What can I use instead of Mace please?

Page 2 / 2
pickles7, Feb 3, 3:49am
Gregg's puts out a pkt of ground mace , it is not a popular spice , it can be a little bitter compared with nutmeg. . I use quite a bit of it in sauces , as I like strong flavoured sauces. . It would not be nice on top of a rice pudding. .

sazrim, Feb 3, 3:57am
try an indian grocery shop, they usually have good prices and all kinds of herbs and spices that you may find hard to come by or expensive in the supermarkets. Bulk packets are available too which are cost effective if you use particular spices regularly. I bought a big packet of coriander powder which was about 250g size so at least five times bigger than a pkt from supermarket and it was $1. 90!

kermitnz1, Feb 3, 4:10am
Thanks heaps guys, we don't have any Asian or Indian type shops here or in our nearest towns unfortunately. And yes it is the Greggs one that is missing off the shelves here and in town the two nearest towns as well, maybe they don't produce it anymore?

Thank you heaps cookessentials, I really appreciate the offer, but I don't want you to get in any trouble, so I have bought Whole nutmeg and I will give that a go with the tiny holes in my cheese grater, it seems it should give me a good flavor too which will be great.

Thanks again for all of the advice and the suggestions :-)

cookessentials, Feb 3, 4:16am
You can go to trademe cooks which is not illegal as far as I know! I am a moderator there and I am happy to help you.

cookessentials, Feb 3, 4:24am
Hi Karen (kermitnz1) you must know of the wee cookware shop that is in Waimate? ? let me know if you do because i can send you a pack of mace to them. I know Peter and his wife very well and I am sure they would hand the packet to you if required - and for the MOANER - no , I wont be charging for or making a profit from it.

kermitnz1, Feb 3, 4:41am
I haven't seen a wee cookware shop in Waimate cookessentials, we are in South Canterbury Waimate, or are you thinking of the North Island Waimate? The only wee shop I can think of is Westside gifts, but that is a gift shop lol, I'm confused. Please don't tell me that I've lived here for 7 years and out of the 12 odd shops we have I've totally missed a kitchenware shop pmsl.

I really appreciate you trying to help though, if I could get hold of some it is something I would definitely use :-)

uli, Jul 29, 8:10am
kermitnz1 - why don't you simply order some online and be done with it?

http://www.namastefoodandspices.co.nz/javantri-mace-ground-5
0gm-xidp254259.html

50g cost $3
The shop is at 40A Carr Road.

Good luck with your plum sauce.
Mt Roskill, Auckland