I made crackers! soooooooooooooo good

Page 2 / 2
jen211, Oct 7, 10:31pm
Thanks for this recipie pheeps1, made these earlier this morning. They are delicious.in fact I see that they have just about all gone.

pheebs1, Oct 3, 1:11am
i have had this recipe for along time and never used
so much nicer and cheaper than a box of shapes that has goodness knows what in it

here it is its an alison (God bless her )holst

2 cups plain flour
1 tbs of golden syrup or malt
1/2 tsp of salt
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
25-50 gms of butter
your preference more makes it flakier
1/2 to 1 cup water- cold

then you can add what you like in terms of flavour i put in maggi onion soup once kids love a good tablespoon or two of masterfoods garlic and herb salt of course then omit the other salt
add herbs parmesan anything you like paprika
the list goes on

bang all the dry ingredients in the food processor and the butter
wizz it up and slowly drizzle in the water till it miraculously forms a ball and hey presto theres the dough!
i alway ad more water than the recipes half cup a softer dough is easier for me to roll thinner and then if you have added other things it compensates

cut dough into three roll really thinly
cut into shapes or rustic strips if your lazy like me
bake 180 fan till just golden
i get at least 4 tray worth
cool on a rack till theyre all done then if you like them really crispy like i do place them all back in the oven in a big roasting tray and turn the oven off 'leave for an hour or so till crispy

i will never buy storebought again!
it must cost less than $1 to make the eqivalent of 2-3 boxes of shapes
i took them to playgroup for the kids and the parents and kids hoovered them
they actually thought id bought some sort of expensive gourmet kind
ha!

sam284, Oct 3, 1:14am
Thanks Pheebs I will definately be giving these a go! When you return the to the oven once cooled do you just use up whatever heat is left in the oven from the original bake!

pheebs1, Oct 3, 1:18am
yes thats right no need to turn oven back on as we no longer want to cook them just crisp them
otherwise they are a bit soft like huntly and palmers and i like mine really crisp so they last longer
altho saying that i have made about 5 batches since i first discoveredthem as i cant get the family to stop eating them!

pickles7, Oct 3, 9:39pm
Yes I do re-roll the scraps, just lay the pastry out flat over a largish area.
Random shapes are great for dipping as snacks.

had to go get the pic from another blog I am a member of. lol .

antoniab, Oct 17, 7:16pm
Yum Im going to make these - my husband goes through crackers like nobodys business!

pheebs1, Oct 17, 8:02pm
great to see people making their own!
i have tweaked this recipe soo much by now
i uses half white half wholemeal and i often add mustard powder paprika or chilli powder, or onion flakes to the mix
and lately have been adding at the rolling out stage a sprinkle of chia and sesame seeds or flaxseeds too

putting them all back in a turned off oven at the end definately makes for a crispy cracker
and i love that you can add what you like to it
onion soup, chicken stock powder, dried herbs a few oats, some hard cheese etc
i have also rolled the mix into straws, great for dipping!
then you get the

pheebs1, Oct 17, 8:05pm
oh also i have taken to baking them longer and lower at around 150-160 as i hate a brown cracker
but again you adjust to suit yourselves!

kiwitrish, Oct 17, 8:44pm
Thanky you for sharing that recipe.I am going to give them a try as they sound so delicious.

flower-child01, Oct 17, 9:18pm
These are heavenly

Cheese crackers

2 cups flour
90g chilled butter, cubed
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
flaky sea salt

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the flour in a food processor then add the butter and pulse to form fine breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and 3/4 cup water and continue to pulse until a dough starts to form.

Tip the dough on to a floured bench and lightly knead until it comes together. Divide the mixture into 3 and roll each portion out very thinly. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, and roll again very lightly to stick the salt to the dough. Cut into rectangles then place on a baking tray. Prick all over with a fork then bake for 5-7 minutes or until light golden and crisp.

lyndyhopper, Oct 18, 9:10am
those crackers look great.

taurus2005, Oct 18, 10:25pm
Going to try these adding a tsp of ground cummin seeds.

horizons_, Oct 19, 11:30pm
I grind flax seed, sesame seed and sunflower seeds together and use this in my mix along with whole sunflower, sesame and poopy seeds. My base recipe is 2 c wholemeal flour, 1 tsp BP, 1/2-1 tsp salt (himalayan) 2 tbsp oil, and water to make kneadable dough. I also smoke my own peppercorns and these are a great addition (2 tbsp) too. I'm going to add garlic, rosemary and parmesan to my next brew.

lodgelocum, Oct 20, 2:14am
These are just the best, I make them quite often and yes, they to go too quickly.

caitlin, Oct 27, 6:27am
just made those lavoshe crackers . amazing! I'd made some before with linseed, sesame and pumpkin seeds, but the lavoshe were way better!

lodgelocum, Oct 27, 8:09am
I know, lavosh crackers are so yum, I make a batch, next minute they are all gone! But I am going to try the cream crackers recipe above, they sound yum too.

lodgelocum, Oct 27, 8:09am
I know, lavosh crackers are so yum, I make a batch, next minute they are all gone! But I am going to try the cracker crackers recipe above, they sound yum too.