Heston's Feast

Page 2 / 2
bedazzledjewels, Sep 22, 12:14am
Oh, those 1970s savoury ice lollies look so delicious!

deus701, Sep 22, 2:18pm
I can safely say all this would take alot of specialty equipment to have it executed right. For anyone else wishing for 'a taste of Heston', there 'might' be this restaurant called Food Embassy run by Tony Moss at waiheke island.

Im not sure what they serve there, but Tony told me how he worked at heston, they were doing this panna cotta which they caramalise the exterior (something to do with using agar as a setting agent).well i was in the middle of service so only listened to around 30% of what he said.lol

deus701, Sep 22, 2:22pm
would you try the chocolate mice lollies!

The dish that really strike me was the bangers n mash (sausages n mash potatoes).where he used condoms to shape the rice pudding. Its a real eye opener for me, where what you see and perceive it to be is not what it tastes like. Wow.

olwen, Sep 22, 8:08pm
I've been tempted to do a meat fruit thing he had.Bought old round ice cube trays to make ballsof pate.They were covered in a fruit pulp set with agar that didn't seem too hard to make.

As a child (many, many years ago) I imagined using junket and apricots to make something that looked like poached eggs.I guess I've always wanted to play with my food.

valentino, Sep 23, 4:10am
deus701, anything can be done to suit oneself, Heston ideas really opens up options though the equipment and materials he uses is beyond myself but the idea of doing something different or perhaps something being presented using his examples are real possibilities.

This is where I love watching these Heston's Feasts.

As Olwen noted, go for it, love being a child again.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 28, 11:48pm
Starting soon - the 80s I think!

bedazzledjewels, Oct 12, 10:44pm
The final in the series is about to screen. TV1 at 12 noon.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 27, 6:05am
A food week in the hectic lives of Heston - and Nigella - and others
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/26/foodie-food-diaries-nigella-heston
How about this bi from Heston! -
"Lunch at the lab: yoghurt and tampons. We were testing the effect of certain foods and how they coat the palate for an interactive presentation. The tampon dries the saliva out between spoonfuls, so you can identify how the tongue perceives flavour. It did work, but I wonder how it will go down."

bedazzledjewels, Oct 27, 6:05am
A food week in the hectic lives of Heston - and Nigella - and others
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/26/foodie-food-diaries-nigella-heston
How about this bit from Heston! -
"Lunch at the lab: yoghurt and tampons. We were testing the effect of certain foods and how they coat the palate for an interactive presentation. The tampon dries the saliva out between spoonfuls, so you can identify how the tongue perceives flavour. It did work, but I wonder how it will go down."

davidt4, Oct 27, 8:37am
So many double entendres in one paragraph!

bedazzledjewels, Oct 27, 7:17pm
For some reason I thought of Prince Charles!

valentino, Nov 22, 6:42pm
bedazzledjewels, Hmmm, getting back to Heston, yesterday, my lady friend loaned me a book to peruse for a week, "Heston Blumenthal at Home" includes how to cook like Heston, ISBN 9781408804407.
I believe this may interest you, perrhaps from the Library or whatever.

Personally, a very nice book with some great recipes, and gives a very good insight on overall preparing, ingredients used and well illustrated especially on his ways demostrated partially in his TV and Restaurant offerings.

Check it out.

Cheers.

valentino, Nov 22, 8:00pm

bedazzledjewels, Nov 22, 9:12pm
Thanks Valentino. I'll get it out of the library.

I enjoyed this recent series too. Good to see him introducing sous vide to the armed services. I'll never forget that cramped stores room on the submarine!
I've got one of his Christmas puddings with hidden tangerine in it from Nosh. It's the closest I'll come to eating his food unless I cook something from hisbook.

whitehead., Nov 22, 10:05pm
i know how to do that its in an old edmonds book from the 50s

bedazzledjewels, Dec 7, 7:01pm

blands70, Dec 8, 7:21pm
I have eaten at the fat duck. It was incredible - mind blowing and delicious. We had the tasting menu. Was worth every penny.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 8, 7:42pm
Blands - lucky, lucky you. Were you allowed to take photos! Tell us what the atmosphere was like there please.

blands70, Dec 8, 9:25pm
Probably ok to take photos- although we didn't (and was a few years ago prior to having a camera phone). We did bring home the menu though (printed single-use sheet of paper, not a fancy one!) It's a very small dining room, impeccable service and quiet refined atmosphere, although unpretentious. Every course was delivered with its own cutlery and an explanation of what it was and how to eat it (if necessary). They were all delicious as was the coffee - by far the best I had in over 6 years in the UK.