Agria spud lovers.

Page 1 / 2
diachris, Dec 5, 9:18am
Agria is what I always buy, but do get sick of times when I'm sure they aren't agria.And sometimes there are none available.
So what is similar!There has to be other choices!
And please don't say Nadine, they are my least favourite!

rivercottage1, Dec 5, 5:46pm
Agria is my fav, try not to ever buy anything else. unless its new season jersery bennes they are tops hard to beat.
If Agria is not available then i'll go for red racals or something red.

I HATE nasty Nadines- wouldn't waste my $ on them ever. they are a poor excuse for a spud imo

rivercottage1, Dec 5, 5:49pm
i just wanted to add, i love Agria baked with skin on, opened with butter s/p. have mouth watering as i write this, yummm

dbab, Dec 5, 8:11pm
I like Ilam Hardy at this time of the year. Agrias are my favourite too. I'm with you rivercottage, i don't like Nadines or Ruas.

dezzie, Dec 5, 8:32pm
Maris anchor is the next "go to" spud here.

nfh1, Dec 5, 8:38pm
None of them seem to keep - I am always throwing potatoes away, I am sure they used to last longer - or is it me just getting older!!

harrislucinda, Dec 5, 8:44pm
nonfh1allvegseemstogooffquickerthesedayshaveyounoticedthecarrots!

nfh1, Dec 5, 8:49pm
yes - carrots are dreadful - have started buying them in twos or threes!

mwood, Dec 5, 9:30pm
Agria is just "fad" marketing - white mans Kumara - for a real spud eat Rua

dbab, Dec 5, 9:34pm
The Rua potatoes from the far north are fantastic. From the rest of the country, not so great!

kuaka, Dec 5, 10:22pm
It does depend on what you want to do with the spuds though.Different varieties are more suited to mashing, baking, boiling, chipping, roasting etc.I find for general all round use, rua or ilam hardy, but for mashing agria.I have found agria are no good for chips as they brown too quickly and look burnt before they are cooked.Can't beat rua or ilam hardy for chips.I'm an ABN girl I'm afraid - anything but Nadine.

nzl99, Dec 6, 2:46am
None! hahaI'm an Agria lover too. others just aren't as awesome. :-P

iman007, Dec 6, 3:21am
agria hard to beat, fried them as chips the other night, tasty as.
next choice is cliff kidney, eating them at the moment too, from my wee garden, then jersey bennes from oamaru

sultana0, Dec 6, 5:32am
Agria seem to be a good all round spud. I got sick and tired of the un-bake-able, un-crispy-fied, soggy, un-roast-able bloody spuds I had to put up with this year. Agria spuds are great, dont buy any other until they can grow a spud better, and if you want to change tastes just add a knob of butter or spice it to your tastes

buzzy110, Dec 6, 5:38am
Why not try your local market/Farmer's market when you cannot get agria. I think that potatoes that are marketed under the name of "Maori Potatoes" are very delicious indeed and they can usually only be found at these sorts of markets.

There are several different types so it is best to ask the seller which ones are best for what you want. Their taste exceeds that of agria on every level and I, too, think agria a great tasting spud.

I had English guest 3 weeks ago and added agria to their meals. I caught back up with them a week later at a beach and the first thing they asked me was, "what were the potatoes you served us!" They'd been travelling and eating what they considered the worst spuds ever and were dying to find out which ones they had at my place as they just loved them.

pogram0, Dec 6, 9:37am
I sure wish they would find a way to make agria potatoes a whiter colour.It just doesn't seem right having yellowish potatoes!

ruby19, Dec 6, 6:29pm
I have tried those red jackets, they weren't too bad, but the oven I had then would not cook anything to make it crispy so can't comment if good for the crispy roast spud ( which we love)

davidt4, Dec 6, 7:55pm
Seriously!

kbrough, Dec 6, 8:19pm
I can't find a good potato, they all seem to have grey and brown spots in them, I only buy frozen ones now:(

mudguts1, Dec 7, 12:59am
has anyone heard of a spud called concord.they were around a few years ago but havent seen them for yonks-a top potato for boiling/frying/mashing/baking and chips!

uli, Dec 7, 1:11am
How funny! Just buy Ilam hardy then.
And never buy Urenika!

uli, Dec 7, 1:12am
Agria is the "improved" version of Concorde I was told :)

mudguts1, Dec 7, 3:46am
uli-i think you may be right,but not a patch on the old concorde-they were oval long and uniform in size-sigh! such is progress aye!

kay141, Dec 7, 4:06am
It's an interesting conundrum. Growers will say they are growing the potatoes consumers want but are the consumers buying them because that's all available! I know nobody asked me what sort I wanted.

Off the topic, I have the same question about all the black clothes in the shops.

nfh1, Dec 7, 4:29am
Me too - I am so sick of black!