What can I use instead of Mace please?

Page 1 / 2
kermitnz1, Feb 2, 9:41am
I really want to make the edmonds plum sauce tomorrow, but I have spent $25 on gas running around everywhere looking for Mace and not one of the supermarkets has it. One had an empty space where it was meant to be according to the label, but none on order, and the other 4 had no space for it at all. Is there anything I can use instead please?

alebix, Feb 2, 9:49am
nutmeg?

alebix, Feb 2, 9:51am
It comes from the same tree/nut etc. .

kermitnz1, Feb 2, 9:59am
oh, there you go you learn something every day lol, thanks alebix. I have no idea what mace is as I've never used it before. Does it smell and taste like nutmeg?

245sam, Feb 2, 10:00am
From:-http://homecooking. about.com/library/weekly/blspicesub.htm

"Substitutes for Mace are Allspice; cinnamon; ginger; or nutmeg"

and from:- http://www.cdkitchen.com/features/tips. php

"Use ground allspice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or cloves, starting with half the amount specified in the recipe and adding more to taste. "

Hope that helps. :-))

kermitnz1, Feb 2, 10:01am
thank you very much 245 :-)

kob, Feb 2, 6:04pm
mace is the outer shell of the nutmeg and nutmeg is the best substitution for it, it has been hard to get for along time

cookessentials, Feb 2, 8:38pm
amazing that the "police" are out in force again - you are the kind of people that make this message board a not so pleasant place for some people to come. if helping someone out by getting them some mace bothers you, then at least be upfront about it. I dont SELL the stuff, I was merely offering to help a fellow board member by sending them some - not for making ANY profit. I wont bother next time - have a great day! and may the bird of paradise... ... ... ... ... ... ...

kermitnz1, Feb 2, 9:03pm
Thank you kob, I like leaning new things, so now I know exactly what Mace is which helps a lot.

Cookessentials, I didn't see your first post before it was deleted, but I gather you were trying to help by sourcing me some mace? That's very appreciated and if you have some to list I would be very appreciative. I can always freeze the plums for a week if having Mace is going to give it a better flavor than substituting it for nutmeg?

Does anyone know why it seems to have disappeared off most supermarket shelves? The other thing to disappear is celery seed, which I can only get from Binn Inn now.

cgvl, Feb 2, 9:06pm
mace is very expensive to buy and I think supermarkets don't always stock it because of the price. I have had trouble buying it too, and must admit the price is off putting.

kermitnz1, Feb 2, 9:10pm
hi cgvl, when I was looking at the labels on the shelf yesterday where it was supposed to be at NW the price was about the same as all of the other boxes of greggs spices, I didn't notice that it was any dearer, well not noticeably dearer anyway.

kermitnz1, Feb 2, 9:12pm
In saying that, it may have been an old price label if they haven't had any in for yonks? If it is very expensive then I think I will stick to substituting it with nutmeg :-)

oh_hunnihunni, Feb 2, 9:13pm
Mace is the outer coating to the nutmeg, and it does taste different, but nutmeg in slightly lesser quantities is a good substitute. Mace is a more oldfashioned spice - my plum sauce has survived without it for some years now because I didn't bother replacing the mace in the pantry seeing I only used it once or twice a year...

Hope that helps.

elliehen, Feb 2, 9:19pm
It's a puzzle, cookessentials, because it seems there are traders all over Recipes sending one other bread starter, supplements and other stuff. Your breadth of knowledge about all things culinary is very much appreciated by the majority in this forum:)

kermitnz1, Feb 2, 9:20pm
thanks oh hunnihuinni, that's good info, so I would just substitute 1/2 the amount of mace with ground nutmeg and still get a pretty flavorsome result?

elliehen, Feb 2, 9:27pm
I'm not answering your question directed to oh hunnihunni, but I would always grate the nutmeg from whole nutmegs rather than use ready-ground, because the pungency deteriorates so quickly and a sauce benefits from a fresh spice.

kirinesha, Feb 2, 9:28pm
Just pathetic. Cookessentials, that sort of person who gets posts removed is in the minority thankfully. Usually the gutless kind who doesn't have the b*lls to tackle the issue but prefers to go running to Mummy TradeMe.

kermitnz1, Feb 2, 9:32pm
elliehenthank you that makes sense! ! ! Only thing is I haven't got a tiny grater for that sort of thing and it would cost another $25 trip to town to get one lol. I wonder if the very small side on my cheese grater would do the trick?

Kirinesha, I agree, very disappointing to see a valued trader/posters kind offer of help removed, especially when no rules have been broken.

elliehen, Feb 2, 9:58pm
Yes, I'm sure that will work - the nutmeg/parmesan grater is about the same size as the smallest grater on the all-purpose cheese grater. Just check for any extra-big nutmeg chunks that fall off and pick them out.

cookessentials, Feb 3, 12:18am
kermitz-I was happy to just send you some. Most people here know how to get hold of me-but I have been warned that my message board priveledges will be cancelled. Someone will no doubt give you directios and I am happy to send it to you

bedazzledjewels, Feb 3, 12:28am
Unbelievable!

uli, Feb 3, 12:34am
elliehen - ARE you one of the moderators?

elliehen, Feb 3, 2:06am
uli, NO, of course NOT! Why? ? ... ... are YOU? ? ? ?

eastie3, Feb 3, 3:23am
I saw mace at Moore Wilson last week, it was in at least a reasonably large bag, not the small packs that you would usually expect to see. I realise this isn't going to help kermitnz1, but I have seen queries about this recently so Wellington area people may be interested.

fugazi71, Feb 3, 3:35am
You think maybe the moderator was thinking of the mace that you spray in the face of a would be predator? ? ? ! ! ! 'cause I think (but may be wrong) that that is illegal in NZ.