64yr tub of lard still fit for consumption.

Page 2 / 2
uli, Feb 3, 2:56am
Because in the not too far future you might have to - but yeah cross that bridge (and have no knowledge how to) when you come to it nfh1

uli, Feb 3, 2:58am
Back to school maybe!

If fat is meat then it has 20g of protein per 100g! Yes!
Or maybe not and it is fat and has no protein at all but 9000 calories per kg!
And bones can be digested like meat - yes and by whom!

No - not back to school - back to an after school tutor with lots of patience.

accroul, Feb 3, 3:05am
OOooooooh we could use the lard to make a nice duck confit!

griffo4, Feb 3, 3:25am
Al Capone is responsible for the use by dates on products according to a program l was watching last night
He hated the curdled milk he received when he was at school and he made sure that it was put on the milk in schools years later
l think he was 23 when he donated money to have milk in schools and he wanted that put on the milk and it went from there

daleaway, Feb 3, 3:41am
Wrap your laughing gear round this old fat, then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_butter

purplegoanna, Feb 3, 4:24am
i cant wait and ill survive quite happily, wish we were at that stage now .thousands might not though.

superdave0_13, Feb 3, 4:56am
Not sure what you are on about there but maybe you could enlighten me and the rest of the messageboard on whether or not you would describe the following as cuts of meat.
lamb shoulder chops, beef T-bone steak, pork loin chops.
As you will be aware there is bone, fat, muscle, skin and connective tissue in these cuts.
If these are not cuts of meat what are they please!

nfh1, Feb 3, 5:46am
If the day ever comes when I need to know how to keep lard for 64 years I will remember this thread and say you were right!

duckmoon, Feb 3, 5:47am
So, the two cases of food poisoning. my question: was that because of the dates on the food, or the poor food handling processes!

uli, Feb 3, 8:01am
Well cannot wait either - but I think the "transition" might not be very "nice" .

purplegoanna, Feb 3, 8:20am
both caused by other parties hence my statement if you prepare your own food and trust your sense of smell, taste, look & feel then there should be no issue and dates are merely a guide not a 'throw away immeadiately' date

nfh1, Feb 3, 9:00pm
I do not know how mine was caused as it was from something I bought from a cafe - so out of date or poor handling - could have been one or the other or both.

The only thing I do know is I would never take the risk of having it again - I was so sick I thought I was going to die, in fact that would have been welcome and one point.It was very very frightening and completely unpleasant, I had no idea that you could end up hospitalised with food poisoning.Thought it was just like a 24 bug thing.

So to me eating out of date food is not worth the risk, but I have no problems with other people eating it!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 20, 12:19am

elliehen, Apr 20, 12:43am
From the link you posted above:

"With lard circulating in polite society again, I would have to introduce myself and get acquainted. First, though, I had to find some. The one-pound brick of lard in my corner bodega was hydrogenated, as was the 40-ounce tub my favourite butcher carries, along with nearly all the commercial lard available in this country. During hydrogenation, fat molecules are pelted by hydrogen until their chemical structures change. Hydrogenation can make liquid fats solid at room temperature (that's how we get Crisco) and gives lard extra stability so it won't go rancid as quickly. Unfortunately, hydrogenation is also the source of unwholesome trans fats, which shoot extra LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) into your arteries while batting away the other, good cholesterol. If I wanted the freshest, purest, most nutritious lard available, I'd have to make it myself."

Does this mean that people who want to reintroduce lard as a 'health' food into their diets have to render down their own pigs!

cgvl, Apr 20, 3:04am
elliehen probably but the smell is horrible. My mother used to render the fat down from beef and probably pig when I was younger and you just didn't want to be home.

elliehen, Apr 20, 3:48am
I'm certainly not planning on doing it, but some of the ideas about eating 'healthy' seem very impracticable on a whole-population scale.

Isn't it better to do things moderately!A poster (nameless) posted elsewhere that moderation meant 'mediocrity'.That is far from the truth.Moderation in all things, eating, study, exercise etc is a commonsense practice.For those who don't like the concept of moderation, there are personal food extremes to be pursued (as there are in sport like cliff-jumping).

All's good if you want to render down your personally organically-raised pig to get your own lard.But, all debate about 'healthy food pyramids' completely aside for the moment,advocating this for the general population just doesn't make sense.

elliehen, Apr 20, 3:48am
I'm certainly not planning on doing it, but some of the ideas about eating 'healthy' seem very impracticable on a whole-population scale.

Isn't it better to do things moderately!A poster (nameless) posted elsewhere that moderation meant 'mediocrity'.That is far from the truth.Moderation in all things, eating, study, exercise etc is a commonsense practice.For those who don't like the concept of moderation, there are personal food extremes to be pursued (as there are in sport, like cliff-jumping).

All's good if you want to render down your personally organically-raised pig to get your own lard.But, all debate about 'healthy food pyramids' completely aside for the moment,advocating this for the general population just doesn't make sense.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 20, 4:40am
Lighten up Ellie; it's Friday! I actually enjoyed the writing and had a few chuckles. I'd be keen to try cooking in lard so I might get a few people together to order some from Havoc.

buzzy110, Apr 20, 5:08am
It is not hard to make your own lard. I do it all the time and there is no awful or nasty smell. Quite the contrary. I make mine from crackling and when I've finished we have delicious crackling to eat.

elliehen, Apr 20, 11:14pm
Yes, I've read about that one on the snopes website.It was supposed to be a wartime poster from the British Council for Lard or some such, but snopes says that the story was apocryphal.