Agria spud lovers.

Page 2 / 2
uli, Dec 7, 4:57am
This is why I put "improved" in quotation marks .

diachris, Dec 8, 9:21am
Well I think all the Agria lovers, haven't found a decent substitue.Thats been my experience aswell, was just hoping there was one that I'd overlooked.I did buy a bag of Victorias once in Nelson they were nice, but never seen them again.Thanks.

uli, Dec 9, 12:29am
I have quite a few different "maori" potato varieties . not a "substitute" for Agria - but a nice different kind of spud - a bit like sweet potatoes or chestnuts.

craig04, Dec 9, 12:49am
Mmmmmm, Cliff's Kidney are my all time favourite potatoes - so hard to find proper ones these days. Jersey Bene are good too and Rua. My Dad grows these small really dark purple-skinned Maori potatoes in Whangarei which I've forgotten the Maori name for but it translates to "Dog Shit" potato. They are delicious!

buzzy110, Dec 9, 12:52am
People definitely go for agria. I was searching for them in the loose spuds a few weeks back and along came at least 3 other people looking for agria. None of us wanted the cheap potatoes that were there. I watched while the three other people all went to the Produce Manager and asked him where the agria were. In the end he made his staff open up several of the 10kg bags they still had in stock. Next week they had loose agria back!

fec2003, Dec 9, 2:55am
A place close to me does Agria as new potatoes too, so I get them old and new and enjoy them most of the year! When I cant get them I substitute with King Edwards or Jersey Bennes. Other than that, bring out the rice! I can't stand the soggy, tasteless white varieties of root vegetables that masquerade as potatoes! Ewwww!

uli, Dec 9, 5:29am
They are called Urenika - and no - they taste much better than I imagine dog shit would taste.

beaker59, Dec 9, 6:07am
They are also known as Tutaekuri Uli which translates to the doggy doodoo reference.

As an aside I was talking to an ex potato grower from down south at my sisters funeral on Wed, spuds throughout the country are hit by a disease which has decimated crops around the country so watch out for high prices coming.

wasgonna, Dec 9, 6:19am
Ilam Hardy then Agria.

Have a look at this webbie. Scroll down to spud varieties and what they do.

http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/grow-your-own/grow-your-own/potatoes.html

craig04, Dec 9, 7:11am
Yes I think that was the name he told me for them - damn they taste good, I'm hoping he'll have some more for me soon!

ridgeline, Dec 9, 7:55am
For an early spud I find Osprey take a lot of beating, followed by Agria later in the season

kuaka, Dec 9, 9:33am
I had to laugh yesterday, I was at the Farmer's market, and there was a young foreigner (not sure, might have been German - didn't speak much English) and he pointed at the bags of spuds which were $3 each and asked for two.The woman grabbed two bags and started to put them in a bag and asked for $6.He shook his head and said he only wanted two potatoes.When the penny dropped, she said she had some loose ones somewhere, and then proceeded to move all these big plastic containers off a stack and in the one at the bottom were the loose potatoes.She grabbed two, gave them to the young chap, and said "here you are" and when he asked how much, she said "nothing, they're yours".He was very surprised and offered to pay again, but again she refused to take his money.

uli, Dec 10, 2:23am
Yep nasty one - but no problem to the home gardener - IF you keep out bought spuds of course!

buzzy110, Dec 10, 2:52am
I'm sorry to hear about your sister beaker. Was it expected or did she pass suddenly!

r-mvz, Dec 10, 4:09am
Osprey are the best Christmas dinner spuds.!

carter19, Dec 10, 6:35am
What are the grey rings in the spuds

wasgonna, Dec 10, 7:26am
Crop circles!

iamkat, Dec 10, 10:41am
Have you tried Van Rosa or moonlight ! We love Agria as well but do also like the Van Rosa and Moonlight - my parents swear by Heather as well - Our family dislikes nadine and thought we were the only ones ! Its nice to meet liked minded folk. Cliffs Kidneys and Jersey Bennies are lovely new seasons potatoes

psy-trading, Dec 10, 10:46am
Is there a difference! I just buy whatever 20kg bags countdown has - they're all much the same to me.

beaker59, Dec 10, 9:28pm
Its been expected for a while (technically should have happened 5 yrs ago) but still hard, just missed her youngest 21st birthday. Good to see all the family together again though.

An interesting observation though. After the service brothers wanted a break before going back to the house so went to pub. My youngest brother was in charge of Kettle BBQ's and was concerned there wouldn't be time if we didn't get back in time. I told him there are a dozen nephews at the house trained by us and that I bet they would take over and do it right, I won the bet :) In a big family like ours all the boys in all generations (apart from the babies) can cook well, many professionally and one nephew was spotted baking with his son in one arm so the next generation are learning already. 100 people for dinner no worries :)

uli, Dec 10, 10:24pm
Will come and visit soon beaker :)
Sounds like an awesome clan you have there !