Flybuys Rewards.Cheesemaking Kit.anyone.

Page 1 / 2
rovertniloc, Aug 29, 4:14am
tried this and how did it work out!

jed, Aug 29, 4:30am
I just received a kit but haven't opened it yet.It's a Fathers Day pressie.But there is a thread on here which has a lot of discussion on cheesemaking.I also watched some u tube footage as well.Just put cheese making in the keyword box on the left and choose 'last year' and you should get some info coming up.

jed, Aug 29, 4:32am
Bumped for you.

davidt4, Aug 29, 5:39am
I don't know which kit is attached to the Flybuys reward, but I have the Artisan's One Day Kit and it is great, very easy to follow the instructions and the fresh cheeses are fantastic.

rovertniloc, Aug 29, 5:45am
Where did you get your kit davidt4 and what was the cost please!

davidt4, Aug 29, 6:28am
I got mine from the brewing supplies shop in Mt Eden Rd, Auckland, opposite Galbraith's and it cost $179.You can get them by mail order direct from Mad Millie:

http://www.madmillie.com/store/nz/cheesemaking-kits.html

The web site has a list of stockists.

shop-a-holic, Aug 29, 7:00am
Warning! Cheese Making Kits are very addictive. Of the three wheels of cheddar I made, we have chomped through two of them. Time to make more :-)

jed, Aug 29, 7:32am
The kit from flybuys is a Mad Millie kit :-)

cookessentials, Aug 29, 8:18am
The mad millie kits are great

macwood2, Aug 29, 9:05am
Am going to Katherine Mowbray cheesemaking course next month - really looking forwward to it.It is at West Melton - Chch.

ruby19, Aug 29, 7:08pm
I have ever so subtly left out the mad milles pamphlet, as it is my birthday next week . Hopefully hubby will take note, as he always mentions he was going to book me on a course!

waipawa, Aug 29, 7:46pm
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers" - Brian of Nazareth

catlover28, Aug 29, 9:56pm
what extras do you need to buy for one of those!

davidt4, Aug 29, 10:00pm
If you have a full kit all you need to buy is the milk.After a few batches of cheese you will need to replenish the cheese salt.

pickles7, Aug 29, 10:16pm
Hastings Bin Inn, had "cheese making kits" well under $100.00.Probably will need to get extra bits and pieces, but no doubt most kitchens have the equipment already. Like most things, a bit of research, and all most people will need to buy, is the "cultures".

eurika, Sep 16, 7:25am
Do you need to buy any equipment other than the Mad Millie kit to make cheese!

davidt4, Sep 16, 9:21pm
See my post # 14 above.

fifie, Sep 16, 9:49pm
Made 4 litres of farm milk up into ricotta cheese yesterday using this MM beginners kit. Amazed how easy it was cheese is lovely and creamy, Go for it #1 you get4 soft cheese recipes to get you started, when i'm confident with thesewill be buying the feta kit. One question i have is can i use this cheese in a cheese cake! have a yummy new C/cake recipe with a berry jelly topping am wanting to try.

narnas1, Sep 16, 10:21pm
Just had a look at the flybuys site and its 200 pts for the Beginers Italian kit - looks real interesting,also had a look at the Mad Millie site and its $179 for the basic equipment kit - Christmas is coming. Have always wanted to have a go at making cheese.

davidt4, Sep 16, 11:47pm
I think it would be best to use a recipe that is designed for ricotta, as ricotta has a different texture to cream cheese.It is more delicate and isn't greasy and claggy.Here's a simple ricotta tart that I have made with great success.Don't expect it to be like an everyday cheesecake though, it is much lighter.

Italian Cheesecake

Line 20cm flan tin with paté sucrée and blind bake until just coloured.

Filling

250g ricotta, drained 30 min.
2 eggs
1/3 c caster sugar
1 tab. white flour
¼ c. grappa or kirsch or brandy or rum

Beat well and add

2 tab. raisins

Pour into shell, bake 150 °C 45 min. or until set.Serve cool.

Can also add chopped candies citrus peel or toasted pine nuts.

fifie, Sep 17, 12:39am
Thank you DavidT i thought maybe thats the case wasn't sure some say you can use it, was getting a bit confused. Your recipe sounds nice might try it. I'm a newbie to all this cheese making so its a learning curve for me.Morazellais my next mission after i use up tubs of the ricotta, first lesson learn't don't make so much up at a time lol .

seaturtle, Sep 17, 1:11am
Mmmm we have just finished eating home made fetta & ricotta spinich filo roll with a dash of tomato chutney on the side

To make the ricotta I firstly made butter from cream then heated the liquid that came out of the butter to 90 deg then added a teaspoon of citric acid
left the pot until it cooled, then strained into my cheese pot . done and ready to use!
Making my own butter is expensive but if I can get a ricotta from the 1ltre of cream as well I feel that it is good value
I love my mad milly beginers kit. and I cant wait to have a go at the hard cheeses.

jmhb51, Sep 17, 4:19am
I purchased a beginner's kit from Mad Millie and think it is a total rip-off.

I had most of the ingredients already in my cupboards:
- Maldon salt is not iodised and 'cheese salt' is just that.
- I had citric acid- and, anyway, I prefer the flavour of lemon juice.
- I find a hanky or an old pillowslip more useful for draining than the muslin.And I had lots of muslin left over from the baby days.
- Ricotta basket - I use my sieve for draining.Tried the ricotta basket for ricotta insalata.The basket is v-shaped.How do you invert the moulded cheese in a v-shaped container!
- Sanatiser.I use a little bleach which is as effective as iodine.
- The thermometer is only useful with large quantities of cream/milk.
I wasted expensive cream until they told me that there are notches 6 cm up the thermometer.If these are not immersed in the liquid the thermometer doesn't work.Why don't they mention this!And I don't want to experiment with 2 litres of cream!
- The booklet has contradictions in the ingredient lists of the recipes as well as omitting vital information on methods.

I wasted my $40.And their expensive 'vats' and 'aging thingy' are only a plastic container and a chiily bin!I already have lots of those.

Don't buy this kit.I went on the internet and found loads of useful tips and recipes.A quick internet search and you'll be making beautiful cheese like me.Spend your money on ingredients.

davidt4, Sep 17, 4:38am
Didn't you read the list of the contents of the kit before you bought it!Here is the information from the Mad Millie website, which is also reproduced on the box:

"Has all that you need to make around 15 batches of cheese (approx 7.5kg). And it only takes around one hour per recipe! Kit Includes: Small Ricotta Mould with Draining Container, Vegetarian Rennet Tablets (10), Cheese Salt, Butter Muslin, Citric Acid, Pipette, Calcium Chloride, Iodophor Sterilizer, Stainless Steel Thermometer, Kit Instructions and Recipes . "

luvmykicks, Sep 17, 5:22am
Mum got a mad millie one from fly buys and brang me some delicious mozzarella yesterday!