Annabel's bargain book

Page 1 / 2
lodgelocum, Sep 2, 1:17am
The Warehouse today are selling Annabel Langbein "Free Range In The City" for $20 ! Couldn't resist, wasn't going to buy it at the usual price of $50 odd but couldn't let it go for $20.Wonder what delights I will make first.

carriebradshaw, Sep 2, 1:40am
I bought it a couple of weeks ago from the warehouse for $20 as well.I have made the lemon coconut cake so far which is sooo good.

lodgelocum, Sep 2, 1:49am
The lemon coconut cake does look good

weha, Sep 2, 2:28am
Thanks.just brought 2 on line for pressies!

lodgelocum, Sep 2, 2:30am
Good pressies aye

jennyfenny1, Sep 2, 5:21am
does that book have the Strawberry Cloud Cake!

pogram0, Sep 2, 5:36am
She has just released another cookbook titled something like Small Pleasures or similar.Must have a look for it in the bookshops this week.

nana_gee, Sep 2, 6:41am
Just incase you want to make this now jennyfenny1
Annabel Langbein's Strawberry Cloud Cake
Base:
150g plain sweet biscuits (made into fine crumbs)
1/2cup dessicated coconut
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
100g butter, melted
Mix altogether and line a 26-28cm spring form cake tin lined with baking paper.
Refrigerate while preparing base.

Filling:
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 punnet strawberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place egg whites, sugar, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and vanilla in a clean dry
bowl of an electric beater. Beat on high for 6-8 mins until mixture is very thick and
fluffy and the sugar is dissolved. You should not feel any gritty sugar after this time.
If you do beat for longer.
Spoon over chilled base, smooth top, cover with baking paper and freeze for at least
4 hours.Will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month.

sandra25, Sep 2, 9:07am
'Simple Pleasures' to be released on Friday exclusively to Paper Plus. Also has a tv series with it.

southerngurl, Sep 2, 10:15pm
Can't be too exclusive. Fishponds got it too.

mattdylan, Sep 2, 10:26pm
wow that is an excellent price, I have the book but want the other one now!

babytears, Sep 3, 12:18am
Fly buys are currently doing a pre-sale deal on Annabel's SimplePleasures. only 230 points if you order before 8 September I believe, don't quote me on that date though :). You can just pick up from any Paper Plus Store

hunter246, Sep 3, 3:40am
Ooohh, can I please have the Lemon Coconut Cake recipe!

findit1, Sep 3, 5:54am

carlosjackal, Sep 3, 6:10am
Thanks lodgelocum for starting this thread! If it hadn't been for you I wouldn't have bought this book so cheaply! - absolute BARGAIN! Thanks again ;D

jcdm, Sep 3, 11:14pm
Yay I got one too.fantastic recipes .

lodgelocum, Sep 4, 1:23am
Very welcome! Bargain of the day I reckon.

2young1, Sep 4, 2:24am
have made this lots of times. so easy and very impressive looking. only downer was it melts so fast once out from freezer.

griffo4, Sep 4, 5:11am
Recipe for lemon coconut cake l am going to try this
Hope there is no typos apologies if there are

For cake:
3 cups sugar
4 eggs
Juice and zest of 4 lemons
2 cups neutral oil ( I will use rice bran oil)
1 3/4 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
4 cups self rising flour
a pinch of salt

Cream cheese frosting:
75g butter , softened but unmelted
250gm cream cheese (not low fat)
1/2 teaspoon coconut essence
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
4 cups icing sugar

Bake at Fan Bake for 1.5 hours at 160c.tin
Place sugar, eggs, lemon zest and juice, oil and yoghurt in food processor, electric mixer and beat until combined
Add coconut, flour and salt and pulse or mix until only just combined-do not overmix
Pour into cake tin and bake until the cake is springy to the touch and skewer comes out clean about 1 1/2hrs
Cool in tin before turning out and icing

To make icing place butter, cream cheese, coconut essence, desiccated coconut and icing sugar in food processor or mixer and beat until smooth
lf the icing is too runny to spread chill until it reaches spreadable consistency then spread over top and sides of cake

firemansgirl, Sep 4, 5:35am
Lemon Coconut cake - what size tin do you use!

lodgelocum, Sep 4, 6:55am
28-30cm springform cake tin

deus701, Sep 4, 1:04pm
you could probably stir in some melted gelatine into the filling before putting it onto the base.

griffo4, Sep 4, 9:57pm
sorry firemansgirl l deleted that part 28 to 30cm but l read somewhere else that another person had used a 24cm tin and was happy with that
l will use my square tin and see how it goes

griffo4, Sep 6, 9:46pm
l made this yesterday and what a beautiful big cake it is
l still have to ice it and taste it but it looks and smells really nice and the batter tasted really nice
l used a 25cm square tin and it rose to the top 6cm high, can't wait to taste it

kiwiscrapper1, Sep 7, 12:31am
I used a smaller tin thinking it would just be a deeper cake but it was too high and overflowed in the oven, now I still use the tin smaller but make some into cupcakes too.I have had a look for the 30cm tin $60! and I have so many didnt want another it would be the only cake I would use it for.