Kedgeree - how do you make it?

Page 1 / 2
mazzy1, Aug 14, 4:37am
I recently found a recipe that called for curry powder in the ingredients and it was delicious. Do you think I can find it now! Nope! *sob*

karlymouse, Aug 14, 4:44am
I think its a sort of horrible connoction of a white sauce and tinned curry powder and boiled eggs and sometimes fish.Try googling the workd Kedgeree and I am sure a lot of recipes will come up.

mazzy1, Aug 14, 4:52am
no - it's YUM!

cookessentials, Aug 14, 4:53am
No, it is lovely, with rice, smoked fish, peanuts, sultanas etc. The BEST recipe is Margaret Fultons ( which I have made many times) I have it at home if you would like it!

karlymouse, Aug 14, 4:55am
Well it takes all sorts of tastes, but top of my hated food list is white sauce with tinned curry powder and boiled eggs concoction- 2nd is the dreaded mixed vegetables piled into everything like bacon and egg pie.yeuchhhh

nfh1, Aug 14, 4:59am
LOL - I have never made Kedgeree like that, no wonder you do not like it!

White sauce in kedgeree!

geldof, Aug 14, 5:02am
karlymouse, kedgeree doesn't have white sauce.

http://tinyurl.com/95v6pq3

mazzy1, Aug 14, 5:03am
Yes please!

cgvl, Aug 14, 5:15am
mine is a white sauce with curry powder added.
1 tin 250-450g smoked fish (salmon or fresh smoked fish can be used instead of tinned).
i onion chopped.
1Tbsp uncooked rice, 2 hard boiled eggs chopped
¼ tsp curry powder more or less to taste
butter, flour, and milk
Cook the rice in boiling salted water.
If using fresh fish, cook in a little milk until it will flake. remove from milk keeping the milk and flake, put to one side.
Heat the butter in a pot and saute the onion until soft, add the flour and curry powder mix and cook for a few mins. Gently whisk in enough milk to make a thin white sauce. Add drained cooked rice, chopped eggs and fish.
At this point add any vegies if you like. I sometimes add peas and parsley and chives.
Pile into a casserole dish and top with breadcrumbs if desired and bake until top is golden
This serves 4-6 people.
The true scottish kedgeree is very dry and is the same as above minus the white sauce.

lythande1, Aug 14, 5:20am
• 2 large free-range or organic eggs
• 680g undyed smoked haddock fillets, pinboned
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• 170g long grain or basmati rice
• sea salt
• 110 pure butterghee
• a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 medium onion or 1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 heaped tablespoons curry powder
• 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
• 2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
• juice of 2 lemons
• 2 good handfuls of fresh coriander, leaves picked and chopped
• 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
• a small pot of natural yoghurt
Boil the eggs for 10 minutes, then hold under cold running water. Put the fish and bay leaves in a shallow pan with enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from pan and leave to cool. Remove the skin from fish, flake into chunks and set aside.

Cook the rice in salted water for about 10 minutes and drain. Refresh in cold water, drain again, and leave in the fridge until needed. Melt the butterghee in a pan over a low heat. Add the ginger, onion and garlic. Soften for about 5 minutes, then add the curry powder and mustard seeds. Cook for a further few minutes, then add the chopped tomatoes and lemon juice.

Quarter the eggs. Add the fish and rice to a pan and gently heat through. Add the eggs, most of the coriander and the chilli and stir gently. Place in a warm serving dish. Mix the rest of the coriander into the yoghurt and serve with the kedgeree.

lythande1, Aug 14, 5:20am
As with everything, there is the proper way, and the cheats yuk Edmonds/Food in a minute way.

karlymouse, Aug 14, 5:21am
So what is that horrible thing called with white sauce, curry powder and boiled eggs and tinned fish !

nfh1, Aug 14, 5:23am
I have no idea, sounds to awful for me to try!

geldof, Aug 14, 5:25am
Um, curried fish pie!
I don't know, sorry.

mazzy1, Aug 14, 5:39am
Well thanks all for your input! Lythande yours sounds amazing, but I don't have fresh fish. cgvl - yours is close to the recipe I found and I will make this tonight with canned smoked fish fillets. We are shifting as soon as we sell our house, so I want to use up as much stuff in the cupboards as possible!

nauru, Aug 14, 5:54am
Definitely no white sauce in the Kedgereethat I know

blands70, Aug 14, 9:13am
I just do rice in the rice cooker then stirfry with smoked fish, spring onion, curry powder, chutney, peas, chopped boiled eggs, slivered almonds and parsley. Or variations of, dependent on what's at hand!

jayc14, Aug 14, 9:29am
Google Nigella or Lois Daish.No kedgeree I have ever made or had has had vegetables in. Smoked fish - or salmon - curry powder, coriander - optional - seasonings, rice and hard boiled eggs.Never heard of nuts and raisens and vegetables, ugh!

cookessentials, Aug 14, 9:31am
Well, white sauce and tinned curry powder aint kedgeree

cookessentials, Aug 14, 9:41am
This is the Margaret Fulton Far Eastern Kedgeree that I make. I used to use freshly caught and smoked ( warm) smoked kahawai.
250g smoked haddock,cooked, skinned, boned and flaked.
s cups warm freshly cooked long grain rice
60 grams of butter, melted
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp oil
60g raw peanuts, skinned.
2 tbsp sultanas
2 hard boiled eggs, 1x chopped and one sliced.
2-3 tbsp cream (optional)
chopped parsley

Fork the fish into the warm rice. Add butter and pepper and keep warm. Heat oil and fry peanuts until they are pale golden. Add sultanas and keep frying for a few seconds until they are plump.Add these to fish and rice together with the chopped egg and cream, if using. Pile on to a heated dish
garnish with slices of sliced egg and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

vtired, Aug 14, 10:36am
Fish pie is made with smoked fish in a creamy white sauce with prawns, other plain fish etc in it, you also add parsley to the sauce and hard boiled eggs, curry powder in my mind ruins a good fish pie. You top it all off with a layer creamy mashed pots and a sprinkle of cheese and bake it in the oven. If made correctly it is yummy.

sarahb5, Aug 15, 2:04am
It's nothing like that - definitely no white sauce when I've made it although it's been a while - one kid won't eat fish, one won't eat rice.I suppose it goes back to the old "traditional/authentic&qu-
ot; argument - what one person thinks is the real deal is not necessarily the same as someone else's.

sarahb5, Aug 15, 2:10am
This recipe is close to what I would make although I wouldn't add cream - I'd use the milk from poaching the fish instead.I think the recipe I have used in the past had peas in it.Originally I think it was an Indian dish adopted by the Colonials and taken back to the UK, or was taken from the UK, reworked in India and brought back again.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/comfort-kedgeree-1287

petal1955, Aug 15, 2:52am
KEDGEREE

400 grms Smoked Fish
Water
100grms butter
1 large onion finely chopped
1-2 tsp Madras curry Powder I use a lot more 2 tbsp
½ tsp turmeric
1 cup basmati rice, washed
450 ml fish stock
Chopped parsley
Lemon juice
4 hard boiled eggs

Place the smoked fish in a pan and add water to cover.Bring to boil then cover and simmer gently for about 7 minutes, drain off the cooking liquid and reserve it.Flake the fish into medium sized chunks, discarding the skin.

Melt half the butter in a pan and sauté the onion until translucent.Stir in curry powder and turmeric and cook a further minute, then add the rice.Stir through, then pour 450ml of the fish cooking liquid.Bring to the boil and lower the heat.Simmer for about 12 minutes, until the rice is just about tender.Fork in the flaked fish and the remaining butter and let it warm through.

Turn out into a heated serving bowl and sprinkle with a little lemon juice and decorate with the eggs and parsley, and serve immediately.
Serves 4

gilligee, Aug 15, 4:48am
Curried eggs!