Woe is me ... Must feed us all for $200/wk!

Page 7 / 20
tree55, May 7, 1:11am
PLease direct me to the 25 doller a week thread too pl! ! ! !

msfit1, May 7, 5:54am
-fritters! use leftover meat and veg or just can of corn... . they go along way and everyone seems to love em'
-burgers! add grated veg to stretch further.
-asian noodle type salad... . lots of veg
you get the idea... .

ferita, Jun 5, 12:00am
The $40 dollar a week menu
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm

kurtis, Jun 5, 7:10am
i see by your profile you are in auckland i suggest you do alot of your everyday shopping at reducedtoclear they have shops in auckland

elleneva, Jun 8, 12:10am
My husband just bought frozen pork shoulder from the mad butcher for $3. 99/kg. Slow roasted it on very low heat for 8 hours, then while still hot, shredded the meat off the bones, put it in a loaf tin and put some cans on top to weigh it down. Result after the night in the fridge - a loaf of pressed roast pork - perfect to slice thinly for the weeks sandwhiches - and tastes delicious. Even the super fussy 16 yr old ( won't eat any meat with chewy or chunky bits ) LOVED it! ! And at $3. 99/kg - Cheaper than luncheon! ! !

motorbo, Jun 8, 12:47am
Someone may have said this, but I use rice as im gluten free but you can use noodles, though not sure how cheap they would be, but I cook my rice and add an egg to about a cup with my flavours and whatever vegeI wanna and fry, can be as a snack or with vege for dinner

nato08, Jun 13, 8:10am
Just wanted to say to darlingmole, you have done an amazing job! ! We have two adults (my and my hubby - I'm BFing still so i need a fair bit of food) a toddler and a baby - and I have a budget of $100 a week for us (including some nappies and formula (for top ups) ). Its bloody hard, but you do what you can ay. We have meat maybe once or twice a week, as rice and pasta are cheaper. Both kids are in cloth nappies to save some money, and mr 2yr old is in a cheap disp for night time.

thanks to all those who have put in their ideas in here, im finding them v helpful :)

indy95, Jun 14, 5:17am
Bumped for bananabear

motorbo, Jun 14, 9:48pm
someone may have said this but add red lentils to your mince to make it go further

pickles7, Jul 19, 11:19pm
Here you are for the cost of 3kg of brown sugar, a gallon of vinegar, 3. 8 liters, you will have, ready for next summer. dressings, pickles, plum sauce, etc. Probably cost wise , 5 X 75 mil bottles for the price of 1 bottle of vinegar.
go look for the cow and "making vinegar". It is all in there.

seniorbones, Jul 20, 12:19am
Which supermarket does that? Pak & Save up here turns it all into crumbs and sells it in bags quite cheap but usually too much and it goes a bit stale before I can use it all so the chooks get it.

janny3, Sep 11, 2:58pm
Smell of an oily rag Some good ideas here if it helps:
http://www.oilyrag.co.nz/ & http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

valentino, Sep 27, 1:06am
z... .

gibbous1, Sep 28, 1:00pm
Cheap meals A regular meal we do is soup with pancakes or crepes (usually do crepes as better on the amount of protein). Our local butcher does three meaty chicken carcasses for $1!!!

Falafels also work out very cheap and make for a filling nutritious meal.

Make one meal a week based on eggs - works out well when you're buying by the tray.

darlingmole, Sep 28, 6:59pm
As it's not only shopping day but SCHOOL HOLIDAYS again (!) I've decided to really cut costs and have these kind of meals over the fortnight: baked beans w toast; pasta w fresh sauce, may be a little tuna & vege with it; toasted sandwiches; vegetable soup n rolls; eggs any-style on toast; vegetarian bake with salad ... yes, basically meat free for a while.Also I'm not going to do ANY baking of the sweet variety and just give everyone fruit.Will post later and tell you if I saved any $ (as I find in the holidays that the cupboards/fridge are raided when I'm out the room and don't save much at all - just changed their diet for a while)

toadfish, Sep 28, 8:02pm
Make the school holidays fun.... Last holidays I took a couple of little girls (7&8) with my big girls to see a show in the Bruce Mason Theatre (we had been given tickets - very lucky) We parked a little way away and walked (to avoid paying for parking)then after I had to think "what for lunch".It was a beautiful day so I took a loaf of soft bread, tomatoe sauce and a bottle of drink from home, brought $5 of hot chips and that fed the 5 of us.We parked up by a playground at some beach on the way to devonport and the children had chip butties and played on the playground for hours.. Not the most nutritious meal but for the twice a year we do it... ok by me! The whole day cost us under $10!!

toadfish, Sep 28, 8:02pm
blah blah blah The really funny thing is the children come from a well to do.. high earning family, they do heaps of things that cost the earth... and they both said it was the best day they ever had... Lots of laughs... & I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 younger girls.. was like going backin time.... Maybe you could do that for a treat DM with the money you save from your meatless meals....(minus the show of course that was a bonus... they enjoyed the playground and butties just as much!)

darlingmole, Oct 2, 3:56am
oh toady - what a lovely idea ... I use to do exactly that with my first 4 kids - and it went down a treat ... hot chips at Long Bay (summer or winter, it never mattered) with bread/salt/sauce & a BIG bottle of water.Have come to the decision that toddlers/lil kids are WAY easier than teenagers to satisfy.My teenagers have only got me running around after them all week to their social agendas (the food hasn't really mattered) so I've only really had to entertain/feed my two little ones.I know that the money part isn't the issue until they're older and realise about the "Joneses" ~! ha!Sounds like you had a good day anyway ...

helen59, Oct 2, 7:19am
me... I took 4 kids to the movies yesterday. For snacks we had a bag of home made popcorn each and a piece home made brownie. Everyone was happy and it hardly cost anything. I went to Moore Wilsons (Wgtn) a while ago and bought a pile of paper bags. It was an extravagant expense but brilliant. It turns out homemade things taste better from a paper bag. They are also used when we have 'homeaways' on a Fridy night.

tumbleweeds2011, Oct 3, 4:47pm
I have my little grandaughter once a week and we used to go have lunch somewhere nice but its just too dear for the budget over the last few weeks, she's only 3 so I can do this easily - its lunch at home and then we go to MCDonalds for a 50 c icecream and play in the playground thing, we can be there for well over an hour on 50 c. We live close and park at the supermarket next door.

evorotorua, Oct 3, 5:38pm
thank you thank you thank you for recognising the absolute thrill of a cheap day out. When my two were little my friends and I had a fixed date at the local pool at 9am on a Friday. In Rotorua the pool is free for under fives (not sure if it still is. that was 10yrs ago)We all brought something to eat and drink and stayed a the pool till almost lunch time. Supervisors were also free so entry didn't cost us parents anything. The pool is shallow enough that safety was not an issue. As the kids got older they just moved to the appropriate end of the pool. By the end of the morning it was sleep time for the littles and a video for the older ones until time to pick 'big' kids up from school. No money involved. Lots of fun.

evorotorua, Oct 3, 5:40pm
when the kids were older in the summer we had friends that we would go to the lake with when it had been a hot day. We went down about 4pm and took a little bbq cooker. The rule was only bread, sauce and sausages allowed for eating. No salads, no other stuff. Just cheap and nasty. Was a pleasant way to spend the evening and very cost effective. No competition to 'keep up with the Joneses'. (we maintained our nutritional diet on other days!!!!)

psychicxpress, Oct 10, 1:36am
I've taken on two grandies full time (7 and 8) and they are exceptionally sensitive to food colourings, additives and preservatives. Because of this, I've had to go back to the days when everything was made from scratch.
This thread is an absolute godsend of ideas and tips... Thank you so much

bettyboots, Oct 10, 4:36am
Hi all, love your thread.There was mention of a self crusting quiche receipe, could someone please post it for me. cheers.

lythande1, Oct 10, 4:46am
Ladies products - go on the DP injection, that eliminates the need for those.
CLeaning - use cupboard stuff, Vinegare and baking soda etc, loads of recipes if you google it.
Food, buy in bulk where you can. Especially meat. The Aussie Butcher is excellent, bulk packs, whole animals - they will cut however you want.
Stick with veges that are in season.