Glass Top Stoves.

Page 1 / 2
us109, Nov 12, 10:37pm
I'm moving house.

I stir fry a lot in a wok.

And before you ask no I'm not Asian I'm born and bred kiwi without any Asian roots whatsoever!

Anyway my problem is I have an electric stove with elements I brought this metal ring that fit around the element and allow me to sit my wok onto it without it tipping off.

So my "NEW" place that I'm moving into has a glass top stove, will I be able to still use my "WOK" then!

('o,')
<((>
_/ \_

lilyfield, Nov 12, 10:45pm
you can- but I wouldn't because the ring will scratch the glass eventually.
Buy an electric wok, or a cheap separate gascooker for it. One of those canister camping ones will do nicely

elliehen, Nov 12, 11:43pm
I have an electric wok that does a perfect job.And why protest about your lack of Asian heritage!There are lots of 'born and bred' kiwis who are lucky enough to be second and third generation Chinese - getting the best of both worlds!

us109, Nov 12, 11:47pm
I think the electric wok, will be ideal!

Thanks for your input.

us109, Nov 12, 11:49pm
Sorry about the "Asian" bashing!

But I think the electric wok a good idea!

Thanks for your input.

elliehen, Nov 12, 11:51pm
They do spit.I put a large chopping board on my stovetop and stand it on that rather than the bench so that it doesn't spit all over the nearby cookbooks :)

us109, Nov 13, 12:21am
Oh! Thanks for the tip!

imn, Nov 13, 2:22am
I have a ceramic stove and use a wok no problem. Dont have a ring or anything. Just sit it on and cook.

us109, Nov 13, 2:45am
I don't have a flat bottom on my wok it's round and tends to tilt to one side!

buzzy110, Nov 13, 3:05am
A large pot works just as well for most stir frying in my experience. Like you, I cook this way a lot.

Just an aside about glass top stoves. A few (and I mean a very few) will work like an electric stove, pumping out a measured amount of heat continuously - i.e. high = high, low = low and everything in between. Most though work by turning the element onto high then when it reaches the desired temperature it switches itself back off. This leads to simmering stews that run dry, burnt steaks and sheer hideousness when trying to gently cook something at a medium or low heat, like fish, eggs, sausages, etc. I hope you can overcome the problems I encountered when I had one if it is like I described. The one before that was brilliant.

coreblimey, Nov 13, 3:20am
I have a glass top stove (ceramic hob) and I hate it with a passion.It is either on or off, high or off.Nothing in between.Useless.

us109, Nov 13, 3:29am
Hmmm. I might just replace to stove with an element one!

us109, Nov 13, 3:30am
Oh well! Hmmm. I might just replace to stove with an element one!

buzzy110, Nov 13, 5:14am
I sympathise. In the end I smashed mine (a genuine accident btw when the extractor fan fell on it when I was cleaning it) and had it replaced with a cheaper radiant element hob. Oh the blessed relief. I found I could cook again.

us109, Nov 13, 5:54am
Point taken!

I'm looking at buying an apartment for 600,000.00.

Maybe I could knock off 10-15k of the asking price! lol.

Then I will be able to buy myself an electric element hob and my apple computer!

('o,')
<((>
_/ \_

buzzy110, Nov 13, 5:55am
Love your little man btw.

us109, Nov 13, 6:33am
So do I.

('o,')
<((>
_/ \_

leesil, Nov 13, 6:49am
Are they supposed to do that! I've had one for a year and thought it was faulty. Hate it soo much.

lilyfield, Nov 13, 7:03am
they are not supposed to do that. its just that the thermostats don't last on the darn thing. I have replaced many- so sorry i have ever bought the glass hob.( Mental note to me- have an accident)

imn, Nov 13, 7:05am
lol oh well thats different then. Dont know if you can buy those rings for ceramic stoves. Ask kitchen shops like stevens, kitchen n things etc.

us109, Nov 13, 7:14am
I think I will just buy a "New Electric Element Hob Top."

Sound like those glass top are a real problem indeed!

cookessentials, Nov 13, 7:28am
I have a glass top stove. I have one halgogen element ( the one that heats, then drops back once temp is reached,then on again ( it;s great for simmering) the other three are ordinary ones that heat well. It is a DeLonghi. I would not personally choose a glass /ceramic top but this was in the house when we bought it. You can get woks with a flat bottom for electric hobs.

us109, Nov 13, 8:14am
Well my mind is made up! Not that I do much cooking anyway. lol.

I'm going to just buy a "New Electric Element Hob Top."

('o,')
<((>
_/ \_

elliehen, Nov 13, 11:01am
What happened to the dream apartment in Devonport!

aktow, Nov 13, 2:04pm
no no no,, not even with out a ring .the tops scratch real easy and awok will not get enough heat. you need aflat bottom service. we had to buy new pots as our old pots were uneven from years of use. i bought a new bid fry pan and my stir fry and fried rice turns out real good.