My plan this year

Page 1 / 2
falconhell2002, Jan 6, 7:16am
Bump for this year

rusticedge, Jan 6, 11:37pm
Hi Whiskey13 . for the rhubarb champagne, could I use my stainless steel preserving pan to make it in or does it have to be a plastic bucket! thanks

whiskey13, Jan 7, 3:33am
Hi rusticedge, any pan (not aluminium though) that's big enough should do. But i have only ever used my bucket. So i don't know how well it would turn out.

falconhell2002, Feb 18, 9:13am
I would like to start making things to give in baskets for Christmas.The problem is that I have never done anything like it before.I envision making something each month that can be put away until Christmas and then given in baskets to friends.I have no idea what to make that will last that long.If anyone has the time could you please suggest something easy and fairly cheap made with produce that is in season at the moment that will store till December and then some.I would also appreciate it if you have time to post tried and loved recipes.Thanks so much.

falconhell2002, Feb 18, 9:21am
I plan on making Lemon Curd and Lemon Cordial, just waiting for my brothers lemon tree to grow some more fruit after his dogs totally stripped it awhile ago.

greerg, Feb 18, 10:39pm
Both of those are good in baskets, as are home-made jams, chutneys and sauces which are made with summer/autumn produce.If you want them to look super fresh and bright make them now and freeze them.Closer toe Christmas you could make and freeze some shortbread stars and in December make some fudge and truffles.A mix of lemon curd and cordial, a berry jam, plum chutney and apricot sauce would look colourful and varied.If you want to save money on baskets, shallow boxes covered in bright or foll paper look atttactive.

toadfish, Feb 18, 10:49pm
From whiskey in the budgets thread, this should keep.

norse_westie, Feb 18, 10:53pm
I make feijoa Liquer each year. Its not that cheap to make, and you have to make it in season, then store for about 8 weeks till its mature. But its divine and every year I have family and friends begging for more.

lisa2211, Feb 19, 1:06am
Sounds great could you post how to do it please

norse_westie, Feb 19, 1:22am
I tried a couple of varieties:
-use firm feijoas, not ripe. One lot I peeled and stuffed the peel into a mason jar, till chocablock full. The other lot I peeled and sliced thickly, and packed the slices into the jar (this lot was much better, the skin ones had a slightly bitter edge to it).
-add one cup of sugar, and fill to the top with vodka. (this year I am going to try a homebrew vodka to keep costs down).
-seal and leave on a windowsill in the sun, shake gently every day till the sugar dissolves. This takes about 7-10 days.
-now store in a dark cupboard away from light, turn gently every now and then. It is ready in 8-12 weeks. I left mine 12.
-remove fruit/peel and strain through very fine cheesecloth.

It is VERY strong, both feijoa taste and alcohol wise. Be warned. It is thicker than just vodka but not as thick as a syrup. It has a light green/amber colour but very clear if strained well. Present in really nice bottles (I bought some cool looking ones off TM) and gift.

My son made feijoa wine and it was really good but NOTHING compared to the liquer.

whiskey13, Feb 19, 4:35am
Thanks toadfish, i had wondered why this thread had come up in my name search in the last 24 hours. lol

I will hunt out my tomato sauce recipe for you later tonite.I still have bottles from last year and everyone comments how yummy it is. When i sell tomato seeds (German Red Strawberry) i also give this recipe so will post it here for your christmas baskets. What a lovely and thoughtful gift idea, i was given a homemade gift basket and it was the best gift i had received.

edited to add, will also post my rhubarb champagne recipe to.

whiskey13, Feb 19, 4:43am
http://www.craftbits.com/gifts-in-a-jar#Gifts
Just another thought for your gift ideas. I made a few of these as christmas gifts and the recipients were rapt

whiskey13, Feb 19, 4:49am
This recipe was on trademe a wee while ago. I've NEVER made fudge before ( always to afraid of failing ) this was the first one i tried and it is the ONLY one i will ever make. Sorry to the original post whom i cant remember

CREAMY, NO-BEAT FUDGE
Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup
Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming
Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms Whittaker's white chocolate
Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper
Do not cut until completely cold, for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)

There is no reason why you cant make this a couple months ahead and keep it in an airtight container out of direct sunlight and then put into your baskets

kob, Feb 19, 4:50am
get some nice bottles with screw lids and make rhubarb champaigne,( search in the search engine) and with the lemons do some preserved lemons.but one exrtremely great gift I got that I used was lots of condiments, they were brought but you could make it, there was a stuffing mix one, and a just add to a cheeseball type, and lots of nice hot drinks etc etc, there is also a gift you can make of a nice china mug,filled with a devine hot choc rmixture and then you chocolate dip the plastic spoons so that the choclate goes all throug the choclate, all these can be found in the trade me search engine, happy gift basket making, one I love that I always intend to ake is the cake mix in a jar, or cookie dough mix in a jar, all the ingredients go in the jar with a hand made note saying what to add and how long to cook it for, great gift idea

whiskey13, Feb 19, 4:51am
Green tomato mustard pickle

Day 1:
3 cups coarsely chopped onions ( usually just 2). 4 cups coarsely chopped vegetables (green tomatoes, cauliflower, beans, firm zucchini etc - I usually just use green tomatoes and cauliflower including leaf and stalks).
Put into a bowl (glass or ceramic best), pour over 1/4 cup of plain salt, cover with water and leave overnight. Next day rinse and drain.
Day 2:
Heat 5-6 jars (2 litres total volume to be safe) in the oven at 120 deg C for 20 mins, turn down to 100 deg and leave in oven.
Put jar lids and a small jug into a pot and boil 5 mins, drain and leave covered.

Mix in shaker: 3 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp mustard powder, 1 and a quarter tsp tumeric, 170ml malt vinegar (DYC vinegar gives good resulks), 280ml cider vinegar, 100g sugar, 1 and a half tsp celery seed, 1/2 tsp chilli concentrate/paste stuff. Bring to boil and boil till thickens.

Add drained vegetables, bring to boil, turn off heat then bottle into hot jars and cover. Best after 3 weeks or so.

This was a recipe that i recieved from a trader on here when i brought some celery seeds off her (sorry Anne, i cant remember your user name lol)

whiskey13, Feb 19, 4:53am
Rhubarb Champagne
1 Kg of Rhubarb washed and CHOPPED
1 & 1/2 tsb of white vinegar
700 grams of white sugar
3 & 1/2 litres of water
Zest & juice of six lemons

Put all ingredients into A large non metal container,mix it up and make it nice,stand for 48 hours,strain then bottle and leave for three weeks before drinking,it is very very nice and refreshing also non- alcoholic

whiskey13, Feb 19, 4:56am
Bright Red Tomato Sauce are: 6 kg ripe red tomatoes, 4 apples, 2 onions, 2 tablespoons whole allspice, 2 cloves garlic, 1 1/2 kg Chelsea white sugar, 1/4 cup salt, ground black pepper and 1 litre malt vinegar.
Wash and chop the tomatoes and apples, skins included. Chop onions. Tie allspice and garlic in a muslin bag. Boil all ingredients together slowly for two hours, stirring frequently. When cool, discard muslin bag and put sauce through a sieve, or use a food processor. Pour in hot sterilised bottles and seal.

whiskey13, Feb 19, 4:58am
Bailey's Irish Cream

1 can condensed milk, 2 beaten eggs, 1T drinking chocolate, 2t coffee, 1/2 pint cream, 1/2c whiskey (to taste). dissolve coffee and drinking choc in a little warm water. Beat all ingredients together then add whiskey last-stir in.

makespacenow, Feb 19, 5:23am
You can also make soaps, body massage bars (like lysh minus the chemicals), lip balms, bath salts.

falconhell2002, Feb 19, 5:44am
Oh My Gosh,I got home from work to so many replies.This is fantastic.Thanks so much.I'm really quite excited about doing this.Just got to find a collection of funky looking jars and bottles.Thanks again.

falconhell2002, Feb 19, 5:55am
This sounds good,How much does it make Whiskey!

falconhell2002, Feb 19, 5:55am
Also how do I know what will keep till Christmas and beyond!

whiskey13, Feb 19, 6:17am
Hi falconhell, this recipe makes between 6-8 v bottles or lift plus bottles. I can't remember exactly has i make it by just throwing stuff in now, I'm not exact with my ingredients lol

whiskey13, Feb 19, 6:28am
Everything i have posted, except fudge and baileys, will keep for over a year if left unopened, once opened it will just be like anything else brought in the shops ie use as soon as possible, keep in the fridge and use within a couple/few weeks. The fudge and baileys should be made as close to christmas as possible (within 3-4 weeks) and they don't usually last long to worry about lasting beyond christmas lol ;)
You can also buy bulk lollies( ie Macintosh's and blackballs) and bag them up into smaller bags.And individual teabags and coffee sachets
The ideas are endless, you are going to have so much fun. I have seen heaps of cane baskets at the charity barn shops so you might want to start looking at the different sizes to help you plan. There is no point having heaps of different things to put into your baskets only to end up buying a size too small or too big.

falconhell2002, Feb 19, 6:31am
Thanks heaps Whiskey, im probably going to go with the wrapped boxes to put everything in.Then I can find some really funky paper to cover them with.Think I will try and get some bottles this week and make your sauce next week.We are on a tight budget so everything has to be done as I get the produce etc for it.