Kedgeree - how do you make it?

Page 2 / 2
sarahb5, Aug 15, 5:29am
Even curried eggs don't have white sauce do they!The ones I've had with sauce have had a curry sauce (with sultanas!) with hard boiled eggs

cookessentials, Aug 15, 6:51am
Traditional kedgeree is called "Finnan Haddie" it is Scottish in origin.
I do add the cream to the Far Eastern one above and it's lovely

sarahb5, Aug 15, 10:18am
Again, as has been said before, each to their own .

Personally I think the two dishes are probably similar but kedgeree is the Indian or Anglo-Indian name for a dish using Finnan Haddie (Finnan haddock) which I always thought was just the name of the fish used in kedgeree

sarahb5, Aug 15, 11:21pm
No what!The fish traditionally used in kedgeree is called Finnan haddie.Finnan haddie is the method by which the haddock is smoked.Obviously you can eat the fish just as it is and then you would be eating Finnan haddie.Add it to curried rice, hard boiled eggs, etc. and then you'd be eating kedgeree.Never had it made with cream - the liquid used to mix it all together was the milk reserved from poaching the fish.

davidt4, Aug 16, 6:46am
It's an Anglo-Indian dish, but there is a difference of opinion as to whether it went from Scotland to India and back again, or if it originated in British India and went to the UK from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kedgeree

sarahb5, Aug 16, 9:02am
Which is what I said earlier .

recycle_me, Aug 16, 11:27am
I make mine by saute'ing several well chopped onions and garlic cloves in butter (no other fat will do), then adding a good amount of curry powder and letting that gently fry for a few mins, add a few cloves (the spice),Then add cooked rice, 1 or two dried chillis, flaked kippered fish, or I do use tinned fish sometimes, sliced hardboiled eggs, stir all together till the rice is coated in curry mixture. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

jayc14, Aug 22, 8:56am
Had delicious kedgeree today, smoked salmon, curry, rice, coriander, and spices ,grated egg over top and cooked sliced lemon on the sides, just how it should be.