All Butters Aren't Created Equal

Page 1 / 3
willyow, Aug 19, 7:58pm
Made a great discovery at the weekend - tried some of that Lewis Road Butter made right here in NZ and found that it was very similar to that veryyummy Danish Butter - has anyone else tried it!

Ithink it is cultured butter of some sort - certainly has much much better flavour than thetraditional NZ butters.

lythande1, Aug 19, 8:23pm
Butter is made by churning cream. It should contain nothing else. So you're saying the churning process affects taste! Or the cow it came from!

davidt4, Aug 19, 9:51pm
Lewis Road butter is wonderful, even better than Lurpak.It is from cultured organic Jersey cream.

The flavour of butter is affected by many things, including the breed of cow, the pasture (or lack of it), the churning process, temperature, the culturing of the cream, storage.

Lewis Road Creamery also makes a premium range called "Artisan", which I haven't tried yet as at present it is available only in a few restaurants.I understand that they are also working on clotted cream.

shop-a-holic, Aug 19, 10:47pm
Thanks for the heads up.Do you know where I could get it from!

bedazzledjewels, Aug 19, 10:48pm
Ah - good to hear reviews. I've been meaning to get some of this since I saw an advertising sign for it.
Their website -
http://lewisroadcreamery.co.nz

Available here -
New Worlds:
Albany Birkenhead Devonport Eastridge Orewa Remuera
Te Rapa Victoria Park Warkworth Stonefields

Sabato
Moore Wilsons

Farro Fresh:
Lunn Ave Constellation Drive Grey Lynn

davidt4, Aug 19, 11:08pm
Oh Dazz, I thought you'd be at the head of the queue for Lewis Road butter .You must get some immediately!It's totally delicious.

I'm reading this at the moment, which is fascinating, and has a very good chapter on butter.It's in the Auckland library.

http://www.amazon.com/Milk-Surprising-Story-Through-Ages/dp/1400044103/ref=sr_1_2!s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345417816&sr=1-2&keywords=Milk

willyow, Aug 19, 11:10pm
Their Facebook Page says:-

New Worlds:
Albany
Birkenhead
Devonport
Eastridge
Orewa
Remuera
Te Rapa
Victoria Park
Warkworth
Stonefields

Sabato
Moore Wilsons
Farro Fresh:
Lunn Ave
Constellation Drive
Grey Lynn

willyow, Aug 19, 11:12pm
I noticed at New World OrewaDanish butter Lurpakwas busy slashing its prices- must be finding the Kiwi product is challenging their market share. I hope so.

shop-a-holic, Aug 20, 12:56am
Thanks everyone!Its pretty groovy supporting local, when we can.

meegs35, Aug 20, 1:23am
I bought some at the Foodshow and I really wish I hadn't! It's SO delicious I have been eating more butter than I have for years. Nothing comes close to it!

willyow, Aug 20, 1:34am
Anyone know a good naturalcholesterol lowering treatment! My Dr is moaning that mine is a bit high - you can probably guess whyas I started this thread!

vmax2, Aug 20, 1:53am
Great to see a butter thread.Thanks willyow.But don't be afraid of butter or cholesterol readings.Butter is the most natural thing in the world and our body knows what to do with it.It helps to repair damaged cells and will get right to work in lowering your cholesterol.A high cholesterol is often a sign of stress in the body.Keep eating that butter and enjoy!

village.green, Aug 20, 2:20am
Yum yum. Have to go to UK to get my fix. There was a company in Auckland that made it for a while but it obviously wasn't very popular to kiwis and they stopped. Wonderful stuff.
There is another company in south island making their own cultured butter also, I'll see if I can find it. Haven't tried it but an acquaintance recommended to me a couple of years ago.

village.green, Aug 20, 2:24am
Found it!www.karikaas.co.nz
They make cheese, buttermilk and cultured butter (unsalted) $8.75kg in small rolls. They do courier around the country.

village.green, Aug 20, 2:29am
The Lewis Road butter sounds lovely. Jersey cows. I've just come back from Alderney (Channel Islands) and had Alderney butter there, that was amazing, very very yellow, quite a strong flavour, really nice.

datoofairy, Aug 20, 2:30am
It annoys me that so many butters now have added water.I can never remember which brands do and which dont.It annoys me paying for water!

davidt4, Aug 20, 2:55am
Just read the labels.Pure butter is around 81% butterfat, so if the butterfat content is less than about 80% it will have water or other extenders added.

biddy6, Aug 20, 3:18am
Hubby and I both had our highish cholesterol levels drop down to within normal range within 3/4 months when we started eating/drinking our own raw, unpasteurized dairy products and unlimited homekill beef/hogget.I ran a wonderful wee herd of jersey cows for 10 years.We've been on bought butter and milk (Farmhouse - full cream, not homongenized) for the past two years and our cholesterol levels have sneaked up again - still eat plenty of homekill meat.I feel it's the pasteurization and homogenizing of the milk/cream that ups the cholesterol levels.

nfh1, Aug 20, 3:56am
Me too - I will have some for you next month.Nothing like scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream - yummy.

artemis, Aug 20, 4:15am
Check out this article, and perhaps Dr Myhill's related articles. This article begins: 'There is a general belief that a high fat diet results in high cholesterol, which results in arterial and heart disease. The evidence to support this theory is poor - the two largest culprits in arterial disease are sugars and refined carbohydrates.'

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Cholesterol

She is by no means the only med professional / researcher reporting along these lines. Make up your own mind, though.

willyow, Aug 20, 4:37am
Sounds nice - but I don't think we'd get many Jersey cows onto our 700sq metres in Orewa - and the cats would probably object, not to mention the neighbours. I'll have to keep getting mine from New World

vmax2, Aug 20, 4:40am
It is possible to buy raw milk off the farm.

willyow, Aug 20, 4:49am
I grew up in Te Awamutu milking Jersey cows - they have all nowswitched to Friesen

griffo4, Aug 20, 5:03am
Thanks davidt4 l have just ordered the book on your recommendation and l am looking forward to reading it

knowsley, Aug 20, 6:07am
Yes, let's ignore high cholesterol readings. What did you say we shouldbe scared of again! Oh that's right, showering, microwaves, and the sky falling on our heads.