What is the least you could manage with .

Page 1 / 2
duckmoon, Mar 7, 9:46am
What is the least you could manage with in the kitchen.

elliehen, Mar 7, 9:47am
Water.

katalin2, Mar 7, 10:35am
Stove top, chopping board, good knife:)

magenta, Mar 7, 11:03am
We had to manage without all electrical devices for two days during recent storms.Thing I missed most was running water as ours runs on electric pump.The generator was hooked up to that first!Once I got the gas camping stove up and running things were fine.Great to have all the electrical gadgets back, but water out of the tap is something we take for granted

duckmoon, Mar 7, 8:06pm
Hubby and I are thinking of moving. and effectively starting over.
I am not sure I am prepared to just take a suitcase each. and I am trying to think what the "least" is I could cope with .
A few items in the suitcase, and a few items purchased at the other end.

If this was your situation, what would be on your list!

dibble35, Mar 7, 8:16pm
Knives, durable plastic plates, tin opener, bowl, cutlery, large high sided fry pan.

sarahb5, Mar 7, 9:07pm
Running water and a surface to work on - doesn't matter whether it's a bench or a table, some form of cooking appliance although a stove would be preference I could probably manage with a BBQ or microwave for quite a while, and sharp knives.

I think you'd probably have to take your children as well .Although they're not technically a kitchen appliance they do have their uses!If/when I think of some I'll let you know .

duckmoon, Mar 8, 5:55am
So, I assume we will rent a property with a fitted kitchen.
And I have two lists
1. Things to take:
Regular knife, serrated knife, and bread knife
Tupperware : three level container thingy
Le crueset cassorole (heavy, but I can cook anything in it.)

2. Things to buy on arrival
Cutlery, four knife fork & spoon
Plates, four plates and bowls
Four glasses, two cups
Wooden spoon
Can opener
Smaller pot

sarahb5, Mar 8, 6:07am
Are you "fleeing" in this country or overseas!I would actually take a wooden spoon and spatula as they are what I use a lot to cook with and it has taken my ages to find replacements for my favourites because most of the ones I tried just didn't "feel" right.

duckmoon, Mar 8, 6:10am
I think when (if) we pack, I will have a pile of "must haves" and then a pile of "nice to haves" and see what fits from the second pile

duckmoon, Mar 8, 6:13am
Just trying to work out what should be in each pile.

sarahb5, Mar 8, 7:51am
LOL - I don't envy you that task!

v-tec-chickie, Mar 8, 10:42am
duckmoon: We recently did this, flew to a new country. I paid extra so we could take 3 suitcases. The important things soon changed when packing, and its surprising how cheaply some things can be brought (i.e chopping boards, utensils, plates, cups, plastic containers etc). Their quality initially doesnt matter and can be upgraded as and when needed (often finding you don't need). I took my good knives, my scanpan stainless steel pots, and a can opener! Cheap frypan was brought, which wasnt too bad, and Kmart and the like have roasting dish type sets for a pretty reasonable price.

elliehen, Mar 8, 11:01am
It all sounds very mysterious.

lx4000, Mar 8, 7:53pm
fridge,1 element, knifes, 2 pots, fry pan and chopping board. Have done just so when preggie building a house! I was living in a old house falling apart with no glass or anything, with no power (sneaked a cord from builders box) or running water and no bathroom at all, just a camping loo! A bath once a week when I went to my mother in laws other than that, it was a bowl of water or the creek! Had drinking water collected from a spring down the road. It was over winter and our home was rushed finished when I had my son so we had a home to come home to!

elliehen, Mar 8, 10:37pm
Sounds like me when I lived in a bach with a baby, except that we often ran out of rainwater from the tiny roof and used to fill the bath during a storm and keep it as a spare tank!The sea was only a few steps away for washing, and we had a longdrop.

jellybeanbee04, Mar 9, 3:35am
I guess they brought in 3 suit cases of stuff to the new country and then brought the items they need such as chopping boards while living in the new country! Not before leaving - was the way I read it anyway!

davidt4, Mar 9, 3:41am
Look up the meanings of "brought" and "bought".They are not interchangeable.

knowsley, Mar 9, 3:49am
Was Uli's and your "superior" attitudes the reason you were both kicked out of the NZ Low Carb website! Did they get so sick of you, that they finally had had enough and banned you! It only takes a few to try and spoil it for others.

elliehen, Mar 9, 3:51am
You're under missile attack from two pedants, jellybeanbee04- known elsewhere on the messageboards as 'spelling nazis'.

Everybody else read it exactly the way you did and had no trouble understanding any of it :)

mwood, Mar 9, 4:15am
Yes comprehension is more practical than reprehension

elliehen, Mar 9, 4:22am
I suspect the pair are schoolmarm manquées ;)

lurtz, Mar 9, 4:34am
How well put and wise.

lurtz, Mar 9, 4:57am
From Aunt Daisy's Scrapbook dated 1943. A little pearl from the quotes of well known folk she admired.

"The men who are lifting the world upward and onward, are those who encourage more than criticise."

Knowing Aunt Dairy, as our family did, she would have taken for grantedthat"men"in her quotation, was a generic term, which of course, meant men and women.

Life is interesting:-)

sarahb5, Mar 9, 5:52am
I'm pretty sure this is not how OP would have expected this thread to turn out .