.Just near the Colombo St Roundabout.Awesome Savs (actually Awesome everything).I just love going in there, it smells divine (not like a cold, meaty butcher).they also have a fabulous deli.yum

shop-a-holic, Sep 7, 1:19am
The saveloys found in all major supermarkets are a muted red colour with a dull appearance.The skins are made of an edible plastic. If you peel the casing, the sausage on the inside is no difference in looks from a pre-cooked sausage, also found on supermarket shelves.

Most of the saveloys I enjoy, and the ones many posters here are making reference too, generally have a reddish/pink appearance, in casings which are made from proper animal casings.If you peel the casing, the saveloy is pink for a depth within the meat itself.

Gosh! Getting hungry now.*looks at ketchup bottle*

clareo, Sep 7, 1:27am
Never ever ever Countdown's. They are so gristly - I can feel a dry retch coming on !

joybells2, Sep 7, 5:32am
Cant stand Hellers, they are gross, Premier not too bad, but they definitely dont make them like they used to.

rainrain1, Sep 7, 7:55pm
false teeth!