Woe is me ... Must feed us all for $200/wk!

Page 3 / 20
buzzy110, Jul 20, 5:37am
Yep. I knew someone would find my suggestion funny and make it the butt of a joke. However, if you are serious about cutting down on your spending the reusable tampon saved me heaps of dollars over the years and also, I never found myself without protection.

tich50, Jul 20, 6:21am
Onanmoreseriousnotebuzzy110 Ihaveneverheardaboutthereusabletampon before? IsitcommoninNewZealand? I'monlyhereacoupleofyears.

elleyh, Jul 20, 7:14am
i have regular emails from mysavings.com its a website that sends you links to free samples. alot is rubbish but there are always heaps for tampons every couple of months or so - slightly less maybe i dont have to buy tammys (have quite a stock at the mo as 6 months preggy) you often get the packets of 8 - 10. the best sample i have got from there is a neutrogena spot clearing gel (yes sometimes i still get spots) any way it wasnt a sample size as such it was the size of the product when you buy it from the store - for at least 10bucks or more!

mel.harrison, Jul 20, 7:46am
hello *lurker here* im always spying on this thread LOL i have to say i have a 'mooncup' $50 brand new (well youd hope) from trademe, lasts 10yrs, i use a crystal stick instead of deoderant it lasts for years and years and is cheap from the health shop, i get aquias (sp) on script from the doctor if you have a communtiy card it costs $4 and you get 3bottles i use that to shave and moisturise and massages, im fragrance sensitive so suits me fine ummmm i do lots of what is suggested in here will post back if i think of anything else and thank you for all your ideas

toadfish, Jul 20, 6:50pm
I went to schenleys Yesterday The idea is to go after 3 o'clock as all the bread products are half price (i don't buy there pies) ... unfortunatly I didn't get their till 3. 35pm and there was only 1 pack of paninis left (thats what I go for) but they did have packs of huge long rolls... so I got those instead. For $10. 45 I got 4 packs of the huge rolls (6) and the last pack of paninis (6). I used a pack of long rolls for "paninis" last night... and they were great, more filling than a regular panini, great for teenages and hungry husbands... . phew... as I felt they may be too dry to have fresh... Last nights paninis were chicken, spicy plum sauce, grated cheese & red onion... served with pumpking soup from the freezer.

toadfish, Jul 20, 6:55pm
Now "Queen of mean"... . Yesterday I knew I was shopping on the shore and would be home late... I had already got a chicken out the night before as the shopping expedition was a last minute thought... so very cunningly (I thought) I cooked the chicken in the morning before we left... as it was a size 22 and knew if we waited till be got home we wouldn't eat till too late. I used the breast meat last night in paninis and have the rest of it for tonight... . So I have chicken... and some sage & onion stuffing... How would you suggest I turn that into a meal. I thought of frying up an onion and making a white sauce and stirring it through... . but what else can I add... and how can I serve it... . Pie? ? ? don't have pastry... Any thoughts appreciated.

tumbleweeds2011, Jul 20, 7:13pm
Hi Toadfish. I use leftover chicken in a pasta dish. Cook some pasta, amount varies as to how many I am cooking for. Saute onion and garlic and mushrooms if like, or bacon, some herbs of choice. Chuck in a tin of evaporated milk and simmer 5 minutes, add chicken and salt and pepper, simmer 5 or so minutes for chicken to heat through. Sometimes I add brocolli. Basic method for sauce is the same but I just add whatever I've got. Sometimes I add grated cheese at end.

ange164, Jul 20, 7:39pm
I use leftovers in soup, butter chicken, stirfry, toasted sandwiches with sweet pickle and cheese, and chicken nuggets.

toadfish, Jul 20, 7:51pm
I just thought because of the sage & onion stuffing component... I needed to have a plain sauce... . Maybe chicken gravy even... still thinking...

doug57, Jul 20, 8:59pm
put the stuffing to one side! ! and make a sauce for the chicken. . add button mushrooms and chopped celery, blue cheese [Mmmmm]. . you could even add sweetcorn, pour into dish and top with mashed kumara, or potato and bake in oven till golden. You could use slices of bread pressed around sides of dish instead of pastry

cxc_mama, Jul 20, 10:41pm
Doug57 that sounds good. I use the leftover chicken for homemade pizzas on pita bread, yummo

darlingmole, Jul 21, 12:39am
*waves to to Toady* :-) wish I'd known you were over here - would have like to have met you! Anyway, the only way I know how to make pie without pastry is the old self-crusting quiche recipe, although I believe there is a rice "pastry" that people make (never tried it). I had a size 22 chicken last night aswell! Made sure there was 1/3 of chook leftover and tonight I'm making chicken soup (with onion, garlic & spinach in it) with fresh tomthumb rolls from P'n'S ($2. 79 today) and probs a chocolate brownie for dessert. I'm always amazed that I can feed us all twice on one chicken (goes without saying the stock I'm using was from the same chooks old bones! )

shanf1, Jul 21, 7:28pm
chicken chowmein happy to add to your list of recipes for large families.
Boil chicken [any cheap one will do] cut up and keep stock
3 lrg onions chopped
Add chicken and simmer 5 mins
add 2 1/2cup water
2 pkts chicken noodle soup[I would now use cheap chicken noodles 5 for $1}
1 1/2 cups mixed veges
1 tbsp soya sauce - 2tbsp brown sugar -2 tbsp rice - 1 tsp each mustard and curry powder
Stir and simmer 20 mins
add chopped cabbage before serving. Makes a huge pot full enough for your entire family.

shanf1, Jul 21, 7:35pm
spanish beef [mince recipe] makes a large pot full
3/4 cup rice browned in 1 tsp butter
1 1b mince[sorry old measurements]
chopped onion3 cups water
1 tsp marmite in 1/2 cup water
1 cup tom sauce1 tsp worc sauce
1 tsp salt1 dspt sugar 1 tsp curry
boil together for 1 hour

This recipe has delicous flavours and very fillng and cheap

shanf1, Jul 21, 7:39pm
sausage pie 1 1b flaky pastry [make your own] 1 lrg onion1 chopped apple
1 1b sausage meat1 1/2 cups cooked rice1 beaten egg
1 dsp curry4 tbsp parsley s&p
Mix all ingredsPlace on pastry and roll like sausage roll
Cook 40030-40 mins
I double and freeze, lovely for lunches also.

toadfish, Jul 22, 7:08am
It was delicious I fried up an onion, added the diced chicken and diced stuffing... . added chicken gravy and mixed veg. . put it into a pie dish and made a quick scone dough pastry top... . baked till golden... . the troops were impressed... i gave them the option of a mashed potato topping but they chose the scone dough topping...

winnie15, Jul 23, 4:47am
#202 it's called a mooncup you can buy them for around $35 - $50 ... I've heard they're great and actually shorten the duration and heaviness, are kind to the enviroment and save lots of $$$$$$$$$

winnie15, Jul 23, 4:50am
you can buy them off trade me health shops, family planning. You tube has a demo of the moon cup . . google has lots of info too.

woolfemme, Jul 23, 9:12am
A couple of other good websites sorry If these have been posted, but I had a quick look through and did not see them
The first is
www.hillbillyhousewife.com
-they have a $45 Emergency Menu for 4-6under the most popular listing. (of course its US$ so read about $100 )

then next interesting one is
http://www.aussieslivingsimply.com. au
Lots of info on self-sufficiency, gardening, etc

check them out !

toadfish, Jul 25, 7:08pm
Alison Holsts "Murphy's Mousakka" Another great recipe to add to your repotoire of cheap and filling mince meals... we had it last night and it was delicious... the original recipe just has a can of plain tomatoes but I would jazz it up with herbs you like, red wine... or just use a "flavoured" can of tomatoes... Yum Yum Yum. I made 1. 5 times the recipe in a big baking dish (fed 6 adults and left overs)... . maybe double the recipe would do your troops.

winnie15, Jul 30, 11:14am
i've started working part time and most of my wage goes on food now... so i'm spending more at the supermarket not less! too tired after to work to bake so buy more convience foods... gotta wonder if it's worth it. .

kob, Jul 30, 6:48pm
the key winnie15 is be prepared, on your days off prepare some ready made meals so you are not encouraged to buy processed foods which are not as good for you and although are quick are only a temp full feeling... . as for lunch boxes etc, a batch of muffins and biccies can be made while tea is cooking and cooked while dinner is being eaten you can even freeze the frozen mix in the muffin tin, take out in the morning and cook at night fresh muffins for the lunches, biccies the same, i used to have biccie sausages in my freezer could cut a chunk frozen from loads of diff flavours altho they all looked the same all diff so plann ahead youll be amazed what you can achieve, if you working becuae of money needed make sure it goes to the appropriete place by direct crediting to that place otherwise we are all human and all have temtations

ange164, Jul 31, 11:06pm
So I'm about a month in now of the $100 shops. and my enthusiasim and energy is starting to flag sorely. Last week I did a "big" shop of 140 as I was out of spices and such for all the home baking I've been doing. What I have found with the $100 shops is that my pantry remains fairly darn scant, but we are in fact eating better with the primary foods being fresh bread fruit meat and veg. The cakes I make are now cut into smaller peices so Hubby can still have cake for work lunches etc, just not the "man" size portions he was used to. More sensible portions now. (He's lost 5kg, not that he needed to. ) So I send up a prayer and gather my reserves to troup into next months budget battle. It is tiring how much mental energy it all takes to make it work; but worth while in the sense that the stress of being in debt as the other option would be worse. Keep on trouping Girls! We'll make it.

indy95, Aug 1, 1:17am
Darlingmole, I have just been re-reading some of the posts on this thread and started wondering how your money saving campaign is going. It's only been just over a month since your first post but seems so much longer. Would be interested to hear how you are doing.

winnie15, Aug 1, 12:19pm
thnx kob for those ideas yes i have to be more organized.