calling--Uli

Page 1 / 2
lilyfield, Nov 26, 3:05am
I want to make some" Badener Kraebeli" for Christmas. Recepe asks for Triebsalz. Leo does not give a translation and I can't remember the name. Is it Ammonia Bicarbonate ? Available from chemists only

maxwell.inc, Nov 26, 3:08am
lmao shes in hot demand today.

uli, Nov 26, 3:32am
Triebsalz is Hirschhornsalz which is
Ammoniumhydrogencarbonat NH4HCO3
and/or Ammoniumcarbonat (NH4)2CO3
also called bakers ammonia or Ammonium carbonicum (which is an old name for it).

Here some info in German (too lazy to translate):
Hirschhornsalz wurde früher durch trockene Destillation aus Hirschhörnern oder aus Horn, Klauen und ähnlichem gewonnen.
Hirschhornsalz zerfällt beim Erwärmen in die drei Gase Ammoniak, Kohlendioxid und Wasser (Dampf).
Als Backtreibmittel z. B. für Lebkuchen oder Biber verwendet. Beim Backen wird Ammoniak gebildet, der entweichen soll; beim Backen Fenster öffnen. Pottasche (Kaliumcarbonat) und Hirschhornsalz geben dem Lebkuchen die typische Geschmacksnote.
Als Backpulver: 1 g Hirschhornsalz auf 100 g Mehl
Hirschhornsalz ist nicht für Hochgebäck wie Brote oder Kuchen geeignet, da der unangenehm riechende Ammoniak darin nicht entweichen kann!
Dicht verschlossen aufbewahren - riecht beissend nach Ammoniak! Hirschhornsalz hat eine beschränkte Haltbarkeit und soll trocken gelagert werden. Wenn es nicht mehr riecht, ist es nicht mehr zu gebrauchen.

uli, Nov 26, 3:40am
Hope that answers all your questions LOL :)
Otherwise keep asking.

I personally use neither Hirschhornsalz nor Pottasche, but simply baking powder. Works every time and I can live without the smell of Ammonia in my baking LOL :)

lilyfield, Nov 26, 5:05am
Pottasche (Kaliumcarbonat) und Hirschhornsalz geben dem Lebkuchen die typische Geschmacksnote. Thanks Uli- that's why I want to use it. Would not be the same Christmas without some of the traditional smells around the place. lebkuchen with baking powder? must try that... .

uli, Nov 26, 5:58am
I am more interested in the taste of honey (I use Manuka), cinnamon and clove and all the lovely spices than the ammonia LOL - so I have always used baking powder.
However you cannot make a "storage" honey-dough with baking powder unless you find the type that reacts with heat (phosphate based). This the kind of dough that you make in August or September and leave in a plastic bag in the fridge to mature .
The normal NZ baking powders are all mixes that react with liquid, so need to be baked immediately. Only Bakels sell one (wholesale only) which must be the other kind, as it states "HERCULES BAKING POWDER is very stable and products can be held for a period of time prior to baking. Acid Phosphate type Baking Powder with bench tolerance. "

evorotorua, Nov 26, 7:49am
Haha I put this into Word and hit translate. . I love the bit about a back blowing agent! ! ! !
"Hirschhornsalz was obtained earlier by dry distillation from Hirschhörnern or horn, claws and similar. Hirschhornsalz crumbles when the heating in the three gases ammonia, carbon dioxide and water (steam). As for gingerbread or Beaver used as back blowing agent. Baking notated ammonia, which should escape; when baking open window. Koh (potassium carbonate) and Hirschhornsalz the gingerbread give the typical taste note. Backpulver: 1 g Hirschhornsalz on 100 g flour Hirschhornsalz is suitable for high pastry bread or cake because the unpleasant smelling ammonia can not escape! Keep tight closed - smells beissend after ammonia! Hirschhornsalz has a limited shelf life and should be stored dry. It no longer smells is unusable"

uli, Nov 26, 7:56am
What a laugh! Not really understandable any more.

maxwell.inc, Nov 26, 8:13am
mmmm Beaver

*scurrys out*

winnie231, Nov 26, 8:42am
Thanks for the laugh evorotorua! ! ! It can be as ridiculous the other way as well ... I can remember my early days as a newbie in the german language - in Germany - trying to translate my scone recipe for friends - which isn't really a recipe as I've been making them since I was 8 - and coming up with a 'roll on the floor laughing' description of 'stirring the dough with a knife adding water until the dough has the 'right' consistancy'! ! ! Despite my crude efforts - there are a few households over there which enjoy 'baking powder bread type bakings' now - LOL! ! !

lilyfield, Nov 26, 8:58am
winnie- I have tried unsuccessfully to teach my family making scones.
No one from my family likes them in Germany. Must be because
their BP is vile. Therefore the scones are just awful tasting. They all love them in N. -Z.

evorotorua, Nov 28, 7:40am
translation always makes me laugh. I got a knife as a present one year. it came in a plastic sleeve (imported from asia somewhere) and on the sleeve it said "never leave knife unattended" OMG what would it do? ? ? ? (BTW it wasn't a very good knife)

chelot, Nov 28, 9:25pm
Hi Uli, made sauerkraut yesterday... how will I know when it is ready to eat? Thanks

uli, Nov 29, 1:17am
Have a look here chelot:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=173&p=3

buzzy110, Apr 14, 4:13am
uli. Will be heading away at the end of May and want to have a grain mill delivered to my hotel so I can bring it home as luggage. Can you please tell me:
1. Do you use a hand mill or an electric mill
2. If you use a hand mill is it a normal domestic size or is it bigger?
3. Is grain hard to grind by hand?

Thanks.

buzzy110, Apr 14, 4:16am
I could also get another Harsch Gartopf pot delivered as well if you would like me to get one for you.

I have an arrangement with this shop. They have been excellent so far.

http://store. therawdiet.com/index.html

uli, Apr 14, 5:55am
I have both - but prefer the electric one - for time reasons only.

My hand mill is the first that ever came onto the market in the early 1970's from SAMAP - they still sell it as it was then - it is very good and very useful - but you will feel your muscles if grinding a few kilos.
http://www.spicegrindersgrainmills.com/samap-hand-grain-mill

Grain is not "hard" to grind - but then I do have some muscles in my arms. SAMAP says: "The mill’s grinding capacity ranges from 30 – 80 grams per minute depending on the grain and the strength of the operator. " Basically the faster you make that stone go round the more flour you get. And the more muscle power behind the finer you can adjust the stones.

Note that it is a mill with stones - so that will be good to not destroy too many vitamins - however you cannot grind oily seeds with it. I have put some coriander or very few linseeds in with the grains to grind together - but you cannot grind just linseed - the oil will make the whole stone useless.

If you want more than 500g to a kilo at any one time - I strongly recommend an electric model. So will not get sick of grinding - and so you can have flour so fine that you can make sponge cakes - which takes a long time with the hand mill.

If however you think Armageddon is bearing down on us and we need to be self sufficient - then the hand mill may be more useful :)

I personally would not buy a steel mill - as I think they destroy too many vitamins and get too hot. However if you want to grind a lot of homegrown maize or lots of oil seeds (sunflower, sesame, linseed, poppy etc then a steel mill may be more suitable.

uli, Apr 14, 6:05am
Thanks for the kind offer - however I think if I need another one I will get one from NZ, so you have more luggage kilos available for other items that you may need.

Goldenfields import the Chech version of the German Harsch pots. They cost NZ$178 for the 10 liter pot at present - which compares favourably with the US$157 sale special price from the above site.

They are a bit more "roundish" than the American or German ones but have the same water rim system etc.

beaker59, Apr 14, 9:26am
Where are you going Buzzy?

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 9:32am
I have a Uli question! since shes the only one I can ask who might know this LOL

I am managing to score some VERY nice cheese at the moment at our local count down. . no one else buys it! so it sits there and is then reduced to clear at half the price ...

All it has on the wrapper is "German Milk Elemental Cheese" it has holes in it like swiss cheese does, its very pale and very creamy and stringy when melted... its just so nice! am I eating a real cheese or is this some Kiwi wannabe German copy? (and how can I make it my self. . saves paying $4. 50 for 300g - normally around $9 for that 300g)

cookessentials, Apr 14, 9:38am
I think you might mean Emental or ementhal cheese

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 9:40am
Oh u might be right there CE... Emental looks right... I dont have the packaging because its just glad wrap and a sticker so it gets binned when I re-wrap the cheese. . but yes that sounds more like it! Thanks :o)

cookessentials, Apr 14, 9:41am
It is a Swiss cheese maxwell. inc

cookessentials, Apr 14, 9:44am
Here is a little info for you
One of Switzerland’s oldest cheeses, the original Emmental cheese hailed from the valley of the Emme river in west central Switzerland. Fitting that a little river valley like Puhoi should have it’s own Emmental cheese as well. . This semi-soft cheese has a smooth elastic texture, nutty flavour and a sweet aroma.

http://www.opencountry.co.nz/page/34-Our-Products+Cheese+Emm
ental-Cheese

http://www.gourmetdirect.com/0800-TASTE-IT/Online-Shop/Chees
e/Kaimai-Emmental-Cheese-1kg-Block/

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 9:49am
Thats it!

Its seriously yummy cheese, I'm glad no one else likes it and it gets reduced to clear for me to snaffle!

Thanks CE.