What was that brand of cookwear

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Apr 21, 4:10am
Even older and scarcer are the green-rimmed cream enamel over cast iron of our grandparents.

Your $15 buy at the Sallies was a brilliant one - the value of something is not always what it costs.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 4:16am
Lol. True. I had some but eventually I got sick of how heavy they were. Cast iron is tops, even when compared to my favourite pots. My children couldn't use them because they were too heavy so I got rid of them for simple stainless steel so I could teach them to cook. The s/s pots have now been superseded by Dinerite.

There is another outfit that makes a similar pot to Dinerite and they are equally as good.

karenz, Apr 21, 4:16am
Yep I love it, can do Osso Bucco in around three quarters of an hour as opposed to the hour and a half in a standard stovetop saucepan/casserole dish. I also have some old cast iron saucepans with lids and a genuine American griddle pan (as immortalised by John Denver), all found in Sallies or Vinnies, I love cast iron cookware.Recently bought a cast iron roasting dish from the warehouse for half price and that is brilliant too.

karenz, Apr 21, 4:19am
Know whatyou mean about heavy, I don't have much storage space and it takes ages (and both hands) to get out the appropriate saucepans and griddles.The cast iron casserole is funky enough to stay on the stovetop.Maybe my kids can pick up the Dinerite's when they get to the second hand shops.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 6:31am
Some understand it far better than one thinks.

elliehen, Apr 21, 7:44am
Cast iron is great for closed firebox cooking too, karenz.

cookessentials, Apr 21, 7:47am
I too have the griddle and a cast iron Dutch oven which is great. There are a number of cookware brands that can be used in the oven, handle and all and you dont have to fork out anywhere near what you do for the Dinerite.

lyl_guy, Apr 21, 8:36am
Very true, I have some Baccarat cookware (hard anodised) from farmers, very reasonable on special. the quality seems excellent and they go from stove top to oven beautifully.
http://www.baccarat.com.au/frypans/hard-anodised-chef-pan-with-lid/w1/i1002219_1001304/
(Got this one on special for less than half that price!)

katalin2, Apr 21, 8:42am
thanks buzzy- good to know it works on induction, not that I am getting anything extra at this stage as we will probably need to move out of our house for earthquake repairs, and the less stuff to shift out the better.

lyl_guy, Apr 21, 8:51am
The baccarat cookware is OK for induction, and excellent quality. have a look next time you go to Farmers.It's incredibly non stick, without a teflon coating, and it's got a 'heavy' base, without being TOO heavy.

market1, Apr 21, 9:02am
Bessemer!

katalin2, Apr 21, 10:51am
Thanks- will have a look next time I am in Farmers.