All Butters Aren't Created Equal

Page 3 / 3
julie_, Aug 25, 5:11am
x1
Ah okay, thanks :)

hestia, Aug 25, 6:15am
Yes, it would be a good idea to boil it first.

kamitchell, Aug 25, 6:41am
We are big raw milk drinkers here and have never pasteurized the milk first.

julie_, Aug 25, 6:44am
Thanks guys, will do a bit of research myself.

esther-anne, Aug 25, 7:16am
Thanks for this thread willyow!I'm in Army Bay and I will be hot-footing it to Orewa's New World next week to get some Lewis Road butter.

I am a huge fan of Lurpak, we used nothing else when I was growing up in the UK - with a lovely butter there's no need for anything else at all on your toast/bread.

However - we have to budget so can anyone tell me how the prices of the two butters compare! At the moment Lurpak is an occasional treat.

davidt4, Aug 25, 8:52am
Lewis Road Creamery Premium butter costs $5.99 for 250g at New World.It's even better tasting than Lurpak, and has the huge advantage of being made from the milk of NZ pastured organically fed cows.

buzzy110, Aug 25, 9:00am
The farms that sell raw milk are more careful about the way they milk and the health of their herds. There is no reason to pasteurise their raw milk. Like vmax said, you may as well go and buy dead, denatured, processed milk, which is what you will end up with if you heat your milk above 45dC.

Way back, we used to get raw milk from the farm and we never boiled that either. I'm still here and perfectly healthy.

esther-anne, Aug 25, 10:19am
Thank you david4-I want to support NZ produce whenever I can - especially if it's better than Lurpak!That assertion must be tested to be believed lol!

willyow, Aug 26, 5:38am
Lewis Rd was 5.99 at New World in Orewa this week - Lurpak was on special at under $5 - they must be feeling the competition. I never liked buying European buttersbecause they are heavily subsidised by the EEC - Kiwi farmers get no help atalland have to compete on price and quality - not quality and subsidies. I grew up with lots dairyfarmer rellies in Te Awamutu - so I feel some loyalty to Kiwi producers.

buzzy110, Aug 26, 5:42am
Me too. I had some Lurpak and it seriously tasted rancid, not cultured. I have trouble understanding why people prefer it. NZ butter, for what it is worth, is made with milk from NZ cows that have been feed on grass and lived a happy life outside. European cows are often barn raised and fed on cereals and hay. And, like you say, their products are heavily subsidised. Give me NZ all the way - jobs for NZers.

village.green, Aug 26, 8:33pm
Just had a go at making my own with store bought cream that was on special. I was too impatient to get my raw milk to settle. Took just over 10 mins of shaking in a jar whilst I was watching TV. I squeezed out the excess buttermilk (which I'll use for baking today) and rinsed. Didn't put salt in. Tastes good but will use up quickly as it isn't perfect, but was fun to do. Probably cheaper though to buy NZ butter when on special, I think $2.99 per 500g this week in NW.

buzzy110, Aug 26, 10:45pm
There is a difference between ordinary butter and cultured butter. Lewis Road Creamery butter is cultured meaning that the cream is cultured first, before being turned into cream.

There are several ways to do this at home. Fresh cream can be cultured by adding in a tiny bit of cultured butter milkand leaving, covered, at room temperature for 24 hours or better yet, bringing fresh cream (raw is good as well) to room temperature or 18dC (whichever comes first) and adding in some commercial butter making culture. The latter is what I do.

I have also read recipes where creme fraiche is whipped into butter but I don't know if NZ produced creme fraiche is actually pure soured cream like its name suggests. It could just be a case of big industry producing a product they give a traditional name to but which is anything but traditional, which is normal practise in NZ and so disappointing.

fifibear, Aug 26, 11:30pm
Willyow.try oatbran. you get it in most health food shops. I mix it 50-50 with rolled oats for porridge in the morning. OH has it mixed with yoghurt ofr dessert. It has a great impact on cholesterol. Seriously surprised my (new) doctor when he checked my cholesterol levels and saw where they were at.he was expecting some very high readings! Hahaha

punkinthefirst, Aug 26, 11:35pm
No you don't. I use any store bought sour milk or cream in baking. Just so long as it is sour, not rotten.

village.green, Aug 26, 11:39pm
I know cultured butter is different to ordinary butter and I'm sure far superior, but I just had the urge to have a go, you know sometimes you just HAVE to try something for yourself. I must say I've just had some on bread and it is very nice even though I didn't get all the buttermilk out.

village.green, Aug 26, 11:41pm
I find my raw milk lasts exactly 6 days. If it is not used in that time, I use in scones, pancakes, and muffins. (I don't like soured milk in my tea and coffee)

buzzy110, Aug 27, 3:18am
Yep. Making butter is very easy. I haven't tried making it with ordinary cream but even cultured cream butter making is exactly the same. Getting all of the milk solids out is tricky and requires washing in fresh cold water.

I'd love to buy a glass butter churn but they are as scarce as hen's teeth in NZ. Sigh.

willyow, Aug 29, 11:04pm
Have now started adaily dose of oatmeal with oatbran and a little vanilla extract - I didn't realise cereals could taste so good, having eaten bran flakes for their fibre for years, but they always tasted like cardboard.